What's new

And Here's The Sevette

After the furore in the DE world which the devette has caused (an idea from the 1930's where some pioneering shavers ground the guards off their Gillettes for a much better shave: http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=437496 ), here's the sevette - it's what LTJ Bukum would call a Logical Progression. Grind the guard off an SE, though of course leave the blade stops on, for an infinitely aggressive and supremely comfortable shave:
proxy.php

It looks very much like a Praying Mantis and it's going to be fierce but it may also be absolutely amazing.
proxy.php

I'll let you know...

Last edited:
You butcher! You evil man, Marcus! :blink:

I've been mulling this over ... the guard rarely comes into play for me with a 1912. I wonder if it will be any different. Of course, the 1912 is the best shave out there, so if you get the best shave ... it's the 1912, not necessarily the modification. You'll need to try it alongside a regular 1912 as part of the same shave for true comparison.

Good luck! Don't come back crying if your sink fills up with doner meat :lol:

You butcher! You evil man, Marcus! :blink:

I've been mulling this over ... the guard rarely comes into play for me with a 1912. I wonder if it will be any different. Of course, the 1912 is the best shave out there, so if you get the best shave ... it's the 1912, not necessarily the modification. You'll need to try it alongside a regular 1912 as part of the same shave for true comparison.

Good luck! Don't come back crying if your sink fills up with doner meat [emoji38]
I knew you'd love this Paul :)
You'd better tell your 1912s the news...

It shouldn't be too much different than a straight or shavette. Angle and pressure are going to be supremely important.

Yeah - good technique is absolutely vital here.
All the manouverability of a safety with the efficiency of a shavette.

The difference between this and the devette (apart from the number of edges) is the rigidity of the blade.

Rigid blade shavettes like Durham Duplex and Feather AC are amazing shavers so I'm hoping for a good result.
Maybe like a disposable blade Rolls.

And thinking about the Feather AC and Cobra, the next logical progression must be the ivette:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Hahaha! Finally! An injector that might actually shave ...
I wonder what coolbus will make of this!

I'm certainly not trying to offend or shock with these experiments - the ER 1912 and Schick E are both beautiful classic shavers.

And I think these modifications are in the spirit of 1930's shaving.
They transformed the DE so let's see what they can do with the SE and injector...

Remember my Christy? Logically, we're just heading towards a disposable blade Rolls Razor ...
Yes we are Paul! And that will be the ultimate shaver at the end of the rainbow - of all razors it shall wear the crown :)

No maintenance, infinite aggression and total comfort.

I can't wait to start shaving with these, just to find out...

You guys either have way too much time on your hands, or are bored out of your minds.
So, when is the pass around on the 1912 sevette??
I'm in.:thumbup:

You guys either have way too much time on your hands, or are bored out of your minds.
I'm in.[emoji106]
Me too! But it's a long way to Marcus, at least from the Rocky Mountains. Maybe someone stateside will need to make such a device...?

I'm in.[emoji106]

Me too! But it's a long way to Marcus, at least from the Rocky Mountains. Maybe someone stateside will need to make such a device...?
Well I've got a couple more 1912s coming soon, and will happily post a sevette across the water once they arrive...

...or as suggested, maybe someone in the Americas would be bold enough to make one.
It took less than ten minutes with a hacksaw and a pair of pliers.

I know this modification seems a bit brutal and outlandish, especially since there are no cheap modern SEs in production and we have to work with lovely vintage pieces but if the devette is anything to go by it could be well worth the effort.

Unless someone wants to saw the guard off their Cobra Classic :)

First shave with the sevette and a GEM stainless.
proxy.php

Wow!! Even better than expected - like the devette, the sevette just delivered instant true BBS with zero irritation.
But the thicker rigid blade makes for a very smooth shave and allows easy ATG passes (something which the harsher devette does not).

And the sevette makes steep angle SE shaving possible - an unusual and very pleasant experience.

Also stainless blades are normally unpleasant for me but somehow the sevette transformed the GEM Stainless into something great.

This is indeed approximating a disposable blade Rolls and if you're interested in pushing your shave quality into the ultraviolet then you MUST try this...

And sevette 1912 production is giving very consistent results:
proxy.php

Guess that's 1930's British quality for you :)

Shaved with the ivette E this morning:
proxy.php

Shockingly shockingly efficient and very manouverable.
Feels very "needley" on the face like the devette but perhaps a little less comfortable.

It's worth using the ivette just to be amazed, and the devette can made from current production razors and has all those blade choices, but I think the sevette could be the winner here.
It's the Eldorado of all razors - the disposable blade Rolls!

Top Bottom