What's new

Blade Comparison - A Blinded Study

Very impressive. With 4 blades and 8 different options even getting 4 out of 8 right would be quite a good result. This is very strong evidence that some people in the right conditions can tell differences between blades. Moreover, some other tests may not be sensitive enough for some to tell a difference. But even those who failed a 4 blade test might pass a well designed two blade blind test.

Very impressive. With 4 blades and 8 different options even getting 4 out of 8 right would be quite a good result. This is very strong evidence that some people in the right conditions can tell differences between blades. Moreover, some other tests may not be sensitive enough for some to tell a difference. But even those who failed a 4 blade test might pass a well designed two blade blind test.

I am traveling for the next 10 days, but when I return home I will begin my next study which, as you suggest, will be a two blade study. The study design will be to compare the Polsilver SI and Gillette Rubie over an 8 shave period. The new wrinkle is a different kind of uncertainty. My study assistant (wife) will change the blade according to a random pattern so that I will never know when there is a different blade in the razor. In my original study, and in the study that Poikkeus just completed, we both knew when we were working with a different blade. That knowledge introduced bias. It allowed us to match the blade in the razor with a preconceived idea of the particular qualities of each blade. What happens when it is random? Will it be possible to identify which blade is in the razor on any particular day?

I am traveling for the next 10 days, but when I return home I will begin my next study which, as you suggest, will be a two blade study. The study design will be to compare the Polsilver SI and Gillette Rubie over an 8 shave period. The new wrinkle is a different kind of uncertainty. My study assistant (wife) will change the blade according to a random pattern so that I will never know when there is a different blade in the razor. In my original study, and in the study that Poikkeus just completed, we both knew when we were working with a different blade. That knowledge introduced bias. It allowed us to match the blade in the razor with a preconceived idea of the particular qualities of each blade. What happens when it is random? Will it be possible to identify which blade is in the razor on any particular day?

I don't think it's a bias at all when you know that there is a different blade. It's just a different test -- more powerful, in the sense that it's easier to identify which blade is which. But if the two were literally identical, it shouldn't matter that you have foreknowledge that the blade has been changed to be able to identify which was which (think about two identical blades marked blue and red -- no amount of knowledge about blade change should help you identify which is which). Of course, it is harder to know what's what when you don't also know that the blade has been changed. But the first test is no less valid for all that.

It's like the old (I believe it was AT&T) test from over 50 years ago where people couldn't identify when a tone was introduced in the midst of random noise, but after training and in a non-blind test (i.e. they were told that a tone would be introduced but not when) they could spot when the tones were played. The latter showed that negative results in the earlier test didn't prove that people couldn't hear these tones. It simply showed that the former test was too demanding.

I don't think it's a bias at all when you know that there is a different blade. It's just a different test -- more powerful, in the sense that it's easier to identify which blade is which. But if the two were literally identical, it shouldn't matter that you have foreknowledge that the blade has been changed to be able to identify which was which (think about two identical blades marked blue and red -- no amount of knowledge about blade change should help you identify which is which). Of course, it is harder to know what's what when you don't also know that the blade has been changed. But the first test is no less valid for all that.

I didn't mean to suggest that this second experiment was somehow better or more valid, only that it looking at the problem in a slightly different way. I was very impressed in the first study at how the qualities of a blade, both good and bad, were magnified simply because I was unaware of which blade was in the razor. My hypothesis is that there is little difference between the Polsilver and the Rubie. If I am correct, then I will not be able to identify the razor blade in a random test. Part of me, however, believes that even the smallest differences between blades are magnified in this kind of test. If so, then I should be able to identify the razor blade on any given random day.

I'm a few weeks away from completing a second single-blinded DE blade study - pitting the Polsilver SI, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Rubie, and Rapira Lux.

A year ago, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between many DE blades. Now, specific blades (like the GSB for Personna Lab) seem so distinctive that I can distinguish between them pretty easily. Or, with the GSB, in seconds.

My prior hypothesis was that I could distinguish between my favorite blades - which also happened to be pretty different blades. The upcoming study will show if more closely-matched blades can be distinguished or not. It's exasperating that the procedure doesn't allow me to look at my results yet, but such are the trials of science. :blink:

Last edited:
INTRODUCTION
You can compare DE blades non-blinded and blinded. It takes about the same amount of time either way. Some B&B readers like the idea of blinded reviews; they give a sense of impartiality. Plus, blinded experiments can be more fun.

Recently, I compared four double edge blades that were highly rated. I’d tried them all before the blinded, experimental run.

PROCEDURE
I used the following blades - all of them top performers from the St Petersburg factory.

• GSB (big favorite)
  • Polsilver SI (highly regarded)
  • Rubie Platinum Plus (highly regarded)
  • Rapira Lux (said by some to be very much like the Gillette Rubie)

I followed rodmonster’s experimental procedure as closely as possible with a 24-hour beard, and a three-minute prep with hot water. I used a
n ATT razor with an H2 plate, Cold Water Soap Works for lather, alum after shaving to give me extra feedback.

As before, I wanted to answer two questions:

1. Would my blinded results be the same or different than my professed favorites?
  2. Could I distinguish between the four blades at three and six day intervals?

As before, I divided the study into two “flights” of shaves. On the first flight, I shaved with blades 1 to 4, and shaved with them three times each. (Twelve shaves total.) On the second flight, I shaved with blades 5 - 8 (which were actually the same four blades, but in a different order. (Again, twelve shaves.) My father randomly changed the order of the blades for each flight - a single-blinded methodology..

While doing these tests, I took some notes (which I’ve included parenthetically).

RESULTS
BLADE #1 of 4
Shave #1: Pretty close shave, though there was slight stubble - even on the cheek. I don’t get the feeling that the blade is exactly mowing down my beard. Not an effortless shave, but satisfactory. Very little resistance ATG on the mustache. Two small nicks: one on the mustache, the other on the chin. About two minute alum burn. Very slight post-shave bumpiness on the mustache.
(My analysis: The GSB, Rapira Lux, and Rubie are much smoother than this blade - which by elimination must be a Polsilver SI.)

Shave #2: Very close shave - BBS on the cheek, neck, and mustache, and slight stubble on the chin. Sharp, but doesn’t give the impression of being particularly keen. Doesn’t slice through my beard, but the mustache shaves ATG with only slight resistance. One nick, upper neck. Alum burn lasted there minutes. Some slight post-shave roughness/bumpiness on the mustache.
(Polsilver, by elimination.)

Shave #3: Very close shave - pretty much the same as #2. The blade seems a little more sluggish, especially on the chin, but the chin shaves clean ATG. Three small nicks: one on the mustache, and to on the neck. Alum burn was about two minutes. Like before, I noticed a slight post-shave bumpiness, but only on one side of the mustache.
(Polsilver.)

BLADE #2 of 4
Shave #1: Sharp and smooth, BBS. One nick on the throat. Three minutes of alum burn. Great shave.
(Clearly, this is a GSB.)

Shave #2: The beard comes off easily and quickly for a nearly-BBS shave. No nicks or cuts, but there was some razor burn on edge of the chin. Alum burn lasted around three minutes.
(GSB.)

Shave #3: Ultra-close, smooth BBS shave. One nick on the throat required styptic. Alum burn lasted for three minutes.
(GSB.)

BLADE #3 of 4
Shave #1: Extremely close, smooth shave, while there’s a little stubble on the throat and chin. No nicks or cuts - not even close. Shaving the mustache ATG is quite smooth, despite slight sensitivity. Only a minute of alum burn (!)
(This is a really good blade, and it balances comfort/sharpness really well. Polsilver is rougher than this, but GSB is as smooth and a lot sharper and nick-prone. Right now, it’s between Rapira Lux and Rubie.)

Shave #2: Very smooth shave, and very close (though the chin is somewhat better than yesterday). Mustache shaves cleanly ATG, though with moderately fast strokes. Definitely not BBS close. I noticed two light nicks only after shaving. About two minutes of alum burn, but only on the mustache.
(Rapira Lux and Rubie are both smooth blades - but the Rubie is smoother. But it’s close.)

Shave #3: Another smooth shave, on the cheek. A little rough on the chin and neck, though it’s smooth on the mustache - which shaves nicely with medium-speed strokes. No nicks or cuts. About three minutes of alum burn.

(Rubie.)

BLADE #4 of 4
Shave #1: Very close - though I used a bit more pressure - and smooth, though there was slight stubble on the neck. Three nicks: all on the neck, all slight. The mustache shaved clean with medium strokes ATG. Alum burn lasted only a minute.
(Interesting. Polsilver’s rougher than this. GSB’s smoother. Has to be either a Rapira Lux or Rubie, and the difference is definitely subtle.)

Shave #2: Pretty close, all in all, though the neck could have been cleaner. Mustache is quite clean, though there was one mild bleeder near the neck that needed styptic. I was able to shave the mustache ATG with faster strokes, but not as smooth as before.
(On only the second shave, I’m already getting a bit of roughness. This is a Lux, I reckon.)

Shave #3: The jaw is fairly close (aside from an strip I missed), though I felt slight stubble on the neck. Five small nicks, all from over-shaving areas that weren’t close enough. This blade is definitely losing its edge. However, the mustache shaves clean ATG if you use fast strokes. I can’t say I’m satisfied with this shave…or blade right now. Alum sting lasted two minutes or so.
(Clearly a Lux. And I’m dismayed how quickly the blade is showing signs of degradation.)

PREDICTIONS ON BLADES #1-4:

Blade #1 is Polsilver SI (CORRECT)
Blade #2 is Gillette Silver Blue (CORRECT)
Blade #3 is Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus (CORRECT)
Blade #4 is Rapira Lux (CORRECT)

BLADE #5 of 8
Shave #4: Smooth, but I noticed that the cheek isn’t as close as you’d expect. The chin was close but could be better, and the neck - as usual - wasn’t completely clean. Three nicks, all on my neck. Mustache shaves clean ATG, if the strokes are medium speed or faster. Alum sting lasted only two minutes.
(A GSB would be smoother, and a Polsilver a little rougher. This has to be either a Rubie or Rapira Lux.)

Shave #5: I used a little more pressure this time. While the chin still isn’t 100% clean, the neck is shaved closer than before, and so is the jaw (almost BBS). Mustache is clean, with added pressure and effort, and of course faster speed strokes. Two light nicks on the throat. I didn’t use as much alum, but the sting lasted only two minutes.
(From my memory, the Rapira Lux started losing its edge by this time - but this blade is still going strong. Based on the longevity, it’s definitely a Rubie.)

Shave #6: Close to shave #5, except the blade seemed more sluggish - it’s starting to lose its edge. But I was still able to win a near-BBS shave, despite micro stubble on the throat and chin. Two nicks on the throat. Two minutes alum sting.
(Rubie.)

BLADE #6 of 8

Shave #4: Sharp but slightly draggy on the chin - but overall a close shave (aside from a little stubble on the chin and maybe the neck). Can shave the mustache ATG, but there’s some roughness. Two very small nicks. Alum burn lasted around three minutes. A very good shave, but there are some signs of blade wear.
(By elimination, Polsilver; the other blades are smoother.)

Shave #5: Pretty smooth, though there’s some stubble left on the throat and mustache, which has slight bumpiness. Mustache is still shvable ATG, though it takes more time and care. No nicks or cuts. Four minute alum burn.
(Polsilver.)

Shave #6: This blade is starting to start to tug a bit,, though I can still shave ATG on the mustache with care. Slightly tender bumpiness after shaving. No nicks or cuts, and four minute alum burn.
(Polsilver.)

BLADE #7 of 8
Shave #4: BBS shave, sharp and smooth. No nicks or cuts. Alum burn lasted about three minutes.
(Figuring out this blade is easy. GSB.)

Shave #5: Smooth BBS shave, and no nicks, cuts, or razor burn. I forgot to use alum.
(GSB.)

Shave #6: Near-BBS shave, except for the chin. No nicks or cuts, I can still shave the mustache area, but with quicker strokes. Alum burn lasted around four minutes.

(GSB.)

BLADE #8 of 8
Shave #4: Shave was fairly close, though the blade required more pressure - even on routine stretches of beard, like the jaw. The shave took about two minutes longer than usual, mainly because I took care to avoid nicks and cuts. I could still shave the mustache ATG - but only shaving with fast strokes. About two minutes of alum burn.
(Definitely a Lux.)

Shave #5: Decent CCS shave, but some beard wasn’t cut as closely as I’d want. Two nicks: both on the throat. I couldn’t shave ATG on the mustache, though I could get similar results with milder strokes. The blade is
tossable. Two minutes of alum burn.

(Lux.)

Shave #6: Okay CCS shave. I kept shaving the rough, stubbly area until it looked and felt relatively smooth. No razor burn, but the throat and chin were a little sore for about five minutes after shaving. I didn’t bother with the alum.
(Lux.)

PREDICTIONS ON BLADES #5-8

Blade #5 is Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus (CORRECT)
Blade #6 is Polsilver SI (CORRECT)
Blade #7 is Gillette Silver Blue (CORRECT)
Blade #8 is Rapira Lux (CORRECT)

DISCUSSION
I wanted to answer two questions:

1. Would my blinded results be the same or different than my professed favorites? Yes; the results were correct.
  2. Could I distinguish between the four blades at three and six day intervals? Again, yes. It was more challenging to find signs of wear during the first flight (three shaves), but the second flight was easier.

There was one mild snafu.

On the second flight of shaves, my father (and co-experimenter)) shuffled the order of the blades as required by the procedure. However, he mistakenly loaded a GSB for blade #6, shave #2. After the shave, I suspected that something was off. I asked my father to confirm if the blade was correct - and he acknowledged the error. Tragedy averted.

This isn’t proof of my preternatural skill at identifying blades. It’s a lot simpler. I ask a simple set of questions when I shave. I use the Notes app on my Mac to document and organize the info. I evaluate the blades after every shave. The results from this study may suggest that I’m a wunderkind at DE blade prediction…but it’s just that I take really good notes.

I used the same technique evaluating all four blades. The Polsilver and GSB were pretty easy to identify, but the Rubie/Lux matchup was a little more difficult.

These two blades were relatively close during the first flight of shaves - though the Rubie was notably smoother. However, by the second flight of shaves, the Rubie’s longevity was much easier to spot. But the match between the two blades brings up an interesting point.

If you trash your blade after only one or two shaves, you might find it difficult to distinguish between the two blades. Since the Lux is half the cost of the pricey Rubies, it’s a thought some might want to investigate.

All four blades here were outstanding. I’d urge wet shavers to at least try the blades, if you haven’t already.

• GILLETTE SILVER BLUE is extremely sharp and smooth, and works well with a variety of razors - from mild to super-aggressive. The price has dropped to an amazing $16 for 100 blades; as a mid-priced blade, the GSB is a no-brainer. I have 600+ stored away.

• GILLETTE RUBIE PLATINUM PLUS is in the Polsilver/Feather price range, but it walks a tightrope between sharp and smooth as well as any blade - especially on shaves 1 to 3.

• POLSILVER SI has a slightly rough but reassuring face feel - sharp and easily up to the job. It just lasts and lasts, though I feel it works best with a mild or moderately aggressive razor.

• RAPIRA LUX is not dissimilar to the sharpness and smoothness of the GSB or Rubie - at least for the first few shaves. The Lux is still a good deal - but less so given some of the GSB deals I’ve seen recently.

@Poikkeus

Congratulations on a wonderful trial. I don't have time to read your experiment in detail this morning, but I promise I will get to it this afternoon and comment in full.

Cheers

@poikkeus

Great experiment and I really like the idea of a second arm to the study. I am very impressed that you were able to identify all of the blades under study. Very impressed, indeed.

Here is the thing that I find interesting. I am very familiar with the Polsilver, Rubie and GSB. My description of them would be very different from yours. I would say that the Polsilver and Rubie are very close - a nice combination of sharp and smooth. I would say that in my experience the GSB is smoother than either the Polsilver or Rubie but also less sharp. I had relegated the GSB to the back of the cupboard in favor of the Polsilver and Rubie. Interesting.

I have just started (I am on day 2 today) of a 12 day blinded study in which I am shaving with 3 different blades (Polsilver; Rubie; GSB) in a totally random order. (actually, the in first 3 shaves each blade had to be used once. after that the order was selected randomly). It will be interesting to learn if I can distinguish between blades, and identify specific blades, under these random test conditions. After 2 shaves, both blades were excellent but very different. The first blade was very smooth but perhaps less sharp than the second blade. We shall see.

Top Bottom