What's new

Satin Tip "The Purest" Synthetic-Black Edition

I saw pictures of this brush popping up on Instagram recently and it peeked my interest. At $15 from straightrazors.com I decided to give it a try. I just got it yesterday so don't really have a lot to comment on at this point, but realized there is little to no information available online and I wanted to get a thread going so people can start adding some input.

I've only done 2 practice face lathers so far, the tips are soft and it whips up lather about the same as my Plisson and The Grooming Company brushes. It has noticeably more backbone/support than the Plisson but it lacks the excessive springiness of the TGC brush. The handle is nice and has some kind of rubberized coating that adds to the grip. Overall so far, as a face latherer I can say it is my favorite synthetic brush I've tried, definitely the coolest looking if nothing else.

Personally I still much prefer my Semogue 610 and 620 to anything else, but I will definitely be using the Satin Tip brush for travel occasions.

My digital calipers are not working right now so the best measurements I can give for the knot are about 52mm x 22-23mm. Here are a few comparison pictures to give a reference for brush's size.

Semogue 610, Plisson, Satin Tip, Omega 10066, Semogue 620

Last edited:
Wow. Super cool looking! Could you tell us more about how it compares to the plisson please!

Best I can describe it is the tips feel as soft as the Plisson tips, but the rest of the fiber body feels thicker and stiffer. This give it a more "supportive" feel during splay. When face lathering with the Plisson it feels like there is no resistance to stop it from spaying all the way to the handle. This one has more backbone when splayed, but it doesn't feel springy. That was my biggest gripe about the TGC synthetic, it had more backbone but it is so springy it is hard to keep splayed. The Purest is a nice balance between them.

It's still not a scrubby brush like a boar, which I personally like.

Nice lineup. Enjoy the new brush.

Thank you. The Plisson is on the chopping block now and the Omega is probably going to go to a PIF or part of a package in the GDF. Each one introduced me to the world of synthetics and boars respectively, but I've found replacements and I'm not the kind of guy that hangs on to a bunch of stuff I won't use. Plus my wife asks too many questions when she sees so many "duplicate" items, she doesn't understand they are all completely different brushes!

Thanks. I always have a terrible time distinguishing between navy and black. The crazy thing is that the bristles look black. The handle, in photo #2, looks perfectly blue.

I noticed it as well, I think it was the light exposure in the bathroom when I took the pictures. The handle is coated in a flat black rubberized material, so the texture and lighting are probably making it look blue in the pictures.

I noticed it as well, I think it was the light exposure in the bathroom when I took the pictures. The handle is coated in a flat black rubberized material, so the texture and lighting are probably making it look blue in the pictures.

Very cool looking brush. Unfortunately, I am well stocked with brushes. At moments like this, I hear the words of my father ringing in my ear: "Son, You Need That Like You Need a Hole in the Head." :w00t:

Enabling. Must. Stop. Can't. Resist. Pull. Towards. New. Object.

slaps face twice

There I feel better.

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!
proxy.php

.....bought one.......

marty

Top Bottom