What's new

Pipe-curious: How bad is a $10 pipe?

Hi, All.

I've been a B&B member for about six months and I'm definitely a wet-shaving convert. I've also been a casual cigar-smoker in the past and long, long ago, I tried smoking a pipe. Not knowing what I was doing and not having any money to experiment, that was an abject and short-lived failure.

Now I'm finding myself curious about smoking a pipe again. My sig-O is absolutely not okay with cigars, but likes the smell of a good pipe tobacco and I have this romantic vision of sitting on the back porch with a glass of Balvenie, a pipe and a book in front of the fire pit...or maybe in the garage, with the motorcycle oil draining as I puff away (at a safe distance from the flammables). In any case, I love the idea of a "dry" counterpart to the experience and ritual that is wet-shaving.

With all that said, I truly have no idea what I'm doing. I've read through some of the excellent threads listed in the Gentlemen's Guide to the Leaf, drooled over pictures and marvelled at the enormity of some collections. Unfortunately, that didn't do anything for my edification. Beyond knowing some pipe shapes that I like (apple, bulldog, diplomat), I'm still clueless.

So what do I do? I start looking on Amazon. And I see a pear-wood pipe for $10. And I read the reviews and see that, not surprisingly, it's crap. But I'm still intrigued, and so here I am.

Okay, I'm not going to buy it. But that begs the question - assuming I feel up to another trip down another rabbit hole, what do I buy? Corncob doesn't interest me, I know that, but as I mentioned, I really know nothing else. Jeez, I don't even know the difference between "flake" and "ribbon"...but I'm really curious to learn!

I guess I'm looking for "what you need and why you need it" and "things pipe-smokers say" threads to, well, clear the air on the subject for me. Help?

Thanks in advance. If nothing else, I'll continue to enjoy the pictures of the amazing pipes that you all have and build!

Last edited:
I think steering away from that pipe is a good idea. While I still think cobs should be given a chance (even the ozark hardwoods), I understand your feelings.

Is 10 dollars your budget? Or are you willing to invest a little bit more?

Used to smoke a pipe quite a bit, quit them. Miss them. Nothing like a pipeful of a $3 Missouri Meershaum filled with a nice Virginia flake while taking a stretching break on a motorcycle ride, that's for sure.

I tried several wood pipes, didn't care to smoke used pipes, new one's needed a break-in period. I found the corncobs just gave me the best combination of newness and freshness that I appreciated.

A few questions:
Why are you against cobs? Missouri Meerscham cobs are likely the best smoking pipes you can get for the money. I have a ozark hardwood and it doesn't look like a traditional cob, but smokes very well. http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/70787/missouri-meerschaum-ozark/

What is your budget? You obviously don't know if this is for you yet, starting cheap is a good way to go IMO. If you then like it, toss the cob (I bet you don't cause it grows on you) and buy a nice briar pipe.

Is there a tobacconist around you that has a wide array of bulk pipe tobacco blends? If so, go there and talk to them. Smell the blends, learn everything! If you bring a pipe they might even let you pack a bowl as a sample. If there is no one around you, I would recommend picking up a sample pack from The Country Squire. They have great customer service and I have yet to find one of their blends that I don't like!

As you will likely hear from others, be wary when buying cheap amazon pipes, these will likely be poor quality and will hinder your initial experience.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
:thumbup1: What he said. And the review on $10 pipes you saw is correct...it would be crap.

Look at spending at least $50-$60...at the least. You can get a very good smoking Savinelli or maybe a Stanwell for a bit under $100. If you are totally against a MM cob then that's about your only choice, as far as price, for something that gives a decent smoke...in my opinion. I have a MM cob, but I do smoke my briars the most. Besides the Pipes and Cigars site there is also Smokingpipes .

Since you are in the SF area there should be plenty of tobbaconist or cigar lounges that have pipes and pipe tobacco. Drop in to one and talk to the people there.

As to the different cuts and types of tobacco, here's a little primer to get you started.

I think this evening I think I'll pop open a tin of Peterson's Irish Oak that's been sitting for a few months while I finished up the other tin of it I had, load up my Charatan, and kick back with a tumbler of Macallan single malt scotch. I just fired up a bowl of Prince Albert in my Savinelli to go with my morning coffee.

I don't smoke that often anymore, only occasionally in spring & summer. If you want a good $10 pipe, give a cob a try. 90% of the time, especially if I'm puttering around in the yard or shed, I choose a Missouri Meerschaum cob over my $100+ Peterson.

I've been smoking a pipe for a little over 40 years and I think that most people that want to try a pipe and then quit after a bad experiance do so because they set themselves up for failure by buying an inexpensive pipe to start with.

You really can't expect a good experiance from a "drug store" pipe. If you do not want to spend a lot to begin with, think about buying a estate (used) pipe from a respected dealer such as smoking pipes.com.

Same with tobacco, quality equals enjoyment.

No matter what you choose, expect a long learning curve, you don't become a pipe smoker like you can become a cigarette smoker, just by lighting up. It takes practice and patience. Even with the right tools, you will experiance tongue bite, etc. as you are learning to smoke properly.

Like wet shaving, you will be rewarded in the end.

You wouldn't expect a good shave from a plastic throw away razor, why expect a good smoke from a cheap pipe.

I'll put in another vote for the MM Ozark (a wood pipe that is well within your budget) and cobs.

Additionally, if you're diligent you can score a decent estate pipe on eBay for $10 shipped. I've bought a bunch; some were wins (including a few unsmoked ones), a few were losses.

Wow - so many great replies! I probably should have expected that, but it's a pleasant surprise. :001_smile

Is 10 dollars your budget? Or are you willing to invest a little bit more?

I think for a starter pipe, I'd like to stay in the $30 to $50 range. I'm not poor, but I'm not rich and just like with shaving, it doesn't make sense (to me) to start with ATT or Wolfman when a user-grade Flare Tip works well...if you'll allow the analogy.

Used to smoke a pipe quite a bit, quit them. Miss them. Nothing like a pipeful of a $3 Missouri Meershaum filled with a nice Virginia flake while taking a stretching break on a motorcycle ride, that's for sure.

That's actually part of my plan! I just did about 1k miles in three days through the Northern California redwoods with one of my best friends. It would have been great to smoke something nice on one of the stops.

A few questions:
Why are you against cobs? Missouri Meerscham cobs are likely the best smoking pipes you can get for the money. I have a ozark hardwood and it doesn't look like a traditional cob, but smokes very well. http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/70787/missouri-meerschaum-ozark/

I don't find them to be at all attractive, at least the ones I've seen. Again, I'm new to this, so it's quite possible that there's one out there that looks nice, but I'm more of a "smooth briar" guy, or perhaps a little rustication would work. The Ozark hardwood that you mentioned might work, so thanks for pointing me to it.

And, again pleading ignorance, perhaps I just don't understand the definition of a "cob" pipe and I'm unnecessarily ignoring a good option. More research!

What is your budget? You obviously don't know if this is for you yet, starting cheap is a good way to go IMO. If you then like it, toss the cob (I bet you don't cause it grows on you) and buy a nice briar pipe.

As above, $30 to $50 seems reasonable - not cheap, not expensive. However, "less is more" and if I can save some money on the pipe, I can put it toward the tobacco. If I'm going to smoke, I want to enjoy it!

Is there a tobacconist around you that has a wide array of bulk pipe tobacco blends? If so, go there and talk to them. Smell the blends, learn everything! If you bring a pipe they might even let you pack a bowl as a sample. If there is no one around you, I would recommend picking up a sample pack from The Country Squire. They have great customer service and I have yet to find one of their blends that I don't like!

Honestly, I have no idea. I've been reading a bunch on B&B, but haven't looked locally yet. A quick search of Google Maps pulls up two shops, each about 45 minutes away, but in opposite directions. Thanks for the tip on TCS.

I've been smoking a pipe for a little over 40 years and I think that most people that want to try a pipe and then quit after a bad experience do so because they set themselves up for failure by buying an inexpensive pipe to start with.

You really can't expect a good experience from a "drug store" pipe. If you do not want to spend a lot to begin with, think about buying a estate (used) pipe from a respected dealer such as smoking pipes.com.

Same with tobacco, quality equals enjoyment.

I think you're quite right. When I first tried, I had no money, no experience and no mentor. I now have a little bit of each - just enough to be dangerous!

No matter what you choose, expect a long learning curve, you don't become a pipe smoker like you can become a cigarette smoker, just by lighting up. It takes practice and patience. Even with the right tools, you will experiance tongue bite, etc. as you are learning to smoke properly.

Fair enough. If I'm going to do this, I definitely want to enjoy it, but I'm prepared for the learning curve.

I'll put in another vote for the MM Ozark (a wood pipe that is well within your budget) and cobs.

Additionally, if you're diligent you can score a decent estate pipe on eBay for $10 shipped. I've bought a bunch; some were wins (including a few unsmoked ones), a few were losses.

An excellent tip, thanks. I'll check other threads to see what I can glean about assessing pipes from afar, without holding them.

Again, gents, I really appreciate the responses. I'll go back to lurking now, but I'll probably pop in with questions now and again.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Cobs aren't for everyone, but eventually most people come around to them. You should be able to pick up a Dr. Grabow locally for ~$25. They're a no frills design, but solid drilling. 14 years later I still have my first. Toss the filter out if you don't want to use it.

I am the dissenting voice on the MM Ozarks, IMO they are a waste.

Last edited:
Cobs aren't for everyone, but eventually most people come around to them. You should be able to pick up a Dr. Grabow locally for ~$25. They're a no frills design, but solid drilling. 14 years later I still have my first. Toss the filter out if you don't want to use it.

I am the descanting voice on the MM Ozarks, IMO they are a waste.

+1 to all of this (except I've never bought a new Grabow, but have smoked an old one)

And, again pleading ignorance, perhaps I just don't understand the definition of a "cob" pipe and I'm unnecessarily ignoring a good option. More research!

Missouri Meerschaums are the most commonly recommended cobs, and I personally think the Country Gentleman is a great looking pipe. Definitely the pipe I'd recommend for $10.

$cg.jpg

Have you looked at estate pipes? With a little love they will last. Just as your flare tip razor you have to do a little cleaning but its a good way to get to know the pipe.

Again, guys, thanks for taking some time to help a newb.

I will throw in another vote for the MM Ozark. I am curious as to what is not interesting you in the cobs? Is it just the appearance?

Yep, just appearance. I'm a know-nothing, so that's all I have to go on at the moment, but the look doesn't appeal to me.

I was looking at the Grabow pipes and wondering about them, since they are attractive and have a lower price-point. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I am the dissenting voice on the MM Ozarks, IMO they are a waste.

I've read some reviews of the MM Ozarks and almost all were positive. Did you have a bad experience with one (or more)?

+1 to all of this (except I've never bought a new Grabow, but have smoked an old one)

Same question - what's your objection to the MM Ozarks?

Missouri Meerschaums are the most commonly recommended cobs, and I personally think the Country Gentleman is a great looking pipe. Definitely the pipe I'd recommend for $10.

I'm just not feeling it. YMMV? <shrug>

Have you looked at estate pipes? With a little love they will last. Just as your flare tip razor you have to do a little cleaning but its a good way to get to know the pipe.

I have not - I'm just starting to give this some serious thought. And so that I understand, why are they called "estate" pipes? Is it just because it sounds better than "used" or "pre-smoked"?

Estate pipes are the better value if you want to get into pipe smoking and want to have a chance at success, Imho. Cobs are great too, but it sounds like you have no interest. Do some research and see if you can find a quality used/estate pipe on eBay or at a flea market or estate sale. There are plenty of good smoking $10-15 pipes on the bay. You will have to invest a bit of time cleaning them unless you purchase one that is restored, sanitized and ready to smoke. Buying a Dr. Grabow is also a great idea. Buying a pipe based on low price alone, will more than likely turn you off to pipe smoking. These are a few different routes to get you connected with a serviceable pipe. Hang around here and you will get a good education on the ways of the pipe.

I think I saw a savinelli unfinished pipe somewhere for like $50. I kind of like how unfinished pipes unique uneven color as you smoke and handle them. I'm just curious as how they would smoke

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Missouri Meerschaum is a good starting point, even if you don't like the look of cobs. There's the aforementioned Ozarks, and they have a few other hardwood pipes that are a step up, and those run about $15. I like them better than the Ozarks. For briar, Dr. Grabow is a good place to start. At the top end of your budget are Stanwell's Brushed pipes (black or brown), $49.99 at pipesandcigars.com. I have four of them, and they're great pipes.

Just paid $0.99 for a Franks Medico estate pipe on the bay. It's not great looking but it'll clean up. You can't really complain at that price.

Top Bottom