What's new

Adding Menthol Crystals to AS

I added some menthol crystals to Lime Sec and made a Lime freeze and it is awesome. I added a couple more to the Osage and WOW!!!
What do you add menthol to and how much do you add?

Last edited:
I just tried this for the first time today. I added some menthol crystals to some Imperial Bergamot Aftershave splash. I added a tiny bit - about two crystals' worth - and could barely feel it. I then added about three times again as much, and it became a face freeze. That was a bit more than I wanted; I really wanted just a light cooling sensation, not full on glacial. So, to others who might be considering trying this, go easy until you know you've got your results where you want them.

I have some crystals but haven't added them to anything yet. I've been waiting until I find some, at least to me, suitable smaller glass bottles with flow restrictors in which to concoct a mixture.

I've been adding crystals to preshave oil, lovely cooling action during the shave! Might try it with some AS for the craic.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'll let Nick explain better, but craic is some Irish fun.

I've added some menthol to a couple of my Stirling aftershaves, Coniferous and Gin & Tonic with great results. Respectively, I added 0.75g and 0.5g to the full 100ml bottle. That's not a whole lot, but both wound up being just what I was looking for.

I'd recommend that anyone interested in adding menthol crystals to anything go the extra step of picking up a jeweler's scale. That way, you know what you're doing to your stuff. You can get a quite decent one for about $10.

I've made some ClubMan-Bomb before. I went a little overboard, its frostbite cold, but feels great if there is any irritation from the shave.

I added one to Speick and 1 to Aqua Velva. I've used the liquid version by TSD to add menthol to Stiring's ASB (unscented) and Maggard's Limes & Bergamot.

Thinking of adding some crystals to lime sec. Does it change the scent any? Not like the scent lasts too long on my skin.

I added a few menthol crystals to a tabasco bottle filled with witch hazel and some glycerin. I added 30 drops of lime essential oils yesterday. The lime smell is fleeting unfortunately, but the combo of the three treats my skin well.

I have added it to various aftershaves (decant into another bottle so I do not risk ruining the entire/original bottle) such as Pinaud Clubman and Florida Water. Really good stuff.

I've added menthol crystals to Aqua Velva Ice Blue to give it the same chill as Skin Bracer. I've also added menthol crystals to Old Spice aftershave along with lime and sweet orange essential oils to turn an aftershave that I didn't like the smell of that much into something I wear quite often.

Recently added 4 or 5 menthol crystals to a couple ounces of both Skin Bracer and Brut (to be clear: 4 or 5 crystals to each AS). I just *knew* it would work well with SB (and it did) but I'm also enjoying the effects on Brut. Not much effect on smell (thankfully) but the added freeze benefit is exactly what I wanted. SB already has a fair amount of menthol and the crystals just amplified the effect. Brut AS has much less menthol and the additional crystals really bring it up to par. Not done experimenting yet but so far so good.

Top Bottom