What's new

The Two-Pass (CONUS) Passaround Box

Howdy, thanks for clicking in.

I just passed my six-month-iversary of DE shaving. Along the way, I have had the pleasure of learning a ton from the esteemed members of this forum. I’ve posted dumb questions and gotten great answers. I've loaned out a 1980 English Ball-end Tech to a curious workmate and taught my best friend how to face-lather. I've bought and tried a number of soaps and brushes, and given brushes, creams and blades to friends as gifts. I've been the lucky recipient of a PIF - a puck of DR Harris Lavender that I could't seem to bowl-lather for anything...but that's a story for another time.

Most important, I've gained a real appreciation for a practice that I hated for many, many years, and it's become a beloved ritual rather than a necessary evil. There's no way to measure the joy that comes with that transformation.

Now it's time for me to pay it forward in my own way. I love the idea of a passaround box, but as anyone who knows me will attest, I can't just stick with the usual system, I have to put my own twist on it. :blush:

And so, I submit to you...

The Two-Pass Passaround Box

The General Rules:

A. We will put in items related to B&B, with an emphasis on wet-shaving, but including items that might be more at home in sub-forums like the Brown Leaf, Haberdashery or Cafe. You could give a cool lighter (that doesn't leak), cuff links, your extra mini-French press, etc.

B. We must put in items of a sum value that is (more or less) equivalent to what we take. If in doubt, increase the value!

C. I will pack up the box with items from my own supplies, including items bought just for this, and ship it to the first recipient. That person will spend no more than one week with the box, taking what he wants and replacing with interesting item/s of equal value. "General Store" purchases (VDH, Williams, etc.) are out of bounds.

D. This will continue until we reach the end of the list and the box will be sent back to me. Then I will start the cycle again, using the same list, in order. Everyone gets two turns with the box!

E. We will plan ahead and put items into the box after considering the likes and dislikes of the people on the list. We have a whole forum's worth of posted preferences, questions and dreams; a little thoughtful research could make this a great thing for all concerned.

The Catch

* When the box reaches you for the second time, you MUST remove-and-replace anything that comes back to you. In other words, if your offering wasn't accepted by the group, you need to take it back and try again. If you followed through on (E), above, this shouldn't be an issue.

The Gentlemen's Agreements

1. If you are interested, you must post "I'm in" and in three or more sentences, share with us your favorite sports-related story from your youth (ages 0 to 12). It can be about you playing a sport, or meeting a sports hero, or calling the cops on the neighbors' kickball game as a precocious six-year-old, or whatever. No story, no entry - entertain us! :biggrin1:

2. Around 7pm PT on Thursday, 7/9/15, I'll close the entry window and select 14 additional participants to join me in this little adventure. If more than 14 people signed up, I'll use a random number generator.

3. I will post the list in this thread, hopefully by 10pm PT. If you are selected, you will need to PM to me your:
- Real name
- Screen name
- Email address
- Snail mail address
- Phone number

4. I will set up the list by zip codes to keep shipping costs as low as possible. This is a "two-pass" passaround, meaning that you will get the box twice, so plan to spend around $20 on shipping each time, probably 3 months apart. We’re using the USPS Priority Mail Regional Rate Box – A1, which is about 10x7x5 and holds up to 15#.

5. You will send me a picture of the contents of the box upon receipt, and a picture of what you put in and take out, and I will give you the approval for the trade.

6. You will put the picture of your takes in the thread, but you won't list or mention what you put in so we keep the suspense alive.

7. Within reason, gently used items are fine, and you must be okay with receiving used items. Acceptable used items include razors, brushes, pipe stands, bow ties and other hard goods. Just don't send used blades or cigars, eh? Any used soft goods must be 95% or better. Above all, everything must be clean and well-packaged!

8a. I will take a little time to research the downstream participants and round up some items that will be appreciated.
8b. We will send the box on to the next player within one week of receipt – let’s keep it moving!

9. With apologies to our other brothers, I'm keeping this limited to CONUS because of what could be shipped.

This is my first attempt at something like this, so if anything is not clear or there’s a glaring omission, please let me know. And I want to offer a special thanks to hotreds who, without knowing it, helped me shape the rules for this thing. :001_smile

My sports story:

My son is 10 years old and plays competitive traveling soccer. It’s the expensive type with a professional coach, but seeing him develop on the field and as a person makes it all worth it, and brings me back to my time playing soccer in Texas – a skinny white kid just learning the game at age 7, playing with all the Hispanic kids who had been playing since they could walk. On one particular afternoon, I was in goal and the other team had a breakaway. One kid had the ball, dribbling toward me faster than I could run alone, and my defenders were hopelessly out of the play. I decided that my only chance was to charge, so that’s what I did, arms flapping wide to make a bigger wall. He took a big touch, letting the ball get ahead of him, and I dove for it…but like Willie Mays Hayes stealing second in Major League, I landed short of the ball. That kid planted one cleat-clad foot on top of my outstretched hand and kicked a strike into the goal with the other. I still have little scars from the spikes!

So…who’s in?

I'm in. Great Concept!

While catching in little league baseball I turned around during a game and told my mother (who was front center in the bleachers behind home plate) to "be quiet". On the way back to the plate I was pondering how much trouble I would be in after the game. As I bent down for the next pitch the umpire leaned in and said under his breath but so I could hear, "Thank you".

Im in

I once played hockey for Santa Rosa Flyers. We played for Charles Shultz (snoopy, Charlie Brown) i remember going to San Jose and we got to practice with the San Jose Sharks and were able to hang out with players staff and the coaches. After the practice we were invited to the game for that night in a press box. One of the best sharks games i have been to. The number 1 best game i ever went to was Dec 16 2006 when I asked my wife to marry me. We are both HUGE sharks fans

I'm in!

I played basketball in high school for a very small private school. We played against small public schools. We hadn't had the best of record since the team was really young. During my senior year we had a group of hard workers that practiced and played their hearts out. Now...I wasn't a starter but our bench wasn't really deep so I got a good amount of playing time. I would average about four or five rebounds a game and about as many points. So my senior year my team actually won our district and made it into the state playoffs. We won our first game in a very dramatic fashion and moved on to the next round. During that round we faced a team that was as good as us but really no better. But they had a guy that was a decent scorer but a hell of a rebounder. That game our better guys didn't play their best, so I was in and out of the game a lot. What i remember of the game was that I played solidly. I had about 10 points that game which I was ecstatic about. However, we lost the game. Last game of my career and most of the team's. After the game my coached asked me if I had any idea how many rebounds I had. I told him I really had no idea. It turns that I had defended the other team's guy to only three rebounds and about five points. In the process I grabbed 17 rebounds. So while we as a team lost the last game of many of our careers...I had the best came of mine.

Thanks! This sounds like a great pass around.

I'm in. Great Concept!

While catching in little league baseball I turned around during a game and told my mother (who was front center in the bleachers behind home plate) to "be quiet". On the way back to the plate I was pondering how much trouble I would be in after the game. As I bent down for the next pitch the umpire leaned in and said under his breath but so I could hear, "Thank you".

:lol:

So, um, two takers? I have to admit that I'm a little surprised there isn't more interest. :bored:

If you read this thread and decide you're NOT going to participate, perhaps you can tell me why? That would let me adjust things to appeal to more people.

I'm in! I played midget football ( ages 7-12), and my team was playing in the championship. With a few minutes to go our team's running back broke a 30 yard run for a touchdown to lead and give us the win,except for the fact that one of my teammates clipped a defensive player. The touchdown was called back, we lost the game and the championship. They can't all be feelgood moments in life.

Well, we have four plus me - IMHO, that's not enough to keep a good variety in the box. If I sent out what I plan to include, I would get back at least half of it and, following the rules, would have to replace it. I'm not prepared to do that. I have to say, I'm shocked that there isn't more interest, but maybe I've just made it too convoluted. Of course, being who I am, I'm not willing to compromise on the concept, so it is what it is.

I'll leave this open until we get a total of 10 (five more participants) or until the 24th of July, whichever comes first.

I'm going on vacation to Italy at that time and I plan to stock up on products for myself and this Passaround, but if we don't have 10 by the time I leave, I'm probably just going to kill it. Then, the Italian products are mine...all mine! Muahahahaa!

If we get enough players (or, failing that, if the current players vote to do a mini-Passaround) we'll start on August 10th.

That sounds like a plan to me...I will keep an eye on the thread and try to bump it a time or two to see if we can get some more recruits.

I just saw the thread for the first time, so that's my issue :)

I need to pass for now however, as I have a few months of crazy business and personal travel. The box could sit on my front porch for a week, or cause my wife to scratch her head for a week. :)

My sports story is a day that I'll never forget from when I was about 10. I was playing street hockey with my friends and then my friend brought his stick up to shoot, not realizing I was behind him and POW! Right in the kisser! Lots of blood, pain killers, and two new teeth later, here I am now :)

I'm in, thanks!

Here's a story: My brother was coaching his son's T-ball team. I think he was 6 or 7 at the time. During practice one day a kid hit the ball nicely out into left field and just sort of stood there. My brother called the team together and gave some rather imprecise instructions like "when the ball his hit, run to first base". A minute later a kid tees up the ball and connects nicely...

...and the dugout emptied as every kid on the team ran to first base. I guess that's why they needed practice, huh?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Thanks, for the invite, but not in.

While it would be nice to try different gear, I'm quite content with using what I have (or will have in the next couple of weeks). Plus, I'm suppose to be quite busy off and on until the end of the year, so it also might not be worth it if I end up receiving the box during a busy period.

Last edited:
I'm in.

I've held back from putting may name in, not because I'm a new DE shaver - I've got one shave under my belt - but because I've been wracking my brain to come up with a good sports story from my childhood. I finally remembered one thanks to againstthegrain's story. in my very first t-ball game ever, I was up in the last inning with 2 outs. Our team was losing and, of course, I grounded out. i was so upset because I thought I had lost the game for the team that I ran to our car and locked myself in for 20 minutes until someone finally explained the rules to me.

Great concept for a passaround! I'm not in, but here's a story anyways.

When I was about 10 my Dad was working with a bunch of Marines (he was a government contractor). The Marines were away from home/their base for about a month, so my Dad invited them to our house for a cookout. It was kind of mind-blowing for a little kid, all these big Marines walking around. I was playing catch with one of them and wanted to show off my arm. I launched the baseball from the back of our yard. Unfortunately, my aim was a little off and it drifted towards the window. Three of the Marines ran towards the window to try and catch it, but it went through all their arms and broke the window.

Great stories, guys. I think most of us can relate on some level!

For those of you "not in", I'm sorry that you won't be participating. I think this is gonna be great, and we just need a few more...

Top Bottom