What's new

Where to start, question on box of cigars

So in August I am going on a guys trip to Tahoe for a break from work and to just hang out and have fun. We are fishing, lots of drinking, and then heading into Reno for some gaming. I am looking at bringing a box of cigars just to relax and enjoy. The problem I am running into is we all have a different taste style and some guys smoke cigars and others have not had any exp. with cigars at all. So what would be a good box to look at for a mild easy enjoyable smoke? Thanks all for the help.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
bring what you like, if every one does this you can trade and if you don't like there's you still have what you like to smoke.

For Cigar Time at my daughter's wedding I brought a box of Montecristo Classic Churchhills and a box of H Upmann robustos. Everyone, including the girls, found something to enjoy. That's me, far right.
$cigartime.jpg

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
This from a former cigar afficiando - if a mixed crowd, go cheap that you like. I don't know how many Cohibas (pre-postban) were wasted by my friends who wanted to smoke but hadn't a clue, only to go in the bin. Right now I am pondering what to take on a trip with 20 friends from the fall of 1969. And I haven't bought a cigar in 7 years, trying to thin the old herd

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
For Cigar Time at my daughter's wedding I brought a box of Montecristo Classic Churchhills and a box of H Upmann robustos. Everyone, including the girls, found something to enjoy. That's me, far right.

That's a great picture! Looks like all the girls are holding them like cigarettes and all the guys are holding them like cigars

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Commander Quan has some excellent suggestions. For a good price point, see if you can find Premium House Selection; they're from Ashton, and run about 3-4 bucks apiece, smoke more like 5-6 bucks each.

I use Private Stocks for my everyday cigar. They are cheap (under $100 a box), mild, and everyone seems to be able to handle them.

My advice to you is to get a small, inexpensive humidor and season it properly, then grab a variety of different cigars at your local shop. Get a couple large ones, small ones, torpedoes, salamones, box pressed, chisel-tips, naturals, maduros, oscuros, claros, etc. and let everybody choose the ones that they think best suit them. I have found that this works extremely well with my friends and family, smokers and non-smokers alike. Also, if somebody does not enjoy what they chose, they can choose something different for the next round.

The humidor is a must if you are traveling with the sticks, as even a few hours outside of a humidor can make the cigar taste unpleasant.

PS - Don't forget the cutter and lighter at home!

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
You could also just pick up a box of Padron 1964 Maduros. Anyone who doesn't like them, you shouldn't be friends with. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

just another suggestion, if you don't want to get a humidor, and don't plan on really getting into this hobby, you can ask a local shop if they have any empty cigar boxes, toss that with the cigars you buy into a large ziplock and toss a boveda pack in it. and your good to go. Just becareful not to toss the box around too much as some of the cigars can get damaged.

just another suggestion, if you don't want to get a humidor, and don't plan on really getting into this hobby, you can ask a local shop if they have any empty cigar boxes, toss that with the cigars you buy into a large ziplock and toss a boveda pack in it. and your good to go. Just becareful not to toss the box around too much as some of the cigars can get damaged.

+1 to the cigar box. As much as I smoke, I only keep about 10 or so at a time so I turn an old Padron Diplomatico box into a humidor! I took all of the paper out from the inside, seasoned it, and added a cheap humidifier and hygrometer. Works like a charm!

I don't have experience with the Boveda bag except for calibrating my hygrometer, but I'd recommend packing a few extras with you in case you need them. I wouldn't trust just one to keep my cigars properly humid over a weekend.

Regarding cigars getting damaged, I learned my lesson from packing my cigar box in my checked bags. Stuff the inside of the cigar box with plastic or tissue paper and make sure that those sticks can't move at all!

Another option if you're not trying to age cigars, you just want to preserve and protect a few, is a mason jar. A quart (or was that quart and a half?) widemouth Ball jar fits 4 to 6 cigars handily. If you fill it up you won't even need any humidification control, but if there's just one cigar you might want to drop in a Boveda or similar...though even then it is actually unnecessary. I use a jar like that if I'm taking cigars out for the day or a few days.

Top Bottom