What's new

Looking at finishing stones

So I'm looking to get a finishing stone to complete my first honing set, but I'm not sure what route to go.

I currently have a Naniwa professional 1k to set the bevel, I'm looking to get a Naniwa professional 5k as an intermediate, and finally its the finisher that I'm not sure about.

I do have a small Apache strata stone that is nice but its fairly small so it makes working with it somewhat hard. I wouldn't mind getting a larger strata but the naturalhones site is completely down giving a 500 page error, I'm not sure if they're out of business or what.

some other options I'm looking at for a finisher are:
Coti
Shapton 10k, 15k, or 16k
Naniwa professional 10k

I'm not sure 5k jumping to 15 or 16 (or the 30k) is that great of an idea, so I'm thinking more likely in the coti or 10-12k range but open to opinions on options or other suggestions.

obviously I don't want to needlessly spend too much, but I also don't mind paying for good quality stone that will provide good use. and I most likely will be expanding my stone collection in the future too, but looking to get a good set to start with.

any thoughts or suggestions?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A barber size JNat, a couple of Mikawa naguras, and a tomo nagura and you won't need the 5k.

Cheers, Steve

the problem with my strata is that its small, so working with it is difficult, its only like 3" x 3.5" tapering to 4" on one side

I have been working with a JNAT or me thinks it is and a Tomo nagura and then to my Apache and it gives me a pretty keen edge

I can't imagine needing, or even wanting, to go from a Jnat finisher to an Apache.

Also - I'd opt for 1k to 3k instead of 5k.

ok so the 1k to 5k is too much a jump, I was wondering about that.

as far as Jnats I am interested in them but a bit confused by their nomenclature. I've read a little about them, as far as levels and such, but not sure what exact quarries produce better stones for what purpose. or does it really matter as long as its a high grade (5+) and used with various nagura slurry stones.

Last edited:
A barber size JNat, a couple of Mikawa naguras, and a tomo nagura and you won't need the 5k.

Cheers, Steve

The more I'm reading on the Jnats, the more I'm liking this solution, however everything I'm finding says that the blade should be taken through ~8k before using the Jnat+naguras... so I don't think I'd be able to go straight from 1k bevel setting to the Jnat. thoughts on that?

The more I'm reading on the Jnats, the more I'm liking this solution, however everything I'm finding says that the blade should be taken through ~8k before using the Jnat+naguras... so I don't think I'd be able to go straight from 1k bevel setting to the Jnat. thoughts on that?

Simply not the case. Many of us, if not most, use a strictly Jnat progression after bevel setting. A few of the more glamorous, charismatic types on the board, you know the ones...they have supermodels on their arms and a demanding global travel schedule...also set the bevel with japanese natural stones.

I've actually found Jnats easier to use and more reliable than synthetic stones though this is by no means a majority opinion.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
yeah I've seen that site, but is he selling the naguras or just providing info? I'm looking at purchasing. I can find a few places that have various naguras, but not finding any with tomo naguras (at least not in stock)
I would advise sending Gamma a PM. Tell him what you're looking for specifically. He just might have exactly what you need.

Either Jnat or cuticle is probably your best bet. Either one is fine but I would lean towards a coticule if you have sensitive skin. If you already have the 5k it can be used behind the 1k it just takes longer. A friend sent me a 5K Shapton to use and it makes using a coticule behind it much simpler and quicker although there is a bit of difference in the way the edge feels compared to using slurry after a 1k to achieve the same edge.

How about a combo Naniwa 3k/8k? That would be a smaller step from your 1k, and the 8k would be a better stepping-stone on to a good finisher. For what it's worth, I use Naniwa 1k, 3k, 5k, 8k sequence before finishing (which these days is Naniwa 10k, 12k followed by a black Ark), and I find the smaller steps make it a much easier process.

Steve got me into Jnats and Jnat progressions. It has become my favorite finish. Here are the websites I visited when doing my shopping. Buca3152 is one I also talked to when looking into getting a mikawa 3 piece set.

Japanese Natural Stones Toishi

aframes tokyo index

Knives and Stones - Japanese chefs knife and sharpening stones

http://chefknivestogo.com

TheJapanStone Nakayama mine Okudo mine Ohira mine Ozuku kamisori

I'm not soliciting, just wanting to help you in your search since sometime its hard to know what you are looking for when you are new to Jnats. But tomonagura.com is also a great resource if you are trying to learn more on Jnats and their use.

Thanks everyone, lots of info to look over.

Right now I'm leaning toward a Jnat setup. but nothing is really off the table.

Top Bottom