What's new

Strop for Razor Blades, how is it used?

Hi all,

I have this strop (it says Strop for Razor Blades, size 7 1/2" by 1 2/8") one side is with the Russian Leather (Juchten) and on the opposite site is just wood with kind of wax. There is also a kind of red plastic it smells like plastic if heated, but I can't put in on the wooden side and I don't know if it is for the stop or for something else. There is also a grey peace like a mine of a pencil, for what is this for?
Also there is a honing stone size (4" x 3/8", 10cm x 1cm x 1cm) but I am not sure if it can be used to sharpen a straight razor.
So question is, is this strop for razor blades of a double site safety razor but it can be also used for straight razor?
For what are the red and grey prices used for?

Any help will be appreciated.

. $IMG_2013.jpg$IMG_2014.jpg$IMG_2015.jpg$IMG_2016.jpg$IMG_2017.jpg

The red is Feox based stroping compound , very stiff . Put it in a box with a gasoline or cerosene and will soften . The gray is grapfite for the leather part of the padle , and the red must be loaded to the wood part that has been cut for better paste / red paste / retention .
The idea is to hone the razor on a stone / coticule / go to the wood side with the red paste first and at the end the leather side with the graphite .
Enjoy your padle .

Thanks a lot for the nice description, so what is now better to use Feox just on wood or the fedox as a pulver mixed with oil and couting the leather which is glued to a peace of wood?
The first time I heard that graphit is used on leather, why it is not used these days?
Did you here that flat lead is used instead of wood with the fedox as a pulver with liquid on the lead surface?

I would use it for display. I don't think you will find it effective on DE or SE blades. Plus, now DE blades are so cheap that it is not worth trying to sharpen them.

This piece harks back to a time when razors used more rigid, non-disposable wedge-shaped blades.

Top Bottom