What's new

Blades and Razor combination

I had tried about 6 different blades in my 2 razors. (a DE89Lbl and a 1960 Gillette Superspeed). I found the feather to be a little too aggressive and ended up settling on Lab Blues as they shaved close with little irritation. The other day I got a RazoRock TTO and have used it for 3 days. I had read that it is a more aggressive razor and that is true. I have some mild irritation and have even gotten a couple of minor nicks. Do any of you guys use a milder blade on some razors and a sharper on on others? I was thinking of trying the Derby's in this razor and work my way up to something in-between the Lab's and Derby. BTW other than that it is a good $20 razor. Heavy and solid with OK finish.

Certainly people have different favorite blades for different razor designs.

If you want to try something a little less sharp than the lab blues, and likely a bit more smooth; you should consider giving Astra SPs a try. I find them to be just as forgiving as Derby's but a bit smoother and sharper for me in most cases.

I used the Personna blue (mine are marked "Personna Super") and while they are excellent blades, I switched to the Gillette Silver Blue and haven't looked back.

I load them in a vintage Schick Krona (metal TTO knob version, not the plastic one), which produces an extremely smooth, clean shave for me. Whether this combo will give the same results to someone else, I don't know. Just a personal testimonial.

Check out tryablade.com. You can get as many or as few of as many different blades as you want. Good luck.

I tried the Derby's today and ended up with a few nicks so I'm guessing it's a technique problem. Probably pushing too hard. I'm going to use the super speed for the next week till I "heal" all my nicks and then try again very carefully.

I have found for the most part that aggressive razors + mild blades = great shaves. The reverse is also true, mild razors + aggressive blades work well also.

For example, Muhle R41 2011 works extremely well w/ Gillette Silver Blue or Israeli Red or Lab Blue; Lady Gillette works extremely well w/ Feather or Kai blades.

For most of my razors, I keep this in mind when pairing.

marty

Got to try a sampler pack. What will work for me may not work for you, and vice versa.

I would say try Astra SP next, followed by a few other blades in a sample pack.

I have a sampler with the following, derby, shark super chrome, Blue Bird, Gillette 7 oclock, Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue and Feather. I also have the Lab's. Tried them all in the DE89Lbl before settling on the lab's. Have only used the Labs in the Super Speed.

I recently bought a RazoRock TTO, and I thought the first shave was awesome...until the irritation and weepers set in, which is something I never experience. I tried a milder blade (Derby) in it for the next two shaves...same thing. First shave was with an Astra SP.

I have found that I get the best shaves from a light, mild razor (such as a Feather Popular) paired with a mild blade. I do have a heavy beard, and I realize this goes against conventional wisdom, but it works for me. With heavy razors, I tend to add pressure...and if the razor is more aggressive to boot, it doesn't work out well for me.

Top Bottom