What's new

Old family .30-30.

I know how everybody likes a feel good story so here’s mine. My wife has been doing a fair bit of genealogy and discovered her family had lived in a town about 50 miles away. We have made about 4 visits to the town, cleaned and photographed family headstones and ate lunch at the only tavern in town. Turns out one old timer knew my wife’s grandmother. Story goes that she had bought a Winchester .30-30, used it for a few years then sold it to the old timer we were talking with! On the trip home my wife commented a few times about how cool it would be to have grandma’s rifle. A few months have passed and her birthday is in 2 days and I have made many, many phone calls. Yes you guessed it, I was able to obtain the .30-30 from the old timer’s son in law just the other day, just in time to wrap it up for her birthday. The serial number dates it to around 1946, Winchester lost a few years worth of records during WW2 so that’s the closest I can come up with. I think it’s gonna be a good birthday Thursday.
$30-30.jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It's going to be a good birthday for the both of you! :thumbup:

Very cool story. Thanks for sharing

Awesome gift, and great story. Nice to have it back in the family.

I think if you look back, most families have a Model 94 30-30 somewhere in their history. I'll one day inherit my father's from him, and I'm currently in possession of my grandfather-in-law's '56 Model 94 chambered in .32win. Truly great rifles.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Very nice story, Chris. That's a thoughtful gift. And, a great heirloom. I'm sure your wife will be delighted to receive it. :thumbup1:

She was truly suprised, I scored some major husband points for sure. It is still leaning against her nightstand.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Very cool. My aunt has my grandmother's old 94, from 1949. They're great guns. My own isn't even 10 years old. It's nice, and I love it, but it doesn't quite have the aura that those old-timers have.

Top Bottom