What's new

School a fellow on DE Razors

Okay... I know this is far too in depth a topic to sum up so easily, but I am looking for a bit of initial guidance...

I am already a wet shaver and am comfortable using a straight razor, but lately I am finding there are many occasions I just don't have the necessary time to properly prep my straights and also while travelling, so I figured I would try my hand at DE safety razors. I bought a more cost effective Fendrihan branded DE to experiment with and while I am finding I am able to produce a decent enough shave for daily use, I feel it isn't quite as comfortable as I would prefer. I realize it is going to have a lot to do with my newbie like technique, but I notice the razor itself does not seem to be built very precisely and the blade itself does not seem to protrude quite evenly across its width, and this leaves me wondering whether or not moving up to a better quality razor (vintage or new) will improve my shave experience even more.

This leads to my question... I am not a cheap guy really and I do not mind spending a bit of extra money on quality, I do not prefer to waste money needlessly. If I wanted to spend under $100 (I am in Canada so that is like $70/$75 USD), what would be some good, forgiving options worth considering? Is it better to consider an adjustable razor or stay with a non-adjustable? As for the way the blade is held, is the standard type better or do the types that open from the top (butterfly?) do a better job at holding the blade? On a small, much more expensive note, in one of the local thrift stores, tucked in the back I see what is listed as a Gillette Fatboy that looks new in box with a pack of blades for $185.00. Is it worth the extra $85 buck and it would be smart to grab that? I know I work with vintage hand tools in woodworking, and with SR's, vintage is often better than the new stuff produced today. Again, I don't want to waste money, but I don't mind spending extra money well...

For new DE's, my bit of online research leads to reading a lot of like for the Merkur 34c, Edwin Jagger D89 and a few others. Is there certain characteristics that might make one more appealing than another? Does heavier or light make a difference other than a preference to feel in hand?

As for blades I am still going through testing the ones that have come in the variety pack I bought. So far I have tried the Merkur Super Platinum, Feather New Hi-Stainless Platinum and the Astra Superior Platinum. I thing the Astra's have been the most forgiving so far and provided the easiest shaves. Any thoughts on good blades to try for a newb or is it truly more of a trial and error and see what works for me?

Anything guidance you all can give me, or any questions I need to be asking that I am not, would be greatly appreciated!

Almost everything is going to be based on personal preferences, so I'll speak to mine:

My Merkur 34c was my first DE. It is still the one I compare all of my other razors to. A great shaver, nice weight, well made, and somewhere in the mild-moderate range in terms of aggressiveness. It fits your budget nicely.

With that said, I've used fifteen or twenty different vintage DE's, some great, some not so much. I'm not a huge fan of the adjustables for some reason (I've had four fat boys, and two slims), but as with everything else, some love them.

As for blades, depends a lot on your prep, and how coarse/thick your beard is. I've tried fifteen or twenty different blades, and have determined that the best for me (and for lots of others here it seems) are the Gillette 7 O'clock yellows, greens, blacks, and Gillette Silver Blues. Others work, but none seem to feel as good or as consistently predictable to me.

In my opinion, grab yourself a 34c and some Gillette blades. Keeps you within budget, and should be able to give you some great, consistent shaves. If you want something more aggressive, look to either a new or vintage open comb DE. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of overly aggressive DE's, but you may be.

Good afternoon sir, it sounds to me like ease of use and efficiency are what you are looking for. So I would recommend a 1940's style Gillette Super Speed. And they are not expensive. Try one, and you will be impressed. Good Luck in your search.

I believe there isn't a ''one size fits all'' straight, just like there isn't a DE that will work for everyone, and the only way to know what you like and what works for you, is experimenting with different types of razors.

Some guys prefer TTOs, others use 2 and 3-piece razors only, it's all about personal preference. I prefer OCs, but there's some excellent safety bar razors that I love as well.

IMHO, balance is more important than weight, I can get excellent shaves with a 50g Single Ring, as well as with a 112 R41 head on a stainless steel handle, but YMMV, as always.

I think Feathers are overrated, but that's just my personal opinion. I like Gillette Platinum, Polsilver SI, SuperMax Super Platinum, Gillette Stainless, and a few others that I use once in a while. Blades will also perform differently in different razors, so again - you need to experiment. Get a blade sampler from one of our vendors.

Under 75 USD, perhaps a Merkur Progress, a vintage Gillette NEW, or a nice Gillette Slim. There's many options out there.

Good luck.

I would recommend a '40's Superspeed, along with Gillette New and Old styles, and an early war Tech.

Try out several sample packs of blades, and record which ones you prefer, and how many shave you can get from each.

Hi,

Since you are coming from straight razors, I think of all the DE razors, the Gillette Old Type works as close to a straight as you can find.....

Stan

Since you are coming from the world of straights an injector might be what you are looking for. Over the years I have collected a modest amount of DEs and they shave well, but for ease I prefer injectors. The modern version of the injector is the Cobra or Mongoose. On the vintage side I like Schick adjustables. Vintage injectors are priced on the reasonable end and blades are available online and sometimes in local stores.

"For new DE's, my bit of online research leads to reading a lot of like for the Merkur 34c, Edwin Jagger D89 and a few others. Is there certain characteristics that might make one more appealing than another? Does heavier or light make a difference other than a preference to feel in hand? For new DE's, my bit of online research leads to reading a lot of like for the Merkur 34c, Edwin Jagger D89 and a few others. Is there certain characteristics that might make one more appealing than another? Does heavier or light make a difference other than a preference to feel in hand? "

Buy a Merkur 180 (23c) long handle to use when you can't use just a blade. The 180 is merkur's (fit's all) razor that does an excellent job whenever you shave with it. I like a bit of weight to my razor so I modified my 180 with a Weber handle (blem to save money) now I have a perfect razor for everyday. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Hello and welcome.

Save your $$. No need to spend anything close to $100 for a DE razor. Get a vintage Gillette Super Speed (fixed TTO) or Slim (adjustable). You can find them all day for $15-20 USD.

Your blade selection is fine, IMHO.

Lots of great replies and ideas! Finding good vintage where I am seems to be challenging to say the least. I am always a bit leary of trying to buy on e-bay as I have been bit a few times on various items. I am going to spend some time trying to find some options but in the end I may have to go new and find vintage as luck turns up.

I will check back in on this thread once I have something to report and let you know what route I go for my second DE razor. I can already see this becoming ANOTHER collection for my lovely wife to groan about! Haha!

Thanks all...

Bob

That Fatboy is definitely not worth $185, at least not to me it wouldn't be, and I like the Fatboy.

If I were you I would chase down a long-comb NEW. Put a Polsilver SI in it. Shave. Smile.

Just to get your started if you are weary of buying vintage you can go with a EJ DE89 or Merkur 34c like you mentioned, both are usually on Amazon for $30-$40 . The DE89 is a 3 piece and the 34c is a 2 piece; if you think you may want to swap handles go with a 3 piece.

Keep in mind, these razors are usually recommended as a first DE because they work for MOST people, they may not work for you. I too have found that I prefer open comb razors, but many of the more popular OC are too harsh for me to use for daily use. You may want to also look at the Merkur 41c or 15c, they are open comb but as mild as the DE89 IMO. I found I quite enjoyed my 41c as a daily shaver.

Maggard also offers some decent razors in the $20-$30 range that come with stainless steel handles. Down the road if you decide you want to invest more you can start looking at the stainless steel razors like ATT, Wolfman, Feather, etc., but you never really need a razor that much (even though I love my Wolfman and have no desire to purchase another razor now).

I'm not a huge fan of adjustables, although I own one. In practice I never adjust it, instead I just leave it at the same setting.

I tend to prefer three piece over the butterfly types. I had a butterfly come open on me once, the scar wasn't pretty, and took a few weeks to heal. That being said, I flat out love the shaves my BlackTip and my Schick Krona can deliver.

There's only two ways of going this thing...either find one razor and blade which satisfies you and stick with that...or, with the realization that YMMV, spend some coin and try out a lot of stuff. Compared to say, collecting motorcycles, firearms, or guitars, RAD and BAD are not especially expensive vices, however.

But this whole YMMV is SO true that this entire thing of reading reviews and asking over people's opinions on the gear...well, it's fun and interesting, but from a practical standpoint to an individual user, it's essentially useless. I can think of at least one brand of blade which gets NO love on there but which always delivers, to me, a great shave, and vice versa.

Hate to throw another option for you BUT :001_rolle
GEM open comb micromatic's were marketed toward people who used straights. It's a Single Edge razor not double edge (different blade). Some members on this site have called them straight razors on a stick. They are aggressive razors, and a light touch is needed but if you want that straight razor shave from a safety razor it might be what your looking for. They can be had off the "Bay" for less then $20 built like a tank (solid brass) I have three and not one is broke not even a tooth.
$OCMM (2).jpg

BUT if you really what a DE go for a "Tech" or "old Type" old type is more aggressive and more like a straight then a Tech.
Anyway good luck on your search!!

I am already a wet shaver and am comfortable using a straight razor, but lately I am finding there are many occasions I just don't have the necessary time to properly prep my straights...

There's probably something I'm missing, but why would using a straight with a disposable blade not work for such times?

Last edited by a moderator:

There's probably something I'm missing, but why would using a straight with a disposable blade not work for such times?

I think if I am being honest, it is just an excuse to experiment with something new and deep down inside I know I will use the experiment to collect more stuff as I am prone to do... lol!

Honestly though, as much as I enjoy the ritualistic approach to SR shaving, it is so far proving to be much speedier with a DE. I can shave comfortably with an SR yes, but I definitely take more time doing so, and a new skill is never a waste of time imho...

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom