What's new

Tour de France is coming through our street

This morning, I looked at the map for the first etappe of the Tour de France; the Grand Départ from the Netherlands.

Given all activities in our neighbourhood, I already had a suspicion, but the second etappe is going right through our street!

That will be quite the circus ...

proxy.php

(the etappe will go over the main lane; the houses are at the side lane, so no fear of cyclists ending in the front garden :lol: )

I was in London in 2007 when the Tour de France stage 1 started there that year. It was quite the spectacle with fans from all over the world crowding the already crowded London streets. It was great. Enjoy the circus!

I'd love to be there for that circus! have no fear of cyclists in your lawn... crazy cycling fans however, are a different animal.

That is very cool, I watch the Tour every year. Please take pictures of the crowd and riders then post them so we can see.

I have watched the Peloton zoom past a number of times. Unless you know what to expect, the cyclists can actually be a letdown as early in a lot of stages, they are simply getting from A to B and not trying to do anything special. A few years back I arrived at my chosen viewpoint just a couple of minutes before they shot past after they have averaged over 50 km/h for the first hour and fifteen minutes- they were gone again in a matter of moments.

Enjoy the show and keep your eyes open for the freebies which are tossed into the crowds. It should be a great spectacle.

Well ... real life interferes ...

I probably will have the chance to go into the city center on Saturday, where the first etappe starts and finishes. However, my boss requested me this week to chair a meeting in Sweden on Monday morning (and do some additional work), so I'll have to leave on Sunday already.

Since our neighbourhood is more or less locked down on Sunday, and there will be no public transport, getting to the airport is enough of a puzzle. But it definitely means that I'll miss the (estimated) 30 seconds where the cyclists are passing right through our street :001_huh:

Well ... real life interferes ...

I probably will have the chance to go into the city center on Saturday, where the first etappe starts and finishes. However, my boss requested me this week to chair a meeting in Sweden on Monday morning (and do some additional work), so I'll have to leave on Sunday already.

Since our neighbourhood is more or less locked down on Sunday, and there will be no public transport, getting to the airport is enough of a puzzle. But it definitely means that I'll miss the (estimated) 30 seconds where the cyclists are passing right through our street :001_huh:

$image.png

We were living in Atlanta in 1996 when the Olympics were held there. Went to one of the bicycle races because it was close to our house and free. Definitely interesting to see it live and see how fast and close they were riding, but not a lot of entertainment value as the main pack passed us and was gone in a matter of 2-3 minutes.

We were living in Atlanta in 1996 when the Olympics were held there. Went to one of the bicycle races because it was close to our house and free. Definitely interesting to see it live and see how fast and close they were riding, but not a lot of entertainment value as the main pack passed us and was gone in a matter of 2-3 minutes.

I watched the summary on TV, and if you want to follow the tour, you definitely see a lot more in front of your television indeed.

Here's an impression: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/460912-Le-Grand-Depart-2015?p=7508270#post7508270

Last edited:
Top Bottom