What's new

My first single edge, what do you think?

I picked up a gem single edge razor at my favorite antique shop this morning for $12, and just finished shaving with a cvs blade and proraso green. Very comfortable, except I had some issues controlling the angle under my chin; a total DFS without a ton of effort.

I've included photos if you SE fans can help me identify it (and perhaps include links to resources to help me become an educated SE fan). Regardless of its value, with the shave it gives, it's already money well spent.
$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

You couldn't have done better! Many folks think that this razor, the Damaskeene, is the cream of the traditional SE crop. Great price, too...you couldn't have duplicated that on-line. Well done.

The only issue with the CVS blades is that they're not stainless...you must take them out of the razor after each shave, pat them well dry, and maybe even coat them in a little mineral oil with a q-tip...they will rust, fast, otherwise. There are stainless SE blades, but you'll probably have to get them on-line. Depending on how you shave, you can get quite a few shaves out of them, though some think them rather rough for the first shave or two.

That is a nice Damaskeene and a super deal to get nice razor and case for $12. Very well done. Glad you liked the shave.

Yeah, the Closed Comb 1912 Damaskeene is a lovely shaver .....It has what is known as a Round Head.....Some people say that they don't shave any different from later 1912 Clones.....But, I have to say that I find it to be a cut above any of the more Modern 1912 Clone Variants....

In truth, the Damaskeene is the Original and only 1912...:001_cool:.

Thank you for the kind words. I want sure if it was a 1912 since the stamp on the head was a little different from what I had seen, but regardless it was a beautiful shave!

Congrulations, they are very nice razors.

The Damaskeene is my favourite SE (of the ones I have tried).

Yeah, the Closed Comb 1912 Damaskeene is a lovely shaver .....It has what is known as a Round Head
I've got a bunch of Damaskeenes and there are at least 3 top cap styles; one is flat, one is curved, and one is really curved. The OP's razor looks like the curved version, not the really curved, but I can't be certain because of the angle in the photo.

Top Bottom