What's new

What's Your Latest 100 Blade Purchase, And Why?

I used the term Prep to refer to either Lab or Med, since I understand them to be basically the same piece of steel. So it's good to hear that I got what I was hoping to get. Yay!

Two weeks ago, I told the clerk I couldn't believe the price she was selling them for. I'm not used to items in the store, especially blades, being as cheap as what I can find online. She suggested that she could charge me more for them if I'd prefer, but I declined that offer. It was kind of her to offer, though.

Hi Mandan, I notice this is your first post. Welcome! I'm just curious whether you're relatively new to safety razors or just to the forum. Sounds like you have had some experience with different blades.

I also bought Tomy blades. I like them, but then I seem to be able to use about any blade for a long time. If you're relatively new, maybe put the Tomys aside for awhile while you stick with a blade(s) that works well for you now, and then revisit them sometime down the line.

Sorry I just getting back with everyone my work does allow for much internet.
No I have used a safety razor for some time don't really know how long. I have used a lot of different blades shark, merkur, dorco, wilkinson sword, crystals, ect. I shaved with a new Tomy blade out of the same pack today and it done well. It may have been a mismake from the factory. I have experienced the same thing with wilkinson swords before hit a bad one from time to time. I'm also curious has anyone had some of the crystal blades with one dull side I have had several of those. I shave with a Merkur Futur if that makes a difference before that I shave with a straight razor but it's time consuming keeping them honed and stropped.

Read that the Personna US plant may be on the chopping block, so I picked up 200 US Personnas ("Comfort Coated") on eBay for $12.25/100 shipped. I like the compact packaging and the fact that they are US made. About the same as Crystals as far as I can tell.

I am set for a while now.

I haven't used either. How do they compare to other popular blades. Say, Personna, Feathers, Nacet, etc.
I'm not the best person to ask. I seem to be able to use about any blade I've tried and haven't used that many different ones. I never used Feathers or Nacets. I would say Tomys come somewhere in between the generic US Personna "barbers" you can (could?) find in rebranded in drugstores and the Personna "Labs", probably closer to the barbers (I actually like the generic barbers, so you can see how questionable my opinion may be :001_smile). Crystals may fall a little closer to the Labs than the Tomys do. But this is another thing you're going to find as many different opinions on as there are people who have tried them.

Gillette Super Thin (Thai, but made in Shanghai i'm told). Actually it's 120 as there are six in a pack.

Why? I spent months comparing them to 20 other blades and they won.

I live in Thailand so it's really down to Feather and Astra (blue and green). There are a few others but they don't warrant mentioning IMO. I've also compared them to several other top draw blades like 7o'clock Yellows, Silver Blues, Polsilvers etc and found them every bit as good, except i can pick these up at my local Macro. I get five great shaves and a headshave on Sunday and into the blade bank it goes. Not only are they sharp and forgiving but i reckon i could shave with these blind drunk without nicking myself.

Voskhod, I like this blade and I was able to get a great deal on the Bay. Picked up 500, Did I mention that I like em!

Good job. I thought that when I bought 300 Voskhod, that I was going too far. Thanks for making me feel better. They are a great performing blade, and the wife likes them too.
What was the total cost on the 500?

I purchased the following together to save on shipping:
100 Polsilver SI
100 Personna Lab
100 Astra SP
50 Feather
Edwin Jagger Kelvin

I have to spend more than 2 weeks with each blade so a couple of 5 blade packs won't do. If I get a blade I can not use, I can put it on the BST or PIF them.

Currently I am getting nearly BBS shaves using the EJ Kelvin and any of the first three blades.

My favorite is the Personna Lab but that could change.

I am looking forward to getting a great technique to use with the Feathers.

Picked up a 1,000 Rapira Swedish SuperSteel, 350 Rapira Platinum Lux and 800 GSBs. Why? I have BAD real bad, that's why. :laugh:

I am also thinking about picking up 1,000 Gillette Permasharps and 1,000 Vidyut Super Platinum. :001_tongu

Looks like you are planning to live a LONG TIME! 1,000 blades would last me 10-15 years. At that rate your stash would last me more than 40 years. Good luck using those up. :lol:

After trying some Voskhod's for the first time, I have ordered 100. It is weird because I know my GSB's are awesome and giving me a slightly closer shave with a bit less work, but the Voskhod's are so comfortable to use I think they will become my daily use blade and my GSB's will be relegated to special occasion shaving duties...

Looks like you are planning to live a LONG TIME! 1,000 blades would last me 10-15 years. At that rate your stash would last me more than 40 years. Good luck using those up. :lol:

Ha Ha. BAD does not need any sound logical reasoning. Any reason is good enough to hoard. I have in fact added a 1,000 Permasharps and a 1,000 Vidyut SPs. Now I do not care if the entire world DE blade production seizes tomorrow. Did I mention that 800 GSBs were added too.:001_tongu

Did anyone mention you can buy them by the five-pack too?.

I'm just as guilty. I don't think I've ever purchased a single pack of blades, ever. Had a couple of individual packs thrown in for free with purchases. But when I buy, I buy quantity. Smallest order is usually around 30, if I'm unsure. But with shipping costs, I usually just pick up 100+ at a time.

I am mostly done buying now though, except for when I find vintage lots. I'm really trying to stay under the 5 digit mark, because that's my own personal point where I know I've gone too far.

Top Bottom