What's new

Bigelow vs. Proraso Shaving Cream

I would like some clarification on the differences, if any, between Bigelow shaving cream and Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus with green stripes. I've heard people on here saying they are the same thing, then I've heard that proraso recently changed there formula. Based on the price and good reviews, I would like to try out one of these menthol flavors for the summer.

Thank you,
Jeff

They are the exact same formula. Proraso reformulated in 2012. I think it took almost a year for the reformulated Proraso to end up in C.O. Bigelow tubes and on shelves, but I'm pretty sure they are all now reformulated. When Proraso reformulated, they went to the barbershop-looking stripe motif with the more blocky letters. The reformulation was done to remove SLS and parabens so if you see those ingredients on your C.O. Bigelow box you know you have the old formula.

In my opinion, whether you have C.O. Bigelow or Proraso or old formula or new, they all work great and I would use any of them without hesitation.

I got the Prorosa green/white stripe in the mail yesterday and I have to say that I am really impressed! So much that I am going to try their other products as well. Bought mine at Italian Barber along with a tub of Cella and some blades. Have to say they charge decent and are quick to send out their packages.

But then I got a Cella in the same order and used that day before yesterday and seemed to get the best lather, slickness I have ever gotten in the last couple months of shaving with soaps. Have tried Williams, Col. Conk almond, some lime soft soap, and the proraso listed above.

I just might be a soon to be convert to creams/soft soaps.

My wife did this for me yesterday also. Buy two, get one free, AND she had a 20% off coupon they let her use. Three tubes for $16.00. Score!!

If you have a 'Bath and Bodyworks' available to you, wait for the Bigelow buy 2 - get 1 free sale.
+1 ... they run frequent sales, and they sometimes have a deal where you can buy $40 worth and get a $10 coupon back, so you can buy 6 large tubes for a mere $30, or something like that. Its hard to do the "Magic Math" when a store is running conditional sales, so ask one of the nice salespeople for details. They don't know much about shaving, but they do know how to shave money off your bill by taking advantage of all the little buying tricks.

Even at the full-blown MSRP of $10 a tube, the stuff is cheap enough. And worth every penny. C.O. Bigelow was the first "real" wet-shaving product I bought, and that was 7.5 years ago, and my den has never been without it ever since.

Last edited:
Wow! Used this for the first time today and it was excellent. One of the best shaves I've ever had, but I also changed by blade to an Astra SP. Looks like this is going to be a great combination for me.

I also have been favoring Astra SPs lately, at least in my 34c. Seems like a fine blade.

Thank you for clearing this up. I like Proraso Green, and can get the C.O. Bigelow locally - but wasn't sure if they were the exact same product.

I wish the parent company would market the other Proraso formulations under the Bigelow name.
+1 ... it would be nice if there were more retail availability of Proraso products, regardless of the label. Although I can get them by mail from so many different vendors, its always good to see it and touch it and smell it in person.

Everytime I go into B&BW, there is only one thing I'm looking at, and that's the shiny green box. I have enough to last me another couple of years, so I don't really need to buy any more right now. But I still ike to look. It would be nice if somewhere in that huge store and hundreds of shelves I could find a few more items that interest me, but that hasn't happened since they stopped carrying #1200 ASB.

Top Bottom