What's new

PIF Closed-BBQ cookbook PIF Closed

Definitely a cool cookbook. Got mine a couple days ago and am really enjoying it so far. A good combination of interesting reading, technique, recipes and the science behind the cook. I made some espresso sauce last night and am trying a brisket tomorrow which is good because I need some drippings to finish the sauce.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I got a misto to spray my meat. It works really well

I got a misto to spray my meat. It works really well
That I have, never thought of using it.

Great idea.

Franklin Ribfest is being delayed a day. One of the kids who loves ribs is under the weather. They haven't been rubbed and everything will be fine to cook on Sunday. We don't want to chow down on one of his favorite meals in front of him when he doesn't have an appetite.

Hopefully he feels better, but they will likely hit the smoker on Sunday no matter what as I can't do them M-F.

Last edited:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
My apologies. It's been over a month since I've tried the sauce. I received the Vinegar BBQ sauce. I ended up using it as a mop sauce on some chicken breasts and drumsticks that I first seasoned with a North Carolina style spice rub, and a small slab of pork baby back ribs that was first seasoned with a basic spice rub of salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, and brown sugar.

$2015-07-05 Ribs2.jpg
$IMG_20150705_142725026.jpg

Tossed them in my smoker @ 275° with some apple and cherry wood.

After an hour or two (I can't remember how long everything took), right before the first mopping:

$IMG_20150705_163612822.jpg

Almost there:

$IMG_20150705_174417200.jpg

And done!

$IMG_20150705_183131357.jpg

The sauce ended up having a lot lighter of a flavor than I was expecting. Still very good, though. It gave the meats a slightly sweet and tangy taste, and coated everything with a slight glaze, without being overly sloppy or concentrated.

Sorry, so late to post, gentlemen. Thanks, again, Aaron!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Any leftovers?

I'd be right there, but a small cooler with dry ice works well for shipping.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Any leftovers?

I'd be right there, but a small cooler with dry ice works well for shipping.

Now there's a thought... PIFing some home smoked meats. :w00t:

Sadly, these pictures were taken on the 5th of July, so the chicken and ribs have been long since consumed. I would get distracted every time I would get on B&B and forget to post the pictures.

Luc

Staff member
I made the BBQ fig sauce over the week end from the book. Really nice BBQ sauce. The local grocery store had figs on special but it's not something that I would do on a regular basis (considering the price of the figs around here). I enjoyed it very much and did half a recipe as it looked like a lot considering the ingredient list versus the final quantity noted on the recipe.

I will possibly make it again but will look at a "more common" or "cheaper" fruit than figs for next time. I still need to make the regular BBQ sauce that he has. I found the espresso sauce to be good but nothing made me go wow!

I made the BBQ fig sauce over the week end from the book. Really nice BBQ sauce. The local grocery store had figs on special but it's not something that I would do on a regular basis (considering the price of the figs around here). I enjoyed it very much and did half a recipe as it looked like a lot considering the ingredient list versus the final quantity noted on the recipe.

I will possibly make it again but will look at a "more common" or "cheaper" fruit than figs for next time. I still need to make the regular BBQ sauce that he has. I found the espresso sauce to be good but nothing made me go wow!
I am really interested in trying the fig sauce, glad to hear you enjoyed it. I made a batch of the "regular" this weekend and thought it was pretty decent. I used habanero ketchup so it has a little kick to it. I also made the espresso sauce and liked it but thought the regular was more enjoyable. I messed up a couple of details on the espresso sauce though and am wanting to take another stab at it.

I will possibly make it again but will look at a "more common" or "cheaper" fruit than figs for next time.

One of my favorite bottled sauces is made from Blueberries. We buy it from Busters BBQ in Vermilion Bay ON.

I really need to try making one of these sauces.

One of my favorite bottled sauces is made from Blueberries. We buy it from Busters BBQ in Vermilion Bay ON.

That sounds really promising.
I like to add strawberry jam to bbq sauce when I'm doctoring it up, a little sweet and fruity goes really well with spicy/smoky blends.

Luc

Staff member
I am really interested in trying the fig sauce, glad to hear you enjoyed it. I made a batch of the "regular" this weekend and thought it was pretty decent. I used habanero ketchup so it has a little kick to it. I also made the espresso sauce and liked it but thought the regular was more enjoyable. I messed up a couple of details on the espresso sauce though and am wanting to take another stab at it.

I pretty much followed both recipes to the letter (which I normally do when I first make a recipe and I tweak from there). The regular is on my list which will probably be when I finish the fig sauce. I like my sauce fresh!

The balance between acidity and sweetness is nice. I used ancho chili which are now easy to find (not the case 10 years ago). I don't find the sauce spicy but it has a small kick to it which is nice. The more you eat, the hotter it gets...

I may try that with blueberries as those are super easy to get and the fruit could be very sweet or tart which would be nice with the vinegar. I make most of my sauces in the Vitamix. I usually liquify all ingredients and then reduce the mixture. Average rule of thumb, it takes me around 30-40 mins to have a batch of 64 oz BBQ sauce ready which is easy to make right after you drop the meat the grill!

I believe that the fig sauce will be killer(good) on ribs...

Top Bottom