What's new

TABAC 1st Use

Fragrance 10/10
Ease of Lather 10/10
Glide 10/10
Cushion 10/10

Lathered with a Simpson Commodore x3 Best

I can't believe I waited so long to try this soap. If you are on the fence go ahead and jump. SWMBO says it smells "clean" . I get clean, soapy with a touch of smoke and spice.

Glad you like it! Tabac is an awesome soap that I can always count on for a top notch lather, and a great scent. Their aftershave is great too!

What do you think about Tabac as a summer soap? I've read elsewhere on here that the scent might be better suited for winter.

I agree with the scent. It reminds me of a barbershop I used to go to as a boy. Great soap. Great scent. Great discovery for you good sir!

Does the soap smell just like the cologne? I'm not a fan of the cologne, but it's the only Tabac product scent I have access to.

What do you think about Tabac as a summer soap? I've read elsewhere on here that the scent might be better suited for winter.
I used to think that. I've been using it daily since September and have not noticed enjoying it any less with the warmer weather. We're getting 80s here now.

I just love the stuff! An earlier post asked if the shaving soap scent is like the cologne -- I think yes. I've read that the Tabac EdT has a slightly different scent from it's siblings, but the shaving soap/stick smells the same as the cologne -- only slightly milder.

I love using lots of different soaps and creams for shaving, and some of the newer artisinal soaps are wonderful, but I have to say that were I ever restricted to products of only one brand (heaven forbid) I'd choose Tabac -- no question.Their shaving cream in the tube is marvelous stuff too. Of course, the Tabac shaving soap is their crown jewel IMHO.

I'll bet some folks who don't like the cologne because it's so strong, might enjoy the soap with it's matching but less pronounced aroma.
:euro:

It's a terrific soap, superb performance. I enjoy the scent all year around, but i suppose it could be preferred by some during winter due to it's musky and smokey warm scent. But i like it during any season.

Tabac is in my top 3 all time favorite soaps. Aside from loving the scent, it's so easy to lather and slick that it's my goto soap when trying new hardware. Like a perfectly broken-in pair of shoes, Tabac never fails me.

I have a sample of this on the way. At first, I got it to fill out an order. But now, I'm really excited to try this classic!

How long do you fellas find the scent lingers? I love masculine scents, but not from them to hang around too long. I'll find out in a few days I guess!

Does the soap smell just like the cologne? I'm not a fan of the cologne, but it's the only Tabac product scent I have access to.
The soap and the cologne smell similar, but not identical ... each of the products in the Tabac range have their own individual aromas, but they're all built around the same components, just in different ratios.

Tabac's unique aroma has been discussed in many threads. Here's what it has to say about itself as far as fragrance:
http://www.tabac-original.com/index.php?id=79 (This page may appear in your browser in German. You're on your own to translate.)

Think of it like the individual instruments in a symphony orchestra. One at a time, they sound good. Put them all together, they make beautiful music.

Nothing goes better with Tabac except more Tabac ... I can't imagine following a Tabac shave with anything else besides Tabac ASL or ASB.
If you like the smell of the soap, go whole hog and get the rest of the products. ASL, ASB, EdC/EdT, bath soap, shampoo, deodorant, etc.

And I'm in the camp that reserves Tabac for the dead of winter. Its at its best when the outside temp is below freezing. I never use it if its above 40F. I've tried it a few times in summer and spring, and it just doesn't work for me. YMMV, of course.

I refurbish a lot of vintage razors and it is the soap I use when trying out a razor I have put back in use or a new blade (sometimes vintage blades) I haven't tried before. It is my baseline soap that I compare all others to when evaluating soaps. One of my favorites.

Top Bottom