What's new

Is the Clog Pruf really clog proof?

It seems widely accepted that the Micromatic Clog Pruf is named as a bit of a marketing gimmick. I agree with this for the most part. However, I've recently come across a shaving scenario where clogging can become an issue. I typically shave my head every 5-7 days, a task that has never been too big a challenge for my 1912 or G-Bar. After a bout with the flu late in the winter, I was unable to shave my head for 13 days, and neither of these razors were successful. That extra hair would get pushed inside the head of the 1912 rather than skirt through the combs, and the G-Bar clogged almost instantaneously right at the safety bar. Bummer.

So I picked up a MMCP and MMOC to do the Pepsi challenge in the category of clogging. I did 13 days of growth just like the previous instance. The MMOC clogged rather quickly, as the hairs could not pass through the teeth and got caught between the teeth and the blade. It was almost as bad as the G-Bar in this department. The MMCP can in fact be clogged, but it's the clear winner. Hair can get caught on that little bar in the center that connects the underside of the head to the safety bar. However, this only happens when you go a long time without a rinse, and it is much easier to dislodge than the jams that occurred in any of my other SE razors. I didn't even have to open the head to clean it out most times, but merely give it a rigorous shake under the tap. In addition, this little clog usually didn't stop the razor from cutting entirely, and I was actually able to keep shaving despite the clog at certain times.

On a separate note, both of these Micromatics were a revelation in terms of shaving my face, because they're the 2 most aggressive razors I've ever used. They felt almost equally aggressive, and both gave me a close shave with virtually no irritation thanks to the fact that I respected them so much.

So there you have it. For whatever it may be worth, I guess there is some small degree of merit to the Clog Pruf name, even if it's only for this niche purpose. I have to say, it's earned a permanent spot in my den rotation, which I keep limited to 8 razors max. I may reduce it to 6 in the near future, but the MMCP will not get the boot because it's a tool that I may need to reach for if the situation arrises.

Final fun fact: Both of these razors are scratched up, brassy, and cost me squat. The MMCP was $5, and the MMOC was $3!!

Its predecessor, the Micromatic (open comb) did not have drain holes and so could clog up. The Clog Pruf followed, featuring two large holes just underneath the blade edge to prevent that clogging issue.

Good on you for doing some proper testing with some good growth.

I like the Clog Pruf.

Hey, if you like that, look out for a Treet "1912" ... it's a mashup of the 1912, GEM Junior Parade and Clog Pruf. Think 1912 head with a Clog Pruf comb and holes up front.

Yeah, I am a also a fan of the "Clog-Pruf" and I like yourself feel its equally as aggressive as the Open Comb Micromatic.... Although I do find the Clog-Pruf to have a perfect balance of aggressiveness and smoothness compared to the OCMM and also find it to be rather more user friendly...

Interestingly, though, the OCMM was never advertised as an Open Comb.....It was simply advertised as the "GEM Micromatic Razor" ....The GEM advertisement goes on to say "With a Comb Guard" ...:blink:

The Clog-Pruf was advertised as the "Clog-Pruf Micromatic".....and the GEM advertisement goes on to say with a "Ribbed bar guard"....
I think that the "ribbed bar design" was an excellent innovation to the original Micromatic which other than the other small changes that Paul has mentioned its basically the exact same design....:001_cool:

One things for sure, the "Ribbed bar design" does "Tame the Beast" and I think that in 1941 that was GEMs Primary Intention whilst on the same year the Japanese were intent on waking up the "Sleeping Giant" when they attacked Pearl harbour.....:lol:

Billy

Last edited by a moderator:
The GEM advertisement goes on to say "With a Comb Guard" ...:blink:

Silly, right? It hardly guards anything. If you come close to touching the guard to your skin, then you're no doubt already bleeding. So perhaps, at best, it prevents fatalities. That and it prevents very long hairs from skirting away from the blade.

Top Bottom