What's new

Is anyone else on here a HUGE World War II buff.or just me?

I like to discuss both world wars but I'm pretty weak on the military strategies, individual battles, etc. but I'd like to learn more. I'm somewhat more familiar with the political and social aspects.

+1. Me too. I'm a pretty big history buff all around.

She had a saying at the time that struck a chord: "If Hitler had left the battlefield command to his generals, we'd all be speaking German here today."

I'd be at a tremendous disadvantage to argue with her, but, Hitler made a couple of good military tactical choices early in the war (an advance through the Ardennes forest is one example) but those went to his head.

One of my history instructors made a good point when he said something like: Hitler shot himself in the foot by the Jewish persecution. Albert Einstein is a prime example of one scientist who conceivably might have helped to Germany beat us to "The Bomb". On the other hand, Werner von Braun was there for the duration of the war (V-1, V-2 etc). I think they were also the 1st country to develop a jet fighter for the Luftwaffe and I suspect WvB had a hand in that too.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm sure the OP has seen most of the documentaries out there, but may not have seen this one: Wartime Farm

Three historians spend a year working an historically-preserved WWII-era farm "the way it was" ... lots of interesting info in there! Episode One:

Watching my chain-smoking hard drinking Uncles struggle through life was my WWII history lesson.

I have tremendous respect for those who rose to the challenges of that war. I am interested in history in general, and many periods of history specifically, but I find my interest in WWII history to be inspired by a deep sense of admiration for the suffering, endurance, and all-around "KBO'ing" from that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tremendous respect for those who rose to the challenges of that war. I am interested in history in general, and many periods of history specifically, but I find my interest in WWII history to be inspired by a deep sense of admiration for the suffering, endurance, and all-around "KBO'ing" from that time.

Amen.

I grew up surrounded by WWII vets including family members and have been a WWII aviation and U-boat buff since a child.

The thing that fascinates me about WWII is pondering where we would be now if it hadn't happened. The boom times and technological advances spurred by that war are amazing. Would we have gone to the moon by now? Would we have satellites, computers, cell phones, microwave ovens, etc. by now? On the other hand, would we have nuclear weapons by now? I'm guessing so, but the impact on humanity based on that particular war and whether or not we would be better or worse off if it hadn't happened is remarkable.

It's also interesting to ponder what the world would be like now if the Axis had won.

I don't know if I'd call myself a WWII buff, but I find it endlessly fascinating. My father's first ship was sunk by a mine laid by a U-Boat on his first time underway in 1943, so I've always been intrigued by his generation. Most fathers of my friends when I was growing up were WWII vets, who simply went home, went to work, or to school then to work, and got on with their lives. Heroes, every one. Now we have another generation of combat vets to take care of as they rebuild their lives. We owe them our support.

It's also interesting to ponder what the world would be like now if the Axis had won.

Having read Mein Kamph I shudder to think what would have turned out!

Watching Band of Brothers again (I think the fourth time now) Every time I see Winters portrayed in it I'm so thankful I wrote to him and got my autographed photo of him. He and all those men were such heros.

Highly recommend Library of America's "Reporting WWII." Two volume set reprint of journalist's coverage. Ernie Pyle, Bill Mauldin, A.J. Liebling, etc. Exceptional first person accounts. Exciting to read as these journalists did not yet know who would win. Appendix has great timelines of battles, strategies.

Most of the books I read I get from the library, this set I own.

Last edited:
Just finished watching "Hang Tough" on Amazon Prime. It's about Winters' life and the memorial that was erected in his honor in Normandy. It was narrated by the fellow that played Winters in Band of Brothers. Very touching.

World War II (and it's prequel, Great War) was the defining event of the 20th century. Nothing else comes even close.

As someone in his early 50's, I was struck a few years ago by how profoundly American (and Soviet) foreign policy was not just influenced by, but permeated by the second World War. On a personal note, I am now struck by how many men of childhood were veterans of of that war and how many immigrants that I had met who were refugees or war brides who later moved to the US.

P.S. Another big +1 to Rick Atkinson's "The Liberation Trilogy" and anything Dan Carlin does.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
"Don't mention the War. I did once, but I think I got away with it."

--Basil Fawlty.

"Don't mention the War. I did once, but I think I got away with it."

--Basil Fawlty.

$iur.jpg

"Don't mention the War. I did once, but I think I got away with it."--Basil Fawlty.

That was a good episode and I like all 13(?) of the Fawlty Towers episodes. In fact, I bought them on VHS tapes and should get them transferred to DVD.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I heard that the Germans made at least one other tank after the Tiger tank.

You could give us a paragraph or two about this other tank.

learning about ww2 is one of my favorite this to study what always stuck with me was America being able to become a super power after the war do to our infrastructure staying intact another part that interests me is how America helped regular Japan after the war ended if anyone gets the chance too watch the movie emperor good movie showing how the Japanese people dealt with the loss of the war

Top Bottom