What's new

Favorite Really Big Brush for Face Lathering ?

Back in the day I had a Simpsons Persian Jar 3 Silvertip .
Not knowing any better , I used it for face lathering rather than bowl , for which I think it was intended .

So , what's your favorite Really Big Brush for Face Lathering ?

Omega '49 is the biggest I've ever used. It'll quickly lather your face, neck, head, nose, ears... I still have it, for a backup.

IDK if you would call it really big, but I like my Semogue 1305
The 1305 was my favorite brush of all time. Sadly, I had to retire it after several years when it got too floppy and stopped holding as much water. I replaced the 1305 with a 620, but I don't use it much because its too scritchy. A 610 has a softer knot, and I will probably get that for my next boar brush. I'm currently using a Semogue Custom 2010 blond boar as my go-to face lathering brush.

The Semogue Owners' Club brushes that I have (1 ash, 1 cherry) are even bigger than the 1305. In fact, they are a little TOO big. Great performance, but they put lather where I don't want it, like in my ears and up my nose and down the front of my chest. There really can be too much of a good thing.

I've been eyeing a Simpson Chubby 2 in Best Badger ... but a purchase like that is a long ways off. Even purchasing a used one is out of reach right now.

The biggest brush I have ever used was a TGN finest in a TGN handle.

It quickly lathered my face and the bathroom walls and mirror. Unfortunately it didn't fit into my soap container... :tongue_sm

$TGN Finest3.jpg

My daVinci 290 and my Rooney 1/3 Super Silvertip.
I have a Rooney 3/1 Super among my active brushes. Although I made the switch to boar/face years ago, the Rooney was a clear winner among my badger brushes to keep in use. The WeeScot also made the cut.

No matter how much I love boar brushes, there are times when a badger is in order. MWF seems to call out for a badger brush. So do some high-end creams like Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet. And sometimes, I just like a change of pace and try something different,

I doubt that I'll ever make the switch away from a preference for boar brushes,
but I can't see having just one type of brush in my shave den, either.

Last edited:
I have what I believe to be a Zenith Professional that is my biggest/favorite for face lathering (I thought it was an Omega). It has a light aluminum handle. The knot is 26mm, but the loft is less than the Omega 48. Also, the knot is glued higher in the bristles to make is seem even shorter. It's my favorite brush. I've been on a brush buying spree because I want to find some knots to go into some vintage handles. I have an SOC, 2000, and an Omega (all very nice brushes), but keep coming back to the aluminum handled one. I'll have confirmation on whether it is a Zenith in a week or two...
$IMG_20150620_113641171.jpg$IMG_20150620_113732206.jpg

Omega 48 pro is a nice big brush. I use it to face lather everyday. It's great once you learn how to kept the lather out of your eyes!:001_rolle

I use the Omega 48 on occasion as a face-latherer too, but when its turn comes up, it's more often with a bowl.

For face-lathering, I put the base of the handle in my palm. My fingertips are at the base of the knot.

Top Bottom