What's new

Gin for G&T's

Not a fan of Sapphire in G&Ts -- too flowery.
Normally use Gordons -- to me it is the quintessential gin to go with tonic.
When I want something different I go for Tanqueray Old Tom.

A Hendricks G&T with cucumber is really good too.

That is my go to G&T. Very good!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I like Beefeater in my G&T, but I've been drinking more gin & sodas, lately. I still go with Beef, there.

Gordon's, Tanqueray, Beefeaters, something hearty, and juniper so to speak, has to stand up to the tonic.

Green hook Ginsmiths and Bar Hill although very excellent craft gins, did not do as well in a G&T over this past weekend.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Club soda or seltzer.

Really, I need to make my own sparkling mineral water again. It's easy and a hell of a lot cheaper than buying it in any other way. I make a few gallons at a time. It helps to have homebrewing stuff.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Whatever you like, really. I've used light, dark, and downright black rums and enjoyed them all.

For a daily, run of the mill gin, I would choose Bombay Sapphire.

My preferred gins, in order:

Caorunn
Monkey 47
Blackfriar's

If you are on a budget or need something you can get anywhere then go for Gordons or Beefeater. Both are very good for the price.

Tanqueray is my favourite mass market gin. Especially good if you can find the Export Strength, bottled at 47% ABV as opposed to the regular 40% labeled Imported. I've only bought duty free in litre bottles but a mate has bought it from online sellers.

A good balance of artisan cred and availability is Cadenhead Old Raj. Very much juniper driven and spicy without being sweet.

Beyond that there are any number of exotic and small run gins from the majors and craft distillers that are well worth trying just for the change.

I find Bombay Sapphire and Hendricks too sweet and floral for what I want in a G&T. Bombay makes an excellent martini, however.

Hendrick's is hard to beat....but there's a local distillery in Detroit called "Two James" and the gin they produce has the most unique taste I've ever experienced. If you can find it in your state, try it! Two James is phenomenal!

Top Bottom