What's new

Gin for G&T's

Any thoughts on the best Gin to use for G&T's?

I've used Bombay Sapphire and New Amsterdam in the past. The Bombay is better, and for the $ it should be.

What do you use for G&T's?

Any thoughts on the best Gin to use for G&T's?

I've used Bombay Sapphire and New Amsterdam in the past. The Bombay is better, and for the $ it should be.

What do you use for G&T's?

Whatever I have on hand. Gordons Gin is inexpensive and fairly good quality. Bombay Sapphire is clearly superior, though.

The last few years I have been using Aldi's Cromwell gin. It regularly wins all the prizes against the far more expensive branded gins and cost me under £10 a bottle!

Gareth

IMO I honestly prefer New Amsterdam but to each there own. I'm intrigued by the prevalence in local gins here this year. I might have to do some experimentation;)

Not a fan of Sapphire in G&Ts -- too flowery.
Normally use Gordons -- to me it is the quintessential gin to go with tonic.
When I want something different I go for Tanqueray Old Tom.

A Hendricks G&T with cucumber is really good too.

I'm retired & love my daily G&T's, or even gin on the rocks. I'd rather not say how many 1.75 liter bottles of gin I go thru in a month. I have tried many gins and I don't like, what I call, flavored gins, Hendricks, New Amsterdam, #10, etc, as I prefer to add my own fresh lemon slice to G&T's for the citrus component. I make my G&T's with either Beefeaters (my 94 proof gin of choice) or Gordon's (my 80 proof budget gin of choice).

As far as I'm concerned you can't beat Beefeaters for the price. In NJ, I can get 94 proof Beefeaters for $33 before tax so it's hard to justify spending $40 for Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray, although both are good gins. I can get Gordon's for $20 before tax so it's hard to justify $31 for 80 proof Bombay (another good gin) to mix in a G&T. On vacations, usually Kentucky or Maine, I splurge and treat myself to fifths of Bombay Sapphire, Brokers or City of London gin while I'm away.

Tonic is the other factor. For me it's usually grocery store Polar Tonic. It's cheaper, lower carbs/sugar, and just as good as Canada Dry, Seagrams & Schweppes. If I have company, or it's on sale, I buy a name brand. My favorite tonic is FEVER-TREE Premium Indian Tonic, but it's hard to find and expensive. I didn't care for the much-hyped Q-Tonic. Avoid using diet tonic.

One of my other tricks is to keep a fifth bottle of Beefeaters, Sapphire, Brokers or City of London in the fridge usually filled with Beefeaters or Gordons. Besides liking my gin cold, surprise visitors won't know the difference.

Tonic is the other factor. For me it's usually grocery store Polar Tonic. It's cheaper, lower carbs/sugar, and just as good as Canada Dry, Seagrams & Schweppes. If I have company, or it's on sale, I buy a name brand. My favorite tonic is FEVER-TREE Premium Indian Tonic, but it's hard to find and expensive. I didn't care for the much-hyped Q-Tonic. Avoid using diet tonic.

I like the flavor of Polar tonic too -- but I've noticed it goes flat much faster than Schweppes. Plus I can get Schweppes in the small, single serving bottles, which takes the going flat part out of the equation.

If you are looking to sample some new American gin look for Prairie our of Minnesota. Think of a muted Hendricks and that will get you in the ballpark. I have been skipping the citrus because it overwhelms the flavor balance.

And diet tonic is wretched.

So, I need to get a bottle of Gordons, or maybe Seagrams Extra Dry? I'm just talking for G&T's, not martinis, etc.

A few weekends ago, I had some Jack Rudy tonic concentrate instead of pre mixed tonic water. It was really good. The brand was Jack Rudy I think. The bottle is kind of expensive (~$20), however you only add about half an ounce, so that does make a good handful of G&Ts. You also top it with regular soda water.

Last edited:
Top Bottom