What's new

Creed Mayfair-an old classic re-relased

I just got an email from Creed about this:
The House of Creed releases Royal Mayfair, a vaulted scent that honors the Duke of Windsor, the famed British royal synonymous with taking risks in life, love and style. An homage to sartorial icons who push traditional fashion boundaries, Royal Mayfair debuts nearly 80 years after its original commission as one of the brand’s most coveted accords and significant men’s launches since Aventus in 2010, at a time when menswear is more prominent than ever. On Presale -Expected ship date: 7/9/15. Please note that 250ml and 500ml flacons will ship by 8/1/15.

The 1 oz costs $240!!!

Anyone ever hear of this-sounds a little like Windsor?

It is the re-release of Creed Windsor. Whether reformulated and changed, though, will have to wait until it can be smelled. I never smelled Windsor, but it has a strong following on Basenotes.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I LOVE Windsor, and have a Flacon of it. It is definitely a frag that everyone should smell at least once. I know that people had sold decants of the 2009 and 2010 batches for anywhere from $5-$10 per ml, so while the 1oz for $240 is high, it is along the price that people were already paying. Furthermore, you could try waiting a year or so and see if you could pick it up at a place like fragrancenet. I have read that Royal Mayfair should be offered for several years.

I was told that it was the Windsor formulation. I have a few ounces headed my way and my only supply of Windsor ran out a few weeks ago coincidentally, so I will report if that is accurate.

I was told that it was the Windsor formulation. I have a few ounces headed my way and my only supply of Windsor ran out a few weeks ago coincidentally, so I will report if that is accurate.

Have you rec'd it yet? Same as Windsor?

I only had a sample of windsor purchased on ebay. Royal Mayfair is definitely very similar and maybe the same (ive only worn it once by itself). Its rich and tobacco-ey like windsor. Its unlike any other fragrance i have tried. I really like it and think you can also combine it with lighter citrus/green fragrances for a more normal cologne. I wonder if Royal Mayfair would be attractive to woman or is it something just guys like? I would say its a winter fragrance, so ive put it in the drawer and am using my summer fragrances now.

Have you rec'd it yet? Same as Windsor?

I received my bottle of Royal Mayfair when I returned from work yesterday. I'm happy to say that I can't tell the difference from my dwindling supply of Windsor. I'm very pleased with it.

In my opinion, Windsor and Royal Mayfair are markedly different in their opening: Windsor is much richer and deeper, while Royal Mayfair is lighter and somewhat medicinal (not in a bad way). Windsor seems to open with Rum or Cognac, while Royal Mayfair seems to open with Gin and perhaps even Eucalyptus (which is supposed to be one of its base notes). While the two fragrances do become nearly identical in the dry-down, Windsor to my nose still seems to project a bit of richness and depth (I liken it to Rum or Cognac), which is clearly missing from Royal Mayfair.

Windsor is also noticeably darker in color than Royal Mayfair.

In my opinion, Royal Mayfair is an absolutely wonderful fragrance, which is nearly identical to Windsor. I would say that Royal Mayfair is just a touch more contemporary than Windsor. I suspect Creed reformulated ever so slightly either to make the fragrance more appealing to the masses or to increase profit margin (or both).

My Windsor was used up several months before the Royal Mayfair arrived, so I can't exactly compare, but it sure seems the same. Both have the same strong tabacco note that lasts... lasts... lasts.... lasts. Timothy might be right, but I'm not discerning enough to note such a subtle difference.

I like it, but it is STRONG. I am more inclined to use it as a base spray and then layer something with good middle/top notes, e.g. Aventus or Himalaya water or such.

Top Bottom