What's new

Shaving Technique

Whether shaving with a straight or DE, one of the recommendations is keeping the skin taut (sp?).

When shaving above the jawline, this can mean holding the opposite hand just above the sideburn to slightly stretch the skin.

Which way should you stretch the skin for the neck area? Does pulling below the neck (towards the chest) pull the hairs down, thus bad technique? Should I use my opposite hand to pull just above the jawline, angling the hairs upward?

I've got a goatee so I don't worry about the upper lip and jaw area.

I have one minor correction to make before I try to answer your question. When you shave with a DE you don't need to stretch the skin as much. You're trying to flatten more then stretch. That said, I don't think it hurts anything if you do stretch the skin.

Now I always just pull down below the jawline. I don't pull hard or anything, but I do want the skin on my neck to be somewhat taut. It helps prevent nicks that way.

I have one minor correction to make before I try to answer your question. When you shave with a DE you don't need to stretch the skin as much. You're trying to flatten more then stretch. That said, I don't think it hurts anything if you do stretch the skin.

Now I always just pull down below the jawline. I don't pull hard or anything, but I do want the skin on my neck to be somewhat taut. It helps prevent nicks that way.

I came with the intentions of making a post, instead I learned something. Thank you vcardona! I never thought of stretching as a way to keep the skin flat.

Anyways, to put my 2 cents in, I stretch to the sides on my neck.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have found that stretching the skin varies depending on the direction of growth and the direction I am shaving. If I am shaving WTG I stretch in the opposite direction, sometimes up, sometimes sideways, sometimes down depending on which way the whiskers grow. When shaving ATG I again stretch in the opposite direction of the shave.

Top Bottom