What's new

lkon Shavecraft Tech?

Has anyone tried the new Shavecraft Tech head? Supposed to be one of their most aggressive offerings. I just ordered one with my Dads day loot. Hopefully I'll like it. Was going to get the 101, but I think it would be way too mild for me being an R41 lover.

I took a leap of faith as well and ordered a Shavecraft Tech last week....should arrive in the next day or two. I have the 102 slant, which I love and a 101 - the 101 is okay, but not nearly as efficient as the 102. I'll post a report later this week after I take the new Tech for test drive.

I have seen comments on other sites that the 104 is pretty aggressive. Someone even said it was more aggressive than their 2011 R41!!

I wouldn't mind trying the open comb Shavecraft 103 Short Comb, but I am a bit hesitant, as I already have the Ikon Deluxe OC & this is probably my worst shaving razor.

Cool please post impressions. I would imagine I'll have mine by the end of the week as well. I'm actually quite excited if it's more aggressive than a 2011 R41.

Head doesn't look very precise, and it's no looker either... Original Tech looks better. If you want to make Gillette clone, don't change anything! And take Hybrid Tech as a model:001_smile

My Facebook review of the Tech:

iKon ShaveCraft Tech
Personna Lab Blue Blade
MLS Italian Stallion
Chiseled Face Orange Creamsicle

I've been a rabid fan of iKon Razors for the past three years, and particularly fond of the value and build of their ShaveCraft line, considering both the 101 and 102 to be amongst my Top 5 DEs in terms of comfort and performance.

So excuse me, if you will, for impulsively acquiring one of Greg's more recent releases, the iKon ShaveCraft Tech, which despite the name bringing back memories of a mellower predecessor by Gillette, is (accurately) described on the site as an "Aggressive Masterpiece."

Indeed, looking at the exposure of the SuperMax blade (provided with razor) in the Tech should have given me advance notice of the aggressiveness; however, it was clear during my first few strokes that this would not be a walk in the park. After fairly minimal 24 hours' growth, one pass was probably all I should have ventured; being the perfectionist I am, I took two passes, suffering some weepers in the process, and feeling like I just shaved with a Great White. It was close, but not at all comfortable.

Deciding my lather, short lapse time, and the SuperMax blade were part of the problem with my maiden voyage, I opted for a 36-hour growth for my next endeavor, loading a new Personna Lab blade and using one of my slicker performers, the Mickey Lee Soapworks Italian Stallion. Again, although the lubrication was great and I could feel less of a battle with the blade, this was still a very challenging (and somewhat scary) shave. Albeit - only one weeper this time, no redness, some sting from the Creamsicle, and total BBS. There is no need to do touch-ups with the Tech; I firmly believe some of my whiskers simply ran for the hills before the blade arrived at their destination.

Pictures below.

I'm only two shaves in, but so far, this is easily the most aggressive DE in my collection, which includes the Muhle R41 (2013) and used to feature its 2011 predecessor. That being said, a shaving enthusiast who is seeking something even closer than the R41 might find a great fit with this model, and those folks who have been experimenting with DEvettes (those guardless or virtually guardless models) will certainly appreciate the superior build quality of the iKon Tech. It's a beautiful razor - no question there - it's simply worth noting that it might be a tough go for less experienced shavers, or those looking for a routine everyday model. But I have to say, despite the extra care and perhaps not so comfy experience, my face feels wonderfully smooth. I'll surely come back to it, likely after a weekend with extra growth.

$IMG_0358.jpg$IMG_0359.jpg

Last edited:
Holy blade exposure! Lol. Thanks for the great review. You kind of scared me, but I think it might be just what I'm looking for. We'll see what happens. If I don't like it I can sell the head and get the open comb. I don't plan on it being a daily driver by any means.

That angle doesn't tell us much about the blade exposure, but it'll be interesting to read a few more reviews.

Not that I'm planning on buying one.

Holy blade exposure! Lol. Thanks for the great review. You kind of scared me, but I think it might be just what I'm looking for. We'll see what happens. If I don't like it I can sell the head and get the open comb. I don't plan on it being a daily driver by any means.

I can't pretend to read Greg's mind on this model, but I had seen a number of reviews that state the iKons are too mild. Maybe this is his response. :)

Personally, I find them (particularly the 101 and 102) amongst my most efficient razors, and they're just a joy to shave with. This one is also incredibly comfortable in the hand, balanced, and the lightest touch will afford the closest cut. I just probably don't need that much firepower on 24 hours' growth, but that's just my opinion. I agree with Edgar that other reviews may reveal a breadth of experiences.

I guess I'll find out. I have found a couple other reviews that make this out to be about the most aggressive thing out there. My normal blades are feathers as well. Hopefully I don't cut my face off. Lol.

Can anyone tell me the difference between an aluminum head and a pot metal head? will the aluminum last longer than a pot metal head?

aircraft quality aluminum is far better and more durable than pot metal. Down side to aluminum is that it's soft. So you have to watch the threads so you don't strip them.

aircraft quality aluminum is far better and more durable than pot metal. Down side to aluminum is that it's soft. So you have to watch the threads so you don't strip them.

and a stainless steel head is obviously better than air craft quality aluminum correct?

I have an aircraft grade aluminium Standard Razor. I also have a Shavecraft 102 "aluminium" razor head. The Shavecraft head is much heavier than the similarly sized Standard head (my guess would be twice as heavy). The Shavecraft head is magnetic, the Standard is not.

If the Shavecraft 103 & 104 are made of the same material as my 102, which from photos looks to be the case, then I would say that they are made of some form of aluminium alloy containing larger amounts of ferrous metal.

I am not an Ikon hater, I really like my 102 & the quality is good. I just don't think it is made of aircraft grade aluminum. In fairness, I couldn't see on the Ikon site where it says what material the Shavecraft heads are made from, but I have seen postings where people state that they are made from aluminium.

I read somewhere that their heads were aircraft grade, but can't find it on the current ones. So they may not be. At any rate they are going to be better than a zamak head and really no more expensive.

My third shave with the Tech, very consistent with my first two. There are a lot of viable blade angles, which is probably attributable to the gap and/or exposure. Some chattering with the blade occurs with certain angles (e.g., steep); short fast strokes seem to work the best, although I've been a bit slow on the strokes as I find my way with the razor. Even with a good slick shaving soap, I'm not having the smoothest experience; I may try a pre-shave (something I almost never do) as additional support.

The GOOD news, apart from the BBS, is no burn or redness at the end. I do get a few weepers, but nothing significant. The blade placement is very precise. And again, this feels great in the hand.

I will state again that other than the DEvette I own, I have no DE in my possession that shaves more closely than this with fewer strokes. The tradeoff is that aggressiveness that will likely put a lot of folks off. But I do surmise there's an audience for this razor, and I have little doubt that with more repetitions, I'll be dealing with fewer weepers. There's definitely a learning curve.

Todd R.

My Facebook review of the Tech:

iKon ShaveCraft Tech
Personna Lab Blue Blade
MLS Italian Stallion
Chiseled Face Orange Creamsicle

I've been a rabid fan of iKon Razors for the past three years, and particularly fond of the value and build of their ShaveCraft line, considering both the 101 and 102 to be amongst my Top 5 DEs in terms of comfort and performance.

So excuse me, if you will, for impulsively acquiring one of Greg's more recent releases, the iKon ShaveCraft Tech, which despite the name bringing back memories of a mellower predecessor by Gillette, is (accurately) described on the site as an "Aggressive Masterpiece."

Indeed, looking at the exposure of the SuperMax blade (provided with razor) in the Tech should have given me advance notice of the aggressiveness; however, it was clear during my first few strokes that this would not be a walk in the park. After fairly minimal 24 hours' growth, one pass was probably all I should have ventured; being the perfectionist I am, I took two passes, suffering some weepers in the process, and feeling like I just shaved with a Great White. It was close, but not at all comfortable.

Deciding my lather, short lapse time, and the SuperMax blade were part of the problem with my maiden voyage, I opted for a 36-hour growth for my next endeavor, loading a new Personna Lab blade and using one of my slicker performers, the Mickey Lee Soapworks Italian Stallion. Again, although the lubrication was great and I could feel less of a battle with the blade, this was still a very challenging (and somewhat scary) shave. Albeit - only one weeper this time, no redness, some sting from the Creamsicle, and total BBS. There is no need to do touch-ups with the Tech; I firmly believe some of my whiskers simply ran for the hills before the blade arrived at their destination.

Pictures below.

I'm only two shaves in, but so far, this is easily the most aggressive DE in my collection, which includes the Muhle R41 (2013) and used to feature its 2011 predecessor. That being said, a shaving enthusiast who is seeking something even closer than the R41 might find a great fit with this model, and those folks who have been experimenting with DEvettes (those guardless or virtually guardless models) will certainly appreciate the superior build quality of the iKon Tech. It's a beautiful razor - no question there - it's simply worth noting that it might be a tough go for less experienced shavers, or those looking for a routine everyday model. But I have to say, despite the extra care and perhaps not so comfy experience, my face feels wonderfully smooth. I'll surely come back to it, likely after a weekend with extra growth.

View attachment 581156View attachment 581157

Yowsers, more aggressive than an R41 , I will give this one a miss, the Ikon SB is plenty aggressive, my technique is not good enough to use a razor this aggressive, if Ikon bring out a mild counterpart then I would be all over that

Top Bottom