What's new

Gin for G&T's

Oh, grayling! I read that wrong. I guess it's no surprise I haven't seen it here. Michigan is quite a drive.

And I know a lot of folks will disagree with me putting New Amsterdam above some of those, especially Hendricks. Bombay and Hendricks are definitely more complex, but for me, I just prefer the taste of New Amsterdam better.

New Amsterdam is such a sleeper. Its really fantastic in any gin drink and is my go to.

I just tried No 3 London Dry Gin. Its pretty pricey but is my new favorite gin - for special occasions.

The tonic makes more difference than the gin. Avoid premixed tonic water - use tonic syrup, splash of sparkling water and bitters. * Gin * tonic syrup* bitters* splash or more of sparkling water (Perrier, Topo Chicho, San Pelligrino, club soda, etc.)* lime* sweeten to taste Tonic: Jack Rudy's Tonic syrup has a little agave nectar in it, so provides ideal amount of sweetness needed. No sugar or sweetener needed. Their Elder flower Tonic is also fantastic. Jack Rudy tonics and flavorings are at most liquor stores and on Amazon. John's Premium Tonic is almost like a super premium bitters all by itself, but may want to sweeten if using this one. John's is available one place - on line from the guy in Arizona who makes it. Simple web site to order, but it works. Tomr's - I don't like as much - it's got the quinine though if that's all you are looking for. Grupo - has a bunch of crazy tonic-like syrups and some are great. Bitterman's - another bunch of crazy tonic-like syruprs. I think these guys are the ones with the Charred Grapefruit tonic syrup. Great. Amazon's - just look on Amazon and you'll see 4-5 brands. Bitters:There are lime bitters, grapefruit bitters, orange bitters, and many others that are great. I like Angastura (the regular or the orange), and I like Bitter Truth bitters, and I really like the charred grapefruit bitters (I forget who makes it, but it's on Amazon) and the lime bitters (I forget who makes that, but it's on Amazon).

Bombay Sapphire is my Gin of choice but not usually with G&T , but I have had the Sapphire East and that is fantastic in G&T.

The one I want to try is the Bombay Amber, but as I do not international travel I doubt I would be in the Duty-free in the select airports they sell it

proxy.php

My favorite by far. It's a 2 G&T night!

Independent mother of 2, Artist, Teacher, L.O.L.S, W.I.S.E.

I used to go with Gordons, in general, but Bombay Sapphire really does change the flavour profile to a much more rounded body. Its ubiquitousness is also a factor to consider, because even though I have tried quite a few local gins, they tend to be available only in a fairly limited area. I'm not going back to Gordons anytime soon though.

I just tried Sapphire East and I love it. I mixed mine with Fever Tree Indian Tonic and it was fantastic. Stupid expensive for tonic but delicious.

Bombay Sapphire is my Gin of choice but not usually with G&T , but I have had the Sapphire East and that is fantastic in G&T.

The one I want to try is the Bombay Amber, but as I do not international travel I doubt I would be in the Duty-free in the select airports they sell it

I just tried Sapphire East and I love it. I mixed mine with Fever Tree Indian Tonic and it was fantastic. Stupid expensive for tonic but delicious.

Glad you liked it - truly the best G&T I have had! Have never tried different tonics - might have to give that a try :thumbup:

[...]Have never tried different tonics - might have to give that a try :thumbup:

On that note, what are your views on the importance of the tonic in a G&T? I've never been too bothered either, so I'm quite curious.

Does anyone know of another simple-ish cocktail (or preparation) with gin that tastes as smooth as a G&T? I've always been wary of most other drinks with gin as some I've tried are either too sweet or just do not have that nice flavour to it.

On that note, what are your views on the importance of the tonic in a G&T? I've never been too bothered either, so I'm quite curious.

Does anyone know of another simple-ish cocktail (or preparation) with gin that tastes as smooth as a G&T? I've always been wary of most other drinks with gin as some I've tried are either too sweet or just do not have that nice flavour to it.

Well my G&T are called "Mostlies" as in Mostly Gin and tonic. :blushing: But is I sprang for "Better" more expensive tonic, I would definitely experiment with the %s.

Well there are always Martinis :w00t: . You can try a Tom Collins but the Gin can get lost depending on how you make them....

Tanqueray Ten is my all-time favourite: it's priced at a premium over the standard Tanquerary, but worth it IMHO.

Martin Millers is excellent, and I'm also partial to the 209 gin made in San Francisco.

SWMBO likes Hendricks with a twizzle of cucumber in it.

Not to high-jack a G&T thread, But has anyone tried the Old Tom Gins that have been out there now for a few years? I had a bottle of the Ransom but had in mostly in Martinis. Wonder what it would be like in a G&T (o.k. I full circled back on topic :001_cool:)

Not to high-jack a G&T thread, But has anyone tried the Old Tom Gins that have been out there now for a few years? I had a bottle of the Ransom but had in mostly in Martinis. Wonder what it would be like in a G&T (o.k. I full circled back on topic :001_cool:)

I have had a few, Tanqueray, Ransom, want to try Hayman's, I had one other but name escapes me.

I never tried in a G&T. I would highly recommend looking up specific cocktails that call for it.

I can't see it being bad in it, but not sure the subtleties would come through. I think you need a good juniper-y gin to stand up against most tonics to make the drink balanced.

The gin that I keep coming back to is Plymouth. I lobe Hendricks and I really love Monkey 47, but for just plain greta everyday gin I keep going back to Plymouth. New Amsterdam is the greatest bang for buck on the planet. IMHO

I bought a few bottles this past year and keep returning to the good old Beefeater. I like Bombay Sapphire but it's more expensive and I think Beefeater does a wonderful job.

I bought a tonic concentrate called "3/4 oz Tonic Maison" and that really made the drink, but it's expensive and I'm not sure if they ship to the USA (they're based in Montreal).

For the Tom Collins same thing, Beefeater is my gin of choice and Bombay Sapphire is just as good.

Top Bottom