What's new

Nice Doggie! New Wolfman in the house!

Very few things make me go Wow! When I peel the package back but my new Wolfman WR1-DC Polished and stand arrived today and what a great first impression. I have an ATT R2 Colossus and it's a great razor but it feels like a high quality tool where the Wolfman feels like jewelry... I'm almost a little reluctant to get it wet!

Initial impressions are that it feels well balanced despite having a surprisingly lightweight head, the handle is heavier and a little larger diameter than I would have guessed and the knurling is aggressive and gives a confident purchase. The head is thinner than the ATT so I'm looking forward to good handling around the nares. The Wolfman branding on the bottom plate is tasteful and perfectly done. Finish is absolutely beautiful in every respect including under the cap and the threads. Like I said, finished like jewelry. The stand is equal to the razor and holds the razor with confidence. The Wolfman and the ATT stands do not interchange owing to the handle diameters if anyone was wondering.

I'll fire it up later tonight and add my shave impression but reading the reviews and now holding the razor in hand I have pretty high confidence that it will earn a big thumbs up. As has been mentioned in several threads, James is crafting a first class razor and the purchase experience is very positive. I was on the tail end of the old pricing and it feels like I got a bargain but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase at the new prices, this is an heirloom quality tool and even comes with the satisfaction of knowing it was made and finished largely by hand by a real artisan who obviously cares about quality.

Some pictures and more later...

Later...
OK couldn't wait any longer so off to the Fortress Of Solitude I went!
Decided to go with an Astra SP and my favored cream, Simpson's Citrus Burst. Started in with the OC side and flipped to the SB side a few times including under the nose, looking for some comparison data. As I expected, performance (fit) under the nose was very good. Really didn't perceive enough difference in "efficiency" or "aggressiveness" between combs to make conversation although in a couple of my harder hills and valleys like dimples and under the nose I flipped to SB and got good coverage without snagging any fleshy spots. Felt safe enough with it to touch up some ear hair (you laugh now but your time will come smart ***).

I don't really prescribe to the "go this way then go that way" method, preferring to just shave without following rules but for the sake of discussion I shaved "With The Grain" using mostly the OC side and then did a follow up "Across The Grain" pass using only the SB side which was smooth and comfortable and during which I noted that I was still rinsing a fair amount of whiskers. No weepers although I did get some sting with a follow up pass of alum.

After a rinse and a splash of Maggards Orange Menthol I'm feeling like I had an excellent and comfortable shave. I have no desire to compare my face to an infants posterior but I will say that I feel smooth in all directions. I recall having been referenced as a "Hairy ***" or something like that but that's probably not relevant... Anyway, I would rate the shave a smash hit!

In terms of comparison to the ATT R2, I would say roughly equivalent resulting shaves with the comfort level during the shave going to the Wolfman. I felt the Wolfman is a little "smoother" under fire using either comb. The WRH-1 handle felt good in size and balance and as I would have guessed, the grip was excellent. In regards to OC, SB or DC I'm still stuck on the fence in terms of advising others what to buy although I doubt any of them would be a bad choice. Personally, I like being able to decide on the fly so I'm sticking with my DC choice!

Feeling good about the expenditure, potentially one of the best shaving purchases I've made so I wouldn't hesitate to contact James and start the process if you're procrastinating. If you just can't stand the idea of waiting the ATT is also an excellent razor, you'll go crazy with decisions but you will have quick gratification and it will sell easily when you get your Wolfman...

The next day...
Even though I didn't have much beard I hit it again tonight JUST FOR YOU GUYS! And if you believe that, I have King Gilettes razor to sell you, just drop me an email at my Nigerian Prince address... So tonight I dropped a Feather in and lathered up some Bath House Fig Nutmeg. I didn't follow any particular plan and just flipped around between the combs for comparison. For one thing, the Wolf loves Feathers and gave me a very smooth shave regardless of comb. It's still very hard to pick out the differences in the combs but I'm feeling that he OC is the smoothest of the two and the SB is the safest. Make any sense? Nah, I'm still looking for the correct description as well. It's just the best way I can figure to describe it for now. I'm no Engineer (although I did have a train set) but a couple of the discussions about angles and blah blah in this thread seem like they might be viable explanations for the similarity between the two combs. For now I'm thinking if I had to decide on one comb it would be the OC. For comparison with the ATT R2 I'd say it's a step "milder". I haven't tried any of the other ATT heads but I'm going to stick my neck out there and bet it's closest to the M1 and M2 bases because of what I've read and what I know of my R2.

It's not really fair to say I'd buy one over the other yet since I don't really think the Wolf and my R2 and handle are direct comparisons. The geometry is different and the heads are not directly comparable. I can say that the quality is excellent in both although the category has to go to the Wolf, it's pretty much impossible to criticize. With the ATT you can adjust your fit with all the different bases and from what I understand James will produce modified Wolfman bases as well although you'll have to wait your turn, which might be part of the Wolfman's appeal....

So there you go - lot's of words and no damn help. I should've been a politician!

Thats a speck of dust under the WR1...
$image.jpg

Those are my hands reflecting on the smooth spots...
$image.jpg

$image.jpg

And settled in at home...
$image.jpg

Last edited:
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

One Day This Navy Man will own something this beautiful but my paycheck at the moment with two teenage Boys, (AKA Bottomless Pit Eating Machines), says there is NO Way I can Afford something this awesome.

Very Beautiful collection there Loganpass:thumbup:
Nate

One Day This Navy Man will own something this beautiful but my paycheck at the moment with two teenage Boys, (AKA Bottomless Pit Eating Machines), says there is NO Way I can Afford something this awesome.

Now that I'm old and single again I can spend my money on shiny things but you've got something I can't buy so enjoy them while you have them! They're helping to keep you skinny! And thanks for serving... We're able to own shiny stuff because of people who keep us safe and free!:thumbup:

I'm curious to see your thoughts on how the Wolfman compares to the ATT R2.

I think I may be one of the only guys on B&B who has been underwhelmed by the shave I get from my WR1-OC, and I've been thinking of parting ways with it and possibly picking up the 5 piece ATT OC set. I get a good, close shave from my Wolfman, but then again I've been using DEs long enough now that I can get a good shave from almost anything. My problem with the Wolfman is that the shaves have not been nearly as comfortable as the other razors in my rotation. I'm sure it has something to do with my technique, face curvature, skin, or one of the countless other variables that determine whether a given razor gets a permanent slot in the rotation. I really want to love this razor because the craftsmanship is outstanding!!!

Now that I'm old and single again I can spend my money on shiny things but you've got something I can't buy so enjoy them while you have them! They're helping to keep you skinny! And thanks for serving... We're able to own shiny stuff because of people who keep us safe and free!:thumbup:

You Sir are Very Very welcome and I thank and Salute You for Your service which provided me the freedom to chose my Service. I have served this country for over 18 years and I intend to do so until they put me out to pasture by force. The Navy has Given me my Life, My Wife and my Wonderful children as a result. Two reasons, both associated with those two Hambones, are the reason I cannot afford these wonderful Prize Possesions.... 1: They Eat Me Out of House and Home Daily! and Two One is in JROTC, (Uniform Costs) and the other is a musical Savant with any instrument but has settled on the Clarinet so I had to Buy him one today which set my Shave Budget back by months to years. Clarinets are NOT cheap LOL.

Sincerely;
Nate

I think I may be one of the only guys on B&B who has been underwhelmed by the shave I get from my WR1-OC, and I've been thinking of parting ways with it and possibly picking up the 5 piece ATT OC set. I get a good, close shave from my Wolfman, but then again I've been using DEs long enough now that I can get a good shave from almost anything. My problem with the Wolfman is that the shaves have not been nearly as comfortable as the other razors in my rotation. I'm sure it has something to do with my technique, face curvature, skin, or one of the countless other variables that determine whether a given razor gets a permanent slot in the rotation. I really want to love this razor because the craftsmanship is ou

Yep, I get that and I'm kind of in the same boat, I really haven't met too many razors that just didn't work for me and my all time favorite DE up to this point, the Tradere SB I sold in a moment of Duh while I was playing with straights. I'm definitely pleased and impressed with the Wolfman based just on it's appearence so the real moment of truth will still be later tonight. I have Astra's and Feathers's in the cabinet so I have to decide what I'm going to take my first shot with. I find that those two blades give me a range in the ATT that works regardless of the amount of beard or state of my face. Just eyeballing the razor, I'm expecting nice handling because of the thin head and I picked the Dual Comb simply because I coldn't get off the fence so hoping I picked a winner!

Last edited:
congrats on the new razor and nice pics, I absolutely love my WR1-OC.

There are quite a few Wolfman threads going around now, I wonder if we should start a new one that includes all the different variations or merge the existing ones together into a single thread?

congrats on the new razor and nice pics, I absolutely love my WR1-OC.

There are quite a few Wolfman threads going around now, I wonder if we should start a new one that includes all the different variations or merge the existing ones together into a single thread?

Great idea. Start the mega thread, and I'll link the two Wolfman threads I started (SS OC & BRASS SB threads)

Here are my contributions to this thread, and I'll add some more pictures when I get my stubby WRH2 handle hopefully next week. This is the brushed OC head on a Weber Bulldog handle.

I think I may be one of the only guys on B&B who has been underwhelmed by the shave I get from my WR1-OC, and I've been thinking of parting ways with it and possibly picking up the 5 piece ATT OC set. I get a good, close shave from my Wolfman, but then again I've been using DEs long enough now that I can get a good shave from almost anything. My problem with the Wolfman is that the shaves have not been nearly as comfortable as the other razors in my rotation. I'm sure it has something to do with my technique, face curvature, skin, or one of the countless other variables that determine whether a given razor gets a permanent slot in the rotation. I really want to love this razor because the craftsmanship is outstanding!!!
Both the OC and the SB version have the very same side profile. That is the "mistake". That means the OC behaves like a SB. I am putting "mistake" inside of quotes because shaving is after all YMMV and the razors of Wolfman are clearly well made. However, in my experience, the gap should be smaller on a an OC. If you still want it aggressive, you should rather add exposure than gap.

I am designing an open comb razor myself and it has V-shaved teeth in the comb. This makes it possible to have the blade almost touching the comb, but still you do not get unshaven stripes. That gives extreme comfort, in my opinion.

Even the over-aggressive R41 has the teeth almost touching the blade (basically no gap). Still it shaves more close than any other razor.

But as I said, things are very much YMMV.

Top Bottom