What's new

Who else enjoys traditional Dutch jenevers?

For those who don't know what a Jenever is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenever

At this moment I'm sipping a Bokma's jonge jenever. I think they export to America (USA, maybe Canada?) but I wonder how many jenever (aka Dutch gin) lovers there really are on B&B?

There are also many small brands here ("jenever stoken" is an old tradition here), but I guess most of those are not available outside the Netherlands and Belgium.

When I first learned that the Dutch invented 'gin' in the form of Jenever I just had to try some; like most Americans I had always thought that was a British creation. I can't remember the brand but drunken straight as a martini, it was too strong for my palate. I might like it with some sort of mixer.

No, gin is derived from jenever indeed. Some drink it with a tea spoon of sugar dissolved in it.

I tried a flight of jenever, and became a snob instantly. I can't drink gin anymore. Jenever is the maltier, better cousin of gin. I have Boles aged genever in my spirits cabinet. It's fantastic in cocktails. I prefer oude style.

Eeyore, it reminds me of Hendrick's Gin, would you agree? Being in America, I seriously doubt whatever brand I tried was one of the best.

Eeyore, it reminds me of Hendrick's Gin, would you agree? Being in America, I seriously doubt whatever brand I tried was one of the best.

Hendrick's Gin is very good! I enjoyed that when I lived in Edinburgh for a few months.

I tried a flight of jenever, and became a snob instantly. I can't drink gin anymore. Jenever is the maltier, better cousin of gin. I have Boles aged genever in my spirits cabinet. It's fantastic in cocktails. I prefer oude style.

I like both; oude jenever and jonge jenever (as long as it is distilled from pure grain). You may like the various Dutch, German, and Scandinavian "bitters" as well then (they are not really bitter, but very herbal).

I learned about genever when I visited Amsterdam two years ago. I brought back a bottle of Bols Oude Genever in the traditional pottery bottle with two traditional tulip shot glasses. Strangely, that bottle has only been opened once since I returned. I need to remedy that situation, excuse me...

Skip the Bokma, try some real dutch artisan jenevers:
- van Wees (slijterij de Ooievaar)
- Rutte
- Zuidam
- Verhoeven
- Filliers (belgium)

Had a few Ice cold ones when I was in Amsterdam a few years ago. Slipped down very easily!

For a similar sort of drink though, I prefer the Scandinavian Akvavit, especially the caraway flavoured ones.

Gareth

I enjoyed both, Jonge Jenever seemed to be more of a mixer like Gin or Vodka. The flavoured Jenevers of Wynand Fockink are great.

Top Bottom