What's new

Is SPF use daily necessary?

I read on a men's grooming website that it is recommended to wear an SPF 15+ moisturizer daily to prevent premature aging of the skin. If this is true than what SPF product do you recommend?

I use the Aveeno Baby sunblock (SPF 45), it's really nice, I'd highly recommend it. Take it from a guy who has lived in Arizona his entire life, this stuff rocks.

Apparently, this is the best sunscreen in the world; La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Lait SPF

My doctor is always telling me to use some form of sunscreen daily. Now I am part albino so she always recommends a higher SPF. However, I have heard that for the average person an SPF of 15 is recommended daily. It helps to protect against the small amounts of damage that UV can do even during short exposures.

It is only necessary if you want to avoid premature aging and skin cancer...otherwise, knock yourself out!
I use Johnson and Johnson Purpose (SPF 15) daily, in addition to whatever ASB I am using. If I will be out flyfishing or cycling where I will have extended sun exposure, I will use and SPF 45 or so...I like Neutrogena. I only use the 15 daily because I work inside, so my sun exposure is limited.

I'm a redhead, and I burn easily, but I won't use any sunscreen or SPF products, unless I plan to be out in the sun for hours. During the week, like many of you, I'm an office worker, which means I'm inside, the majority of the day. I see no reason to protect myself from the sun, when I have no access to it.

I also believe that some time in the sun is beneficial. When I can, I actually try to get out in the sun around noon (when UVB is most intense), unprotected for 20-30 minutes, for some vitamin D. Check out the research on low vitamin D and cancer and you'll be surprised. Also, check out the research on sunscreen chemicals and cancer (titanium dioxide being the one I saw most recently on the news).

Necessary? No.

A good idea in many cases? Absolutely.

There is little doubt that sun damages our skin. If you don't believe me, pull up your shirt and look at the skin on your belly, and compare it to that on your cheeks. And look at the face of a fifty year old Australian rancher, compared to (most) fifty year old Oslo bankers - very similar ethnic and genetic stock - but vastly different environmental conditions.

Most decent quality facial moisturizers will contain some level of SPF protection. If you work indoors, then this will be adequate for daily wear. I personally find it helps keep the skin around my eyes fuller and less tired looking at the end of the day.

Where most of us run into trouble is on weekends - and especially the first few sunny weekends of the year. If you are planning on spending a few hours outdoors, be it working in the yard, playing golf, or just going on a long bike ride - protect your mug with sunscreen, SPF 20 or better. That way, you won't walk into the office on Monday with a red nose and a peeling neck. A cap and a cheapo tube of Coppertone lives in my golf bag, and I make sure to smear myself liberally before heading out on the links. I can't tell you how often I've been the only one at our table at the 19th hole who didn't have a bright red face - and that's not because of my fabulous par saving putts.

For serious sun time: A day at the beach, a camping or boating trip, etc. - you really need to bring out the heavy artillery. Zinc oxide paste for the nose, SPF 30+ for any exposed skin, hats and shirts. Don't spend more than an hour or two exposed to the sun, and try to avoid exposure between 11 am and 2 pm. A tan is OK - but work your way up to it very slowly.

I have fair skin that burns easily. Even though I work in an office I use Jack Black's Double Duty Face Moisturizer every day (has SPF of 20). I really like it as it doesn't have the typical "sunscreen" smell.

I've had skin cancer, so I have more careful than most, but my dermatologist always told me to wear at least SPF 30 (but this is also what he recommended for all of his patients as well)

I suppose that it depends where you live. Where I live the sunburn isn't much of a problem half of the year. As the locals say: "Six months of winter and six months of poor skiing"....

I use Nivea for Men Face Care Revitalizing Lotion Q10 daily. It's got SPF 15 and a really nice feel and light manly scent. You only know its on your face for the first 5 minutes or so.

Top Bottom