What's new

Indulgence of the Night - May 08

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

Homemade pizza from scratch. Dough and sauce also from scratch. Coupled it with a few bottles of Fat Tire.

Van Winkle Family Reserve 20
George T. Stagg - Fall 2005
Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength
Wild Turkey Rare Breed

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Nothing planned for dinner, but had a nice post cinco de mayo breakfast- Jewish sushi!

The missus brought home a giant slab of salmon, so I cured up a load of gravlax (unsmoked lox, but the smoke flavor in almost all lox is so weak, it's not necessary).

1 side of salmon, skin on
rub your hand over the flesh to find any pin bones, and remove
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup white sugar
2T white peppercorns, ground
mess o' dill
a few sprigs of thyme and rosemary, optional

Mix the salt, pepper, and sugar, and cover salmon liberally on both sides and ends. Cover flesh side with herbs. Place in large zip lock bag and seal (you may want to place this into a second bag, for safety's sake). Place bag o' salmon between two suitably sized baking pans (a half sheet pan usually fits a side), place in fridge, and cover with anything heavy. Cure for ~36 hours, flipping salmon every 8-12 hours or so. My wife prefers a longer cure (go figure) but too long toughens the flesh. Figure a max of 48-72 hours.

Remove from bag and place salmon in a pure, cool, rolling stream while nubile supermodels frolic naked in the water. Alternatively, rinse in sink under cold running water to remove exterior salt (but it won't taste the same- sorry). Pat dry. Slice as thin as you can with a slicer, sujihiki, yanagi, or fugubiki, and enjoy, while saving $30 a pound.

Nothing planned for dinner, but had a nice post cinco de mayo breakfast- Jewish sushi!

The missus brought home a giant slab of salmon, so I cured up a load of gravlax (unsmoked lox, but the smoke flavor in almost all lox is so weak, it's not necessary).

1 side of salmon, skin on
rub your hand over the flesh to find any pin bones, and remove
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup white sugar
2T white peppercorns, ground
mess o' dill
a few sprigs of thyme and rosemary, optional

Mix the salt, pepper, and sugar, and cover salmon liberally on both sides and ends. Cover flesh side with herbs. Place in large zip lock bag and seal (you may want to place this into a second bag, for safety's sake). Place bag o' salmon between two suitably sized baking pans (a half sheet pan usually fits a side), place in fridge, and cover with anything heavy. Cure for ~36 hours, flipping salmon every 8-12 hours or so. My wife prefers a longer cure (go figure) but too long toughens the flesh. Figure a max of 48-72 hours.

Remove from bag and place salmon in a pure, cool, rolling stream while nubile supermodels frolic naked in the water. Alternatively, rinse in sink under cold running water to remove exterior salt (but it won't taste the same- sorry). Pat dry. Slice as thin as you can with a slicer, sujihiki, yanagi, or fugubiki, and enjoy, while saving $30 a pound.
I want to know how to do that.

Roasted acorn squash soup.
Moule Frites.
Vino Bianco.
A San Cristobal De La Habana El Principe.
= happy

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Wednesday Night with friends:

1991 Spotteswood Cabernet
1997 Simi Reserve Cabernet
Bruichladdich 15 year old.

Dinner party with friends last night:

COCKTAILS AT THE BAR: various requests

Dirty Vodka Martini
Vodka Gimlet
Cosmopolitans for the some of the ladies ( I used freshly squeezed lime juice. About 20 or so limes made about 5 oz of juice. I kept thinking about QED Fresh Limes :rolleyes:)
Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio
Johnnie Gold - I know, I know. Shocking. :biggrin:

DINNER: Surf & Turf

Filet Mignon on the grill
Soft Shell Crabs sauteed in butter and garlic, drizzled with lemon and a touch of Old Bay :001_tt1:
Field Greens Salad
Corn Pudding
Asparagus
2001 Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cabernet - for the turf
2005 Gary Farrell Pinot Noir Russian River Valley - for the surf

AFTER DINNER:

Freshly baked chocolate chip cookies
Inniskillen Ice Wine - Riesling

BACK TO THE BAR:

Some Johnnie Gold from out of the freezer, neat.

GOOD NIGHT and don't let the door hit you in the a@# on the way out. :biggrin:

Last night we had the grill on in the garden, lots of friends and lots of food:

Charcoal made by me in my charcoal kiln
Chicken in chili sauce
Home made pork and sage sausages
Home made aberdeen angus burgers with goats cheese
Grilled haloumi cheese with chopped chili
Lots and lots of different salads and home made seeded breads

4 Cases of peroni lager
1 case of corona
A few fingers of auchentoshan 3 wood

I really love it when the sun comes out and the evenings get longer :biggrin:

Always a useful skill ouch! I'm just a conservation student with an interest in sustainable resources and a lil too much time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom