What's new

Venturing Into The Single Edge World

A 1912 is any razor with the flip-top actuated with a tab on the rear of the cap that carries the 1912 patent marking on the base around where the handle screws in. These were marketed under the Gem name as well as Ever-Ready, Star, Treet, and probably more. Note that as of 1919 Gem, Ever-Ready and Star were all part of American Safety Razor Corp.

$1912base.jpg

One of these 1912's may be exactly what you are looking for, as they are generally regarded as being more aggressive than the G Bar, Featherweight, Pushbutton, etc. but less aggressive than a Clog-Pruf. The Ever-Ready version made in the 1930's is possibly the most common variant, although Gem's from the 1920's are also quite easy to find at reasonable prices.

--Bob

A 1912 is any razor with the flip-top actuated with a tab on the rear of the cap that carries the 1912 patent marking on the base around where the handle screws in. These were marketed under the Gem name as well as Ever-Ready, Star, Treet, and probably more. Note that as of 1919 Gem, Ever-Ready and Star were all part of American Safety Razor Corp.

View attachment 597884

One of these 1912's may be exactly what you are looking for, as they are generally regarded as being more aggressive than the G Bar, Featherweight, Pushbutton, etc. but less aggressive than a Clog-Pruf. The Ever-Ready version made in the 1930's is possibly the most common variant, although Gem's from the 1920's are also quite easy to find at reasonable prices.

--Bob
Sir, thank you very much for the detailed explanation and the pictures! much appreciated.
i was also told that the bullet tip could be a good fit for my likings, i will look up both and get one or maybe both :) haha
will report the results back here... GOTTA LOVE SE's!

I picked up a G-Bar yesterday. I'm off work this week and my goal was to go all week without shaving. Well, I made it 5 days but I couldn't resist trying out the G-Bar to rid myself of 5 days' growth. I'm completely impressed with this razor. Whoever designed that handle was a genius.

I picked up a G-Bar yesterday. I'm off work this week and my goal was to go all week without shaving. Well, I made it 5 days but I couldn't resist trying out the G-Bar to rid myself of 5 days' growth. I'm completely impressed with this razor. Whoever designed that handle was a genius.
handle and weight are nice for sure, however i found it to be too mild. Nonetheless VERY comfortable shaver. enjoy it

I found these today at the flea market but haven't figured out exactly what they are yet. Anybody care to enlighten me so I don't have to look them up on the internet tonight?

proxy.php

The two on the left are 1912's (can't tell the brand from the picture), the next one is an Ever-Ready 1924 aka Shovelhead, and the last one is some sort of weird double-edged thingy (actually it appears to be a Gillette NEW long comb).

--Bob

The two on the left are 1912's (can't tell the brand from the picture), the next one is an Ever-Ready 1924 aka Shovelhead, and the last one is some sort of weird double-edged thingy (actually it appears to be a Gillette NEW long comb).

--Bob

Thanks, spidey9! I really appreciate you identifying the "Shovelhead." I've taken some Brasso to it and it's cleaning up very nicely: a very pretty razor in my opinion that will most likely spend a lot of time over the sink. Another hour or so with some more Brasso and a soft white cloth and it should be gleaming. The 1912's to the left are both Gems

I was thinking perhaps the DE was a New Long Comb but wasn't sure.

To give credit where credit is due, my wife actually found these for me. She left our booth to go to the port-a-john and was gone a long time and came back with these 4 razors wrapped up in newspaper. She paid $8 for all four.

I shaved with the G-Bar again this morning, but the 1924 Shovelhead is shined up and lined up for tomorrow morning. I'll be interested to see how the bare brass gets along with my hard water.

Well, no shave with the Shovelhead. I spent all that time shining it up and was looking forward to trying it out tomorrow. When I went to put a blade in it this afternoon, I noticed one of the blade stops was busted off. Can't believe I hadn't seen that. Ah well. I transplanted a chrome 1912 head onto the brass handle and I think it looks pretty good. I guess I'll shave with this tomorrow......

proxy.php

Last edited:
Well, no shave with the Shovelhead. I spent all that time shining it up and was looking forward to trying it out tomorrow. When I went to put a blade in it this afternoon, I noticed one of the blade stops was busted off. Can't believe I hadn't seen that. Ah well. I transplanted a chrome 1912 head onto the brass handle and I think it looks pretty good. I guess I'll shave with this tomorrow......

That razor looks great to me :thumbup1:. Sorry about the stops.

Last edited:
Top Bottom