What's new

What style of facial hair do you have?

^ That's a good tip on the goatee trimming. I've always just used a beard trimmer to trim my hair up. I always wanted a chin goatee with the middle a bit longer than the corners, and the trimmer always seem to take too much off. So when the time comes, I'll have to remember the scissors.

^ That's a good tip on the goatee trimming. I've always just used a beard trimmer to trim my hair up. I always wanted a chin goatee with the middle a bit longer than the corners, and the trimmer always seem to take too much off. So when the time comes, I'll have to remember the scissors.

The ones I use are 7" barber shears that belonged to my grandfather ... they are way too big. I'd recommend about a 5" scissors for trimming a goatee. I remember seeing a brand of scissors called FROMM that was demonstrated to me in a beautician supply store, these were so good you could actually HEAR the difference when the blades came together. They were in the $25 range, and I regret not picking up a pair when I saw them.

I use a regular set of hair clippers to trim down the bulk, with a #2 or #4 guard depending on the season. This also is too big, but the smaller clippers I've seen are either crappy construction or else priced out of reach. The one I want is the Wahl Peanut, but best price I've seen on those is around $40. Get one with a regular AC cord rather than a battery, appropriate blade guards, and don't forget the maintenance tools like clipper oil and a small brush to keep it clean.

When you get your gear together, just comb out your goatee so the whiskers are sticking out sideways from your mouth. Then cut in as close as you want it to be. Then comb the whiskers in towards your mouth and trim again. Snip along the upper lip to define the moustache line, a half-inch at a time, instead of just one long cut all the way across.

If you're doing it yourself, it may be hard to get it all symmetrical the first couple of times. If you can get SWMBO to do it for you, great, if not, be prepared to live with an uneven result the first 2 or 3 times until you get the hang of it.

I think I trim my beard okay on my own, only tried with scissors once along time ago, and from what I remember it was pretty even all around. I'm only sporting side burns now with a nice shaved face. :001_cool:

My winter beard concept/idea is rapidly falling to the wayside... I can't stop using my shave gear. I think it's a sickness...

I've decided to follow the winter beard as well but it's coming in somewhat patchy. May trim it up soon and if nothing starts growing in the patches I'll probably go clean shaven again. I'm only 23 and haven't grown it out much before.

I've been rocking a beard since the days started getting cooler up here. Clean shaven neck every morning and kept between a #3-#5.

Anyone go with a Abe Lincoln beard? I was thinking of trying that because growing a mustache irritates my lip don't know if I could pull that look off though

Just shaved my full beard into a goatee and already regret it as I tend to get mad razor rash on my neck. Would grow it back but Movember is just around the corner so will wait until December!

Sometimes clean shaven sometimes stubble. I let it grow for 3 or 4 days then I shave. Sometimes I shave everyday for a while.

$Lullabuga456.jpg

I picked up a pair of these 5" scissors yesterday.
http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Non-s...92624&sr=8-2&keywords=fiskars+detail+scissors

My set has stainless steel blades, while the one on Amazon says Titanium.
The size and shape are the same, though.
I paid just over $4 for mine at AAFES.

My grandfather's 7" barber shears that I've been using for years and years were far too big to trim my goatee and moustache.
These new scissors are very comfortable and precise. I highly recommend them.

Currently it's growing in however it wants; I haven't shaved in over a month.

But back in September I shaved my beard off, and on the way I came up with this:
$fhair.jpg

SWMBO and rest of family were not in favor of it, so I walked around with it that for a couple hours until I just finished shaving it off. I'm tempted to do it again and see how the general public reacts, haha!

SWMBO and rest of family were not in favor of it, so I walked around with it that for a couple hours until I just finished shaving it off. I'm tempted to do it again and see how the general public reacts, haha!

Just ditch SWMBO and rest of family! :lol: :laugh:

I think it suits you. But I would trim it a little shorter :blink::thumbup1:

Just ditch SWMBO and rest of family! :lol: :laugh:

I think it suits you. But I would trim it a little shorter :blink::thumbup1:
Hahaha! Thanks, but I dunno how well that would go over. :lol: I actually hadn't trimmed the length of it in that picture. I was just shaving it off and stopped at that point.

Sometimes clean shaven sometimes stubble. I let it grow for 3 or 4 days then I shave. Sometimes I shave everyday for a while.

Yup this is the same routine I follow. I mainly shave every 3-4 days, but sometimes everyday. Just depends on my mood and how well the shaves I get are. If I end up with irritation, I'll wait 3-4 days before the next shave. If I get an amazing shave with 0 irritation...well why not shave everyday?

Edit: Just rockin' sideburns with the clean shaven look. I really like this style one me, and it looks even better with 3-4 days of growth coming in.

Yup this is the same routine I follow. I mainly shave every 3-4 days, but sometimes everyday. Just depends on my mood and how well the shaves I get are. If I end up with irritation, I'll wait 3-4 days before the next shave. If I get an amazing shave with 0 irritation...well why not shave everyday?

Yes indeed. Depends on the mood. Sometimes I just want to shave everyday, as I really enjoy the routine and trying different soaps, etc. But sometimes I get too relaxed about it and it's when the neck starts getting itchy again hehe :001_rolle:thumbup:

Just shaved the handlebar mustache. had been growing it since December. Got a lot of compliments on it. The wife was getting a little tired of it and I was growing weary of all the grooming. Feels good without it.

My mustache and I have been together for a long time...around 40 years. Over the years I have styled it differently. For the last while I am sporting a "Monopoly Man" style.

$image.jpeg

Top Bottom