What's new

Sharing a brush with someone else? Unhygienic?

Yes, it's disgusting. You better buy more brushes and more razors. If someone looks at my soap I need to buy another one. In fact when you all talk about soaps I buy another one. This is a gross habit we all have. Great, now I need to order another razor......

I don't think sharing a shave brush would be as bad as a toothbrush. It still uses soap on it and all. A shave brush is also used when people have showered so I don't think it's that bad once in a while.

It would just be a little weird to share with another dude who's unrelated

How is dragging a razor across your face and aggressively rubbing bristles of hair on it anything at all like touching dirty money? That is a ridiculous analogy.

I don't see any reason why this is worth doing. Safe or not, it is easier to just buy another brush.

Not ridiculous since we constantly touch our face, mouth and eyes throughout the day, I doubt we wash each time before touching those areas of our body.

Ok, who's going to be the first to make a TSA plate with their shave brush, toothbrush, and cell phone for comparison or do this.

I guess it's time to start using the UV sanitizing wand again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not ridiculous since we constantly touch our face, mouth and eyes throughout the day, I doubt we wash each time before touching those areas of our body.

None of those activities expose blood. Shaving does.

Also, none of those activities free as many dead skin cells as scrubbing your face with a brush. It's kind of like sharing a loofah with someone.

I'm surprised to see so many people say it is unsanitary to share a brush for a day. Most people shave right after a shower so your face is already clean before it gets used. On top of that it's loaded with soap and then washed immediately and dried. I really think this is a non issue, especially if you're talking about a one time use.

Too many Germophobes . Think about the everyday stuff that you handle or touch. Way more germs on the money in your pocket than whats on a soaped up brush. Unless the other person is known to have an infectious disease or condition it's a non-issue. That however is just my opinion. I take anti-rejection meds for a kidney transplant so my immune system is compromised to begin with.

The issue isn't the common cold germ, but nasty pathogens like HIV, Hep C, Mersa, etc... Most of us make multiple passes, so if you get a nick on pass one you are mixing raw blood into the brush on the next pass or two. You then pass the brush off to your buddy and he is applying your raw blood to his face. Now the soap should kill off most of the bad bugs fairly soon, but just saying.

Very few nasties can tolerate drying out so I have little issue with using a used brush from the bay or shop. A good washing and into use it goes.

When I first joined B&B the talk about buying anything used turned me off. Then I came around and bought, or were given, a couple of used products (brushes, aftershaves, creams). Now I'm about to buy a couple tubs of used soap and I'll try hard not to think about what possible germs the seller might have had when I lather those.

None of those activities expose blood. Shaving does.

Also, none of those activities free as many dead skin cells as scrubbing your face with a brush. It's kind of like sharing a loofah with someone.

No telling what kind of bacteria you come in contact with during the day, blood spots and other nasties aren't always visible to the eye. If someone nicked themselves during a shave, or have a discomfort to share the brush, was why I recommended a quick cleaning in my first post...

The issue isn't the common cold germ, but nasty pathogens like HIV, Hep C, Mersa, etc... Most of us make multiple passes, so if you get a nick on pass one you are mixing raw blood into the brush on the next pass or two. You then pass the brush off to your buddy and he is applying your raw blood to his face. Now the soap should kill off most of the bad bugs fairly soon, but just saying.

Very few nasties can tolerate drying out so I have little issue with using a used brush from the bay or shop. A good washing and into use it goes.

This ^^^

I'm not a germaphobe so I would share the brush or razor with my wife, no hesitation...we share everything else. I'd offer to share with a close friend if for some reason they were in need; however I'm not sure how that situation would even arise. My friends would simply not shave or go to the store for a can of cream/gel/cartridge razor/whatever. If I did share, I'd want to clean it afterward.

If/When I buy a used brush or razor, you can bet that I'll be cleaning that stuff very well. Dead or alive, I dont want a stranger's blood cells mixing with mine.

Are we talking about borrowing someone else's brush to shave with, or actually sharing a brush as in shaving at the same time? How is borrowing someone else's brush for use any different than purchasing a used brush?

No telling what kind of bacteria you come in contact with during the day, blood spots and other nasties aren't always visible to the eye. If someone nicked themselves during a shave, or have a discomfort to share the brush, was why I recommended a quick cleaning in my first post...

I know for a fact that no bacteria from other people is getting rubbed into my cut skin, unless it is coming from my towel.

Are we talking about borrowing someone else's brush to shave with, or actually sharing a brush as in shaving at the same time? How is borrowing someone else's brush for use any different than purchasing a used brush?

Good question, that is not clear in the original post. As to your 2nd question, I see no difference between sharing and buying. Before using them, I didn't even treat the used brushes I bought because I have a reasonable idea that the original owner employs good hygiene. For that matter I don't clean any of the new brushes I've bought and have never seen the need to.

I just happened to stumble upon this article. Someone needs to tell these yahoos that they are nasty and possibly spreading communicable diseases haha :lol:

http://sharpologist.com/2014/05/synthetic-fiber-shave-brush-trends.html

"The group decided to conduct a testing program during the Spring of 2012. We purchased brushes and swapped them back and forth amongst ourselves. In all, we tested 19 different synthetic brushes from nine manufacturers. We did not attempt an exhaustive testing program for every available synthetic brush since that was not necessary to meet our project objectives."

Top Bottom