What's new

Best performing hard sandalwood soaps.

Pre-reformulated AOS does it for me. Keep your eye on the BST and you may be able to get one.

The old- formula Trumper's for sure. Can't speak to the new stuff.

Chris

Yes that was a treat as well, it was amazing how bad they screwed that soap up with the reformulation- I would still give the AOS the nod though overall.

Yes that was a treat as well, it was amazing how bad they screwed that soap up with the reformulation- I would still give the AOS the nod though overall.

Yeah I decided to check on here and get some opinions. I know the "Big Ts" have reformulated their soaps and that some are having trouble with them.

Savon Du Midi - Santal is a hard shaving soap which performs great. The only downside is that I am unsure of the cost per puck from outside of The EU. If you do some research on this one and the price is OK for you then I would say go for it. To me Savon Du Midi soaps (vetiver or sandalwood, not the soft soap range - Mistral, Orient & Garcon) fly below the radar in the shaving world but are in fact superb soaps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savon-du-mi...64?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item1e913db7dc

Another vote for the AoS Sandalwood old style w/tallow. This soap was made by Valobra. The Valobra hard soaps are all excellent, but they do not market a sandalwood scent under their own name.

Although discontinued, the AoS Sandalwood w/tallow is widely available from eBay and numerous other sources. I've stockpiled quite a bit. :thumbup1:

--Bob

Last edited:
Indeed--tallow-based [Valobra] AoS Sandalwood is the best Sandalwood SS [and easily one of the best SSs] I've used. I have not used current/non-tallow AoS but I cannot say that I have not seen some favourable reports. Also, though I have not used DRH Sandalwood SS, I have used DRH's other SS offerings and find them top-notch too.

I haven't yet tried DR Harris' new Sandalwood soap, but will add it to the cart next time I shop. I'm sure that it will perform like their other soaps and should have a great scent as well.

I was given a puck of Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood a couple of months ago.

It is very nice, I would describe it as a sandalwood/cologne scent.

The scent is great to me, and is noticeable throughout the shave.

I have no issues getting a nice slick lather from the soap, and used it straight through the month of May.

ToBs sandalwood puck is a very good soap with a great scent. If you want a hard sandalwood puck that performs, I would suggest giving it a look.

here are four, d.r. harris, caswell massey, art of shaving and creed santal.

i'd say, the aos sandalwood---regardless of old or new formula, IMO, is tops among these.

d.r. harris second.

but, all four are good sandalwood soaps.

$D.R. Harris sandalwood Rudy Vey Hart Steel cypress swamp february 25 2015.jpg

$caswell massey sandalwood henckels friodur simpson milk churn truefitt hill march 13 2015.jpg

$gillette bostonian aos sandalwood jan 20 2014s.jpg

$creed santal floris morley clover erskine 395 september 4 2014.jpg

Parker is a lathering champ. Not sure if it's triple milled, but it's hard. Scent is light but nice warm sandalwood.

Top Bottom