What's new

BBQ Joints in your Area

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Recently I reviewed a local BBQ joint in my area that turned out to be pretty spectacular. I'm sure there are others across this country and world. This thread is for you to show off your favorite place to eat BBQ (not sushi). Tell us the name of the joint and snap a few pictures (food too) so we can see what it's like. Give us a review (good or bad), etc.

So run out and eat some BBQ this weekend. Oh....and it's OK for the family to tag along.

To kick things off here's Franklin Barbecue from earlier this week. You can checkout more pictures and the review here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/458787-PIF-BBQ-Cookbook-PIF

$IMG_1067.jpg$IMG_1077.jpg$IMG_1074.jpg$IMG_1083.jpg

Living in the metro Boston area, there is an unsurprising paucity of good BBQ places. There are more than when I was growing up, but, like Mexican places, they tend to be either fancier or more generic than your "average" BBQ place in more BBQ-concentrated areas. For the fancier kind, there is a place that opened up near Fenway Park called Sweet Cheeks. It was the first restaurant opened up by Tiffany Faisson (runner-up in the 1st top chef) and its incredible stuff. Its the first place where I've really enjoyed the brisket, and they are one of the only BBQ places where I've had pork belly. Also some of their sides are just incredible, especially broccoli casserole. They also do some funky stuff like serve ramen on Monday nights late night and stuff. When I go to a game, I'll go there beforehand.

Closer to us is a less fancy BBQ place but I'm a huge, huge fan. Its called Firebox and I think they took over an old Panera in Bedford. Order at the counter, but they have a full bar and seating. The guys who opened it came up from South Carolina and actually drove up their smoker with them. They do some non-BBQ stuff like fish tacos but they are at their best with the basics: ribs and pulled pork. Their sides are decent.

There are some more locally famous places in our area, like Redbones in Somerville (to me more of a "hangout/drinking" place since their BBQ is just OK), and Blue Ribbon BBQ (solid, only takeout) in Arlington and Newton. But my favorite is Firebox.

Here's my go-to place, in Hunt Valley, MD:

http://andynelsonsbbq.com/

Full collection of pix and video clips: http://andynelsonsbbq.com/gallery/

My review: Awesome! Outstanding West Tennessee barbecue (pulled pork especially), ribs, brisket, etc., etc. All sorts of recognition and awards

I have been a happy customer for 20+ years...and I am a card-carrying member (one of the originals) of Andy's Swine Social Club.

:drool:

Now I'm going to have to revisit my favorite places and take some pictures! But as a brief note to my fellow Phoenicians on some recent places.

Little Miss BBQ - The finest BBQ in the state IMO. No frills industrial area location with little seating, two-hour waits in line, and the pricing is a bit high (which I can't really blame them when they sell out of food every day). The fatty brisket is some of the best I've ever had, cooked just perfectly, slices with a little tug but tender and juicy. The beef ribs are spectacular, and may be my favorite thing there. They make their own sausage from brisket and pork trimmings that is delicious. On Thursdays they make their own pastrami, which I haven't sampled yet.

Jalapeno Bucks - This is in Mesa near my home. It's an oddball place, with a walk-up window to order from like a snackbar. They serve brisket, pulled pork, ribs on Saturdays, and ... burritos and quesadillas. The brisket isn't up to standards like Little Miss BBQ, but it's pretty good, and inexpensive. I'm told the burritos are excellent. I don't know if you can even call this a restaurant; it's more like a food stand. But I'll be back.

Joe's BBQ - This is in Chandler, and has been around for many years. It's a line service restaurant with a good amount of seating and good variety of meats (including things like turkey and pit ham). Their brisket is sometimes inconsistent, sometimes excellent and sometimes just okay. The pulled pork is always really good. They used to have the best chicken wings but sadly discontinued those. Basically this is middle of the road to me... not as good as Little Miss BBQ, but way ahead of chain stuff like Famous Dave's.

There's a Rudy's here somewhere, so I should try that soon, even though my brother from Austin tells me the cut the meat all wrong there (?).

Last edited:
Another Zonie here. I have two favorites. That being said, I've only eaten at one of the 3 that @DesertJake mentioned.

Joe's BBQ
Close, but Joe's Farm Grill is better. Not sure why. Same owners, same meats, same cooking methods, but something about the fresh ingredients surrounding the meat over at the Farm just make it seem WAY better to me.
http://joesfarmgrill.com/

My personal favorite right now is Porkopolis. Same reasoning as @DesertJake. I'm a brisket snob. Their brisket is excellent.
http://porkopolisbbqaz.com/

Aaron, I'm drooling over Franklin's I want to go there incredibly badly!

We unfortunitly do not have many good BBQ places around here and the ones that are good have recently closed.

I guess it's good I know how to cook the stuff!

From around the country, here are my favorites:

• Bogart's, St. Louis, MO: One of the best. Ribs, pulled pork, brisket, you name it. All top rate.
  • Joe's, Blue Ridge GA: In the middle of nowhere is this fantastic place. Only drawback it closes at 7:00 p.m. Discovered this one by accident and go back whenever I pass through GA.
  • Smoque Irving Pk, IL: The best brisket I have ever had.
  • Bryan's Cave Creek, AZ: My son took me there. On the day I went I had fried rabbit but others had ribs. All was excellent.

I also went to a fine place in Brooklyn, NY but for the life of me can't remember the name.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nice thread Aaron. There is one chain here, Bodacious, but I really don't care for it. There is a pretty good local B&M one...Scholl's, but I don't care for their sides. Tater salad is runny, and also their beans. Meat is good though. There are also a few "shed" ones that I need to try, and a couple of trailer ones that I've heard were REAL good.

There is a "shed" one that just opened up that I don't know how long is going to last. That location has had SEVERAL burger, bbq, etc. joints in it that never lasted long. The last bbq one a black family owned it the food was GREAT. They have a little lean-to place for the smoker to sit. A white couple have the location now and I guess I'll go there in a few days and check it out....before it closes. It's called Phat Phil's now.

There's another B&M that has been here for ages...Emily's BBQ. A black lady owns it and when I used to go there the 'q was to die for. I'll try to get by Phat Phil's and Miss Emily's in a few days and take pics. to do a little review.

Dinosaur BBQ. Best I've had to date.
Still lots of little BBQ places popping up all over the regentrified borough of Brooklyn NY

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nice thread Aaron. There is one chain here, Bodacious, but I really don't care for it. There is a pretty good local B&M one...Scholl's, but I don't care for their sides. Tater salad is runny, and also their beans. Meat is good though. There are also a few "shed" ones that I need to try, and a couple of trailer ones that I've heard were REAL good.

There is a "shed" one that just opened up that I don't know how long is going to last. That location has had SEVERAL burger, bbq, etc. joints in it that never lasted long. The last bbq one a black family owned it the food was GREAT. They have a little lean-to place for the smoker to sit. A white couple have the location now and I guess I'll go there in a few days and check it out....before it closes. It's called Phat Phil's now.

There's another B&M that has been here for ages...Emily's BBQ. A black lady owns it and when I used to go there the 'q was to die for. I'll try to get by Phat Phil's and Miss Emily's in a few days and take pics. to do a little review.

I can't take credit for this thread. It's all Rockminers idea. I would love to see a few pictures. The pictures make it all real.

Dinosaur BBQ. Best I've had to date.
Still lots of little BBQ places popping up all over the regentrified borough of Brooklyn NY

We've got to see some pics of Dinosaur's.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ha, ha. As a kid I could never figure out what that was. Hollywood cartoon designers have never seen real ribs.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Aaron:
Not far away in Leesville, BubbaQue's BBQ is awesome and the Mrs. and I love their assortment of BBQ sauces (I usually order the Jalapeño Poppers (5) - [Fresh Jalapeño stuffed with cream cheese Wrapped in thick sweet bacon and smoked to perfection] and Meaty Back Ribs ["These are Not your Traditional “Baby Sized” Baby Backs. Bubba hand Picks the Best Over Sized Baby Backs for you! Bet You cant Eat a
Full Rack"!])! :drool:

$bbq sauce.jpg $BBQ - BubbaQue - 1.jpg

Read More: http://bubbaquesbbq.com/BubbaQues-Menu.html

proxy.php
[FONT=&amp]"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the barbecue". Aristotle[/FONT]

Another Zonie here. I have two favorites. That being said, I've only eaten at one of the 3 that @DesertJake mentioned.

Close, but Joe's Farm Grill is better. Not sure why. Same owners, same meats, same cooking methods, but something about the fresh ingredients surrounding the meat over at the Farm just make it seem WAY better to me.
http://joesfarmgrill.com/

My personal favorite right now is Porkopolis. Same reasoning as @DesertJake. I'm a brisket snob. Their brisket is excellent.
http://porkopolisbbqaz.com/

Cool, one I've never heard of! And Porkopolis isn't too far from work. I sense a lunch coming very soon...

I've eaten at Joe's Farm Grill, but never had BBQ there. However, unless I missed something I don't think they have a smoker on-site, so I'm pretty sure the meats are just brought over from Joe's BBQ.

As a brisket snob you need to find your way over to Little Miss BBQ.

Top Bottom