What's new

BBQ Joints in your Area

There is a guy named Sean, or Shawn, who has a mom & pop called Carolina BBQ. I use him a lot, partly because his meat preparation is unique, at least here. He chops pork, beef, and chicken, so it is not pulled. He makes his own sauces from scratch and there are 3, all are good. He also has ribs and wings but not all the time. I buy a large pork sandwich and he calls that broken. Buns, his own slaw, sauce, and meat are wrapped separately so I can reheat and eat that for supper. Best BBQ in town if you ask me.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The wife And I are going to try and get out to Snows BBQ in Lexington, Texas next weekend. According to Texas Monthly magazine they were voting best BBQ in Texas for 2008. They are only open on Saturdays.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I like this one here in the Motown. It is relatively new, a bit on the yuppie side (or is that hipster? I've been called both recently). Great brisket and pulled pork (those are all I have tried). Their Yardbird Sandwich was a finalist on some teevee sandwich show a couple years back http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/adam-richmans-best-sandwich-in-america

Slow's BBQ

Like that the sauce isn't assumed, but you get choices on the table ..

$slows.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I must admit- I don't eat BBQ out very often. I will have to change that, as we have a pretty good place in NRH. The benefit of working second shift and having Sunday and Monday (vs Saturday and Sunday) off is I can hit that place when they aren't packed to the rafters.

Don't have a BBQ joint within 150 miles of where we live, other than national chain stuff.. :mad3: We have a seasonal food truck that smokes some pretty good food, but absolutely nothing in the way of a good old fashioned, sit down BBQ joint.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Don't have a BBQ joint within 150 miles of where we live, other than national chain stuff.. :mad3: We have a seasonal food truck that smokes some pretty good food, but absolutely nothing in the way of a good old fashioned, sit down BBQ joint.

That can't be!!! That's just wrong....:a32:Somebody needs to do something.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
They wife I were headed out to the next BBQ adventure in Lexington, Texas. The name of the place is Snow's BBQ. Voted the best BBQ in Texas by Texas Monthly Magazine 1012. I find it hard to believe they are better than Franklin BBQ.

They are closed on the 4th so I looks like it will be the following weekend. Here's a video about the place:

Last edited by a moderator:
My personal favorite right now is Porkopolis. Same reasoning as @DesertJake. I'm a brisket snob. Their brisket is excellent.
http://porkopolisbbqaz.com/

I made it over to Porkopolis for lunch today. I tried the brisket, pulled pork and ribs. The brisket was indeed pretty good. It was sliced thickly for some reason, and was a little overdone, but the flavor was nice. The pulled pork was also good. A tad dry, but honest... i.e., not glopped up with a bunch of sauce. The ribs however, had an off taste to me. Too game-y, like subpar supermarket ribs cooked in an oven.

So, the brisket was the highlight. I don't think it comes up to Little Miss BBQ standards, but it's miles better than schlock like Famous Dave's.

I made it over to Porkopolis for lunch today. I tried the brisket, pulled pork and ribs. The brisket was indeed pretty good. It was sliced thickly for some reason, and was a little overdone, but the flavor was nice. The pulled pork was also good. A tad dry, but honest... i.e., not glopped up with a bunch of sauce. The ribs however, had an off taste to me. Too game-y, like subpar supermarket ribs cooked in an oven.

So, the brisket was the highlight. I don't think it comes up to Little Miss BBQ standards, but it's miles better than schlock like Famous Dave's.

I've never had the ribs, but I agree with the Pork. Despite their name, I've never thought the pork was their best offering. If you ask, they'll give you a small bowl of their dry rub. I really like it, though I'm pretty sure it's mainly paprika, garlic, and celery salt. I'll have to try Little Miss soon.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oooh, that's another idea for a thread. "Chuckwagon/dude ranch/Boy Scout/Camping food.

That's an excellent idea Aaron. People can show off their culinary campfire skills. That would be great.

Anything you can cook in your indoor kitchen oven or on the stovetop can be done over campfire coals...if you have the right equipment and know what you're doing.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That's an excellent idea Aaron. People can show off their culinary campfire skills. That would be great.

Anything you can cook in your indoor kitchen oven or on the stovetop can be done over campfire coals...if you have the right equipment and know what you're doing.

Did you see my new cook book my brother gave me. Here it is. It's mostly chuckwagon/campfire/country cooking:

$IMG_1028.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nope, haven't seen that one. Have you got Stella Hughes' Chuck Wagon Cookin'? The one I have is the 1991 revised edition.

proxy.php

I also have the 1989 edition of Wes Medley's Original Cowboy Cookbook.

proxy.php

Somehow though, when I think of campfire and DO cooking, I think of the earlier old Trappers.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
There is no better BBQ than at the cook-off's. Here's one I attended. I liked walking around interviewing (and hopefully tasting) the competition.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Donn's Texas BBQ for lunch today. It's a place about 10 minutes from my house and easy to get to. I haven't been there since the early 90's. The fatty part of the brisket was best. It just melted in your mouth, not too salty and a low smoke flavor. The sausage was a tad bit dry but you can get away with that in sausage. Nice flavor and not too much garlic. The ribs were very tender and the perfect size. The beans were not as good as mine and neither was the tater salad. All-in-all a very good and tasty BBQ. I would go back ant time.

$IMG_1134.jpg$IMG_1131.jpg$IMG_1130.jpg$IMG_1132.jpg$IMG_1133a.jpg

Top Bottom