What's new

What on earth is this?

I got this from a store and it was marked as a Gillette vintage razor. After looking around I am not so sure. Could the head be a Merkur? Any ideas? Please see the pictures.

Thanks,
Doug

$DSCN7512.jpg$DSCN7513.jpg$DSCN7518.jpg

Definitely not Gillette, and I don't think it's Merkur either, the cap studs look different. Perhaps one of the many Merkur clones.

Might be a Maggard's head. I'm not very familiar with the models, but maybe the MR3. I thought the handles were solid, someone will know for sure.

Last edited:
That looks like a Maggard MR3 or MR8 handle but the base has a hole in it, mine does not. The head does not look like my Maggard closed comb although it might be, I can't tell from that angle. In the Top Photo though it looks identical to my Maggard MR8 Closed Comb except shorter.
Hope this helps;
Sincerely;
Nate

Last edited:
That looks like a Maggard MR3 or MR8 handle but the base has a hole in it, mine does not. The head does not look like my Maggard closed comb although it might be, I can't tell from that angle. In the Top Photo though it looks identical to my Maggard MR8 Closed Comb except shorter.
Hope this helps;
Sincerely;
Nate
I was thinking the same thing.

I was looking at the Maggard wed site and the finish on the MR3 and MR8 are of a gloss or highly polished where as this is more of a matt finish.

Here is my Maggard MR3 handle with an ATT M2 head. You can see that the handles are not quite the same. Have you tried shaving with it?

$handles.jpg

I have used it with Timor, Merkur and Personna blades. I had a lot of trouble with the Personna as it cut easily and caused a lot of irritation. It took me a while to find the right blade angle. It seems to work well (for a newbie) with blades that are not to sharp. I wanted to try a larger handle and found out that I really needed a longer and bulkier one. It is so short that I have a difficult time holding it. It was an interesting experiment but I will stick to my Edwin Jagger DE89LBL with a Robert Quinn handle as my go to razor.

Thanks very much for your input.

I got it at Ross Cutlery in Los Angeles. It is a big store and shaving is just one of many things they sell.

It looks like Newo is correct, thanks very much. Now that I know what it is I called the owner of Ross Cutlery. He said he thought it was a Gillette and gave me a full refund, no problem. I sending the razor back to him. You can't be an expert on everything and I think because they deal with so many different things in the store it was an honest mistake. I don't think they were trying to pull a fast one and I would deal with them again.

Top Bottom