What's new

Midori Traveler Ordered.

I decided to pull the trigger on a Midori traveler notebook from Goulet today. I bought the regular size and a couple of refills of different types. I've been using a Rhodia Web Notebook. I love the paper, but the thick notebook makes writing at the bottom of the page awkward. I figured the slimmer size of the Midori might make writing at the bottom of the page more comfortable. Plus, I can buy the same page count as the Web Book's worth of re-fills for the Midori for less money than replacing Web Book.

The initial investment was a little steep, but the long terms savings will be worth it. Plus, it looks like its going to be really a pleasure to use.

I first ordered the passport size but then as I was researching what else I could do with it, I ended up ordering the regular size one as well

I love my passport size for everyday carry as for the paper I personally really like the weight and all aspects of it, A solid performing system that as Harp says you can do so much with!

Legion

Staff member
I love my passport size for everyday carry as for the paper I personally really like the weight and all aspects of it, A solid performing system that as Harp says you can do so much with!
I actually keep a passport size with my passport. Great little travel book you can have with you always on a trip.

I picked up half a hide of leather a while back and started making some (it was on sale for a little less than the finished Midori) a while back. I can confirm that it's a lot easier to write all the way to the bottom of the page of the inserts than a thick notebook. I didn't buy any of the Midori brand inserts, so I can't speak to their paper quality. I look forward to learning from your experience with them.

The Banditapple inserts I've tried have been great (and nearly half the cost of Midori). I particularly like the weekly planner. It gets some bad reviews because it's only good for 6 months, but that's plenty for me. I need the extra space for jotting down notes, drawing maps for where meetings are happening, and writing down phone numbers for people I have to call. The one-side planner/one-side blank format from Banditapple works really well for that.

Congrats on taking the plunge! I have yet to meet anyone with a traveler's notebook that isn't completely in love with it.

Don't want to hijack the thread but, Urbanprimative, how are you making your own?

Jefhunter, what do you mean by system? I liv in the middle of nowhere and never get to actually see notebooks except for Moleskine which I like but feel there is something better out there.

Nate, are you referring to making your own cover or notebooks?

Can't help you much with the cover, but I've made my own books using a stapler, small paper cutter and I bought a reem of sugar cane paper that I like (similar to the FC from the B&B refill but cheaper and I can get from staples)

So far, I've only made grid notebooks for my passport size and a MOTP planner for my regular but I'm liking the size of my passport better so I'll probably make a MOTP for that one when I have time to design a template that prints on letter size paper.

The Banditapple inserts I've tried have been great (and nearly half the cost of Midori).

+1 on the Banditapple inserts. I've been using the unlined notebooks, and I think they do well with fountain pens. I can generally write on both sides without bleed through issues. The only time I've seen a little problem is if I color something in, or try to overwrite something for sake of correction (i.e., writing over the top of an existing character, which saturates the page with extra ink).

nateaaron & Purplemonkey:

To avoid hijacking, I'll start a new thread to discuss making traveler's notebook covers and inserts. I'm stuck at the office today, so it will likely be a couple days before I can put it together. Fair warning - the photos will be terrible cell phone shots. I'll try to remember to post a link here when I have it written up.

Don't want to hijack the thread but, Urbanprimative, how are you making your own?

Jefhunter, what do you mean by system? I liv in the middle of nowhere and never get to actually see notebooks except for Moleskine which I like but feel there is something better out there.

Sorry Just saw this, I keep a weekly planner insert a notebook and the midori plastic cardholder and zipped pouch insert in mine making it an all in one planner, wallet, and notebook!

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UxImiYVY8-Q[/video]

Nice comparison/review between these ZLYC journals & the Midori's.

Bumping to see if anyone else has a Traveler that they love. I spent this afternoon browsing various blogs and YouTube videos and everyone seems to love their Midori traveler.

For me I think it's just a matter of which size to get at this point...

Bumping to see if anyone else has a Traveler that they love. I spent this afternoon browsing various blogs and YouTube videos and everyone seems to love their Midori traveler.

For me I think it's just a matter of which size to get at this point...

I have a Midori Traveler. I like it a lot. I kept a journal in it for a year and did some creative writing in it as well. Have been too busy the last year to keep either of those up, but I really do like the simplicity of the Midori and hope to get back to using it again once work slows down some (hopefully in January). I like the paper, but also found the BanditApple refills (from Goulet) to be excellent as well. The BanditApple are a little thicker and have less show-through.

Top Bottom