What's new

3m lapping film

Hi
Gents,

Can anyone tell me from where I can buy some 3M lapping film in various grades. I think I will only need a couple of sheets of each. I live near London,UK.

Regards.

What grade of laping paper do you use on a straight razor? I have used this stuff for years to do fiber optic terminations and must honestly say I have never thought of using it on anything else. Sounds like a down right ingenious idea!

What grade of laping paper do you use on a straight razor? I have used this stuff for years to do fiber optic terminations and must honestly say I have never thought of using it on anything else. Sounds like a down right ingenious idea!

I use anything from 9 micron on down to 0.5 micron.

The diamond lapping films cut quick and last pretty long. I haven't tried the Aluminum Oxide lapping sheets. I imagine they work just as well, but don't last as long or cut as quick.

Try it! It puts a fantastic edge on a razor!:biggrin:

I just got some 3M Imperial Lapping Film, 3, 1 and 0.3 micron AlO.
Glued it on a hardened glass plate and tried honing an old Le Grelot with it.
Started out like on a strop, back leading but now I've found that I get o much better result edge leading.
How do "you guys" do it?

("Better" is scary sharp, it pass the HHT after 1 micron and 0.3 makes it scary)

I do it like on a regular hone: edge leading. Works like a charm!

Welcome to the wonderful world of lapping film!

Any good online retailers you folks know of? Seems quite a bit cheaper then buying an assortment of hones and everyone seems to get quite good results.

Ok!
I won't go down to 0,3 micron on my new Le Grelot anymore.
It seems like it can't decide if it's gonna stay on top of my skin or go under it,
but otherwise it shaves well.

I just got my sample pack in from Tools for Wood. I'm going to try this tonight. I have a vanity set i never put together that has glass shelves about 4" x 18". Thinking i can make it a 4 "step" hone..... Anyone tried such a thing? Seems to be long enough to get 2 different grits on each side.

I have not had much luck with my Col Conk hone that came with my set. Although, i have no idea what the grit is on it.

FYI - A neat link. Grit to micron conversion chart.....
http://www.facetingmachines.com/grit-mesh-micron.shtml

I just ordered 5 sheets of 1 micron with PSA. I cut glass, so I think I know where I will get some 8x3 pieces. BTW, I could cut and sell 8x3 pieces of laminated safety glass for 10 bucks each. I wonder if there would be a demand.

Top Bottom