What's new

Gin for G&T's

Hendrick's, but only if I have the cucumber to compliment. If not, then Beefeater's or Bombay Sapphire. I'm glad to have found this thread as I now have quite a few previously unknown gins to try!

sleepy

Greenall's, they use to make the Bombay Sapphire...

Greenall's is an incredibly good gin and unfortunately I can no longer buy that here. The manager of a local liquor store, also a gin drinker, recommended it to me as good in a martini. Sometimes when I'm visiting a town in which I can buy it, I stock up. I don't recall if I ever tried mixing it with tonic.

On a recent trip to Michigan, I discovered a local gin treat!

Greyling Modern Dry Gin made by Two Birds Artisan Spirits in Southwestern Michigan.

It's very smooth and has some great notes. I made a G&T with no lime and it was awesome. This is one I'll be buying again.

Label:
proxy.php

Last edited:
I like Bombay Sapphire with the Canada Dry single serving tonic bottles.
With a twist of lime!

I've never really read up on it but I've never heard of it being the "wrong way" to drink it. I think it enhances the flavor myself, though I don't use a lot of it.

I like Bombay Sapphire with the Canada Dry single serving tonic bottles.
With a twist of lime!

I've never really read up on it but I've never heard of it being the "wrong way" to drink it. I think it enhances the flavor myself, though I don't use a lot of it.

Sounds like a normal G&T to me... am I missing something?

I thought so too! I started at the beginning of the thread and saw some posts that said it was a bad idea or overpowered the gin and ruined the drink. I'd never heard such a thing, thought this was common.

Edit- had a look at the linked article and now need to try one with lemon just to satisfy my curiosity. Still sticking to limes though.
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/g...y_lemon_properly_complements_a_gin_and_tonic/

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

I've always understood that the proper way to make a G&T is to float a slice of lemon on top, rather than squeeze a wedge of anything or to serve with a twist. But, hey, whatever puts a smile on one's face seems like the way to go.

But, hey, whatever puts a smile on one's face seems like the way to go.

That's the way I look at most of the "rules" on stuff like this:) If I see somebody mixing really good bourbon with cola I may encourage them to try it straight instead but that's about as far as I go with it.

To be fair though, I've never seen anybody put lemon in a gin and tonic. I have only had them with lime so maybe I am missing something. The orange sounds interesting too.

When I first got into Gin, I watched videos on YouTube on how to make some common drinks (G&T, Martini, Gimlet, etc.) Everything I saw showed putting lime juice into the G&T. I thought that was normal. I loved it when I tried it, and sometimes I make it with a lot of lime. I ordered a G&T at a bar, and they just tossed a tiny wedge of lime into the drink, and I did not like it as much that way. Depending on the Gin, I like more or less lime. The Greyling above is the first one I've really enjoyed without lime.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
To be fair though, I've never seen anybody put lemon in a gin and tonic. I have only had them with lime so maybe I am missing something. The orange sounds interesting too.

Order one in the UK, some time. Lemon slice and no ice.

Order one in the UK, some time. Lemon slice and no ice.
No ice?? Now that's crazy talk!!!
I'll try one later. Is it a smaller drink or just more tonic...or more gin? You know, to fill the glass?
And the lemon...do you squeeze it in or just float it?

I'm also going to try the rum and tonic with lime you suggested earlier in the thread, that sounds good. I like rum but even with diet coke it's a little too sweet sometimes.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Often in a highball glass, but could be smaller.

You don't need ice in the UK! It's friggin' cold! More seriously, it's often more of a sipping drink.

Here is my Gin selection, placed in order from least expensive to most.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441666591.793745.jpg

I did a taste test with them all, first on the rocks, then mixed with a little tonic.

They pretty much remained in the same order, with the most expensive being the best, with one exception...

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441666783.551083.jpg

New Amsterdam performs well above its price point. I knew it was good when I bought it, and it's very affordable, but it really surprised me just how good it was compared to the rest of the lineup.

Often in a highball glass, but could be smaller.

You don't need ice in the UK! It's friggin' cold! More seriously, it's often more of a sipping drink.
Okay I tried this tonight and I have to admit the English might be on to something here:) very tasty. I used Bombay sapphire and tonic, no ice, squeeze of lemon. There is a sweetness to this drink I haven't ever experienced having it with ice and lime, I think the warmer temp gives it a completely different flavor.
I don't think it's going to totally replace ice and lime for me, especially since I've always viewed it as a refreshing summer drink but I will definitely enjoy one this way now and then.

Here is my Gin selection, placed in order from least expensive to most.

View attachment 599343

I did a taste test with them all, first on the rocks, then mixed with a little tonic.

They pretty much remained in the same order, with the most expensive being the best, with one exception...

View attachment 599345

New Amsterdam performs well above its price point. I knew it was good when I bought it, and it's very affordable, but it really surprised me just how good it was compared to the rest of the lineup.
i need to keep my eyes open for the grey line, I don't believe I've seen it around here. I have seen the new Amsterdam but haven't tried it, might be my next bottle.

Top Bottom