What's new

Say goodbye to the M9!

BTW...If your a non-American reading this, 9mm v .45 is a thing. I've seen fist fights break out over this! Full disclosure I'm a .45 guy. I wasn't trying to start an argument though.

Will be debated til the end of time. I am a .45 and 9mm guy. I have no use for the snap of a .40. 9mm doesn't feel like a whole lot of recoil and the .45 feels more like a push to me rather than a snap.

$6ffe509743b8afc91921cd11a3e8af45.jpg

Hit the vitals. Although I like the 10mm nuclear option!

Never thought I would see a caliber war on this forum, but there's always a first.

I think the whole 45 is better than 40 which is better than 9 which is better than 38 which is better than 380 is pure poppycock. All handgun calibers have their limitations. Want something better than a handgun than carry a rifle or shotgun.

Don't rely on your guns capacity or bullet size. Put the bullet where it's supposed to go and it will do the job.

Never thought I would see a caliber war on this forum, but there's always a first.

Snip.

The conversation will always be here, as I posted above- but any of the behaviors that permeates some of the other firearm fora will never be on our B&B. Our TOU and community standards trump any one members access to this particular forum.
Just a friendly word of advice to our fine members.

I think the whole 45 is better than 40 which is better than 9 which is better than 38 which is better than 380 is pure poppycock. All handgun calibers have their limitations. Want something better than a handgun than carry a rifle or shotgun.

Don't rely on your guns capacity or bullet size. Put the bullet where it's supposed to go and it will do the job.

http://www.usacarry.com/why-agencies-switching-9mm/

I'm not saying I agree with everything the article is saying, just that there are agencies that are switching back to 9mm.

+1 :laugh:

I also am surprised that a caliber debate would crop up in this forum specifically. Handgun and caliber selection are so much like shaving kit selection... Where do you live, what is available, what kind of water are you using, what are you shaving, etc etc. Military fan boys/mall ninjas or what have you will always have their favorites, but most experienced and pragmatic shooters know that just like shaving, shooting is a toolbox, you use the tool for the job. Of course the majority of the military, limited to FMJ or ball ammo, would like to have larger rounds for more stopping power. As civilians, however, most of us have a choice on platform and caliber, ammo composition and design, and possibly method of carry. What it really comes down to is... What platform/caliber combination enables you to put rounds on target in as expedient a manner as possible to eliminate the threat? This, like shaving, is absolutely subjective. Anything else is superfluous, and if it's not to you, well...

The caliber debate ........ Pistols aren't carried for stopping power, even the venerable 45, they're carried because they're compact and convenient. The pistol you have on you is the best caliber there is, and you fire enough rounds to stop the target. Pistols are for fighting your way to long guns or the hell out of the situation. The old notion of the "one shot stop" is complete BS. One of my sergeants put a 12ga rifled slug through a bad guys chest, bad guy is still alive. There's a guy sitting in my jail who was shot 12 times in the chest with 40 s&w by the police, still alive. People don't just go down when they're shot like they do in Hollywood. Carry whatever makes you feel comfortable, it's all pretty much the same as long as you can actually hit your target. And I agree that the military will do whatever they think is cheapest, not what's best for our soldiers.

Wow, I can't believe I just participated in the old caliber debate on a shaving forum...

Last edited by a moderator:
dadgum, and here I thought 10mm was just a little bigger than 9mm. :blink:

The diameter of the bullet is only a little wider, but it is certainly much more powerful. My brother-in-law has a Glock in 10mm and uses full power rounds (not FBI loads, which are basically the same as .40 S&W) and they definitely do some damage. Its got some kick to it, but it really is a lot of fun to shoot.

Just a note to the newer members here- the BS that goes on elsewhere on the internet is not happening here- you can be 100% right but the guy who is 100% wrong is entitled to his opine just like you. If my post makes no sense its because I removed several posts already and edited a few more. It will not continue down this path.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Personally, I prefer the .357 magnum. More power, reliability, and accuracy. :lol:

Of course, that has NOTHING to do with the M9 -- a pistol that had the absolute WORST ergonomics of anything that I ever shot -- even worse than the tiny little Ruger Bearcat.

The 10mm and the 40 S&W are the same caliber just the 10mm has a lot more powder and a longer casing. I want to say that the 40 S&W is a cut down 10mm to mitigate the recoil of the beastly 10. Kinda like the 9mm, 380acp, 38 special, and 357 magnum are all .38 caliber just with more or less umph. I'm curious to see what gun and cartridge the military ultimately goes with.

.45 all the way. John Moses Browning was a genius. The Ma Deuce is still in service and can't be improved upon, 1911, M1919 machine gun, potato digger before that, BAR, Hi-Power, the list goes on.
+1

Oh god...what did I just start... For the record though us .45 guys were completely perplexed over the 9mm sales pitch. More ammo capacity better accuracy but you gotta shot your guy 3 times!
I believe it was Col. Jeff Cooper who said that "high capacity was really good if you intended to miss a lot!"

I never liked the M-9, it just never felt right , but a Hi-Power is a sweet one for me.
My Hi-Power may be the most comfortable pistol I've ever held. I still prefer a pistol in 45ACP though.

Military has to use full metal jacket no hollow point allowed Geneva Convention
Agree - a 9mm to someone coming at you drugged or fueled with rage from adrenaline will act like a zombie and keep coming. A .40 or .45 hollow point will put them on the ground.

.45 guy here. When I get the chance I rent a desert eagle and wish I could choke down the $1-2 a round costs.

I have no dog in the calibre fight (mostly because I'm really only a C&R guy with my handguns and I have 30 calibre, 9mm, and .455) but I wonder if that means, as the M9s are phased out, they'll be released for sale to the civilian market as a way to recoup some of the money if they do go to a new pistol.

I believe the .40 cal is a shortened version of the 10mm.

That's pretty much about it. When S&W was playing around with the 10mm "FBI Loads" - which are a reduced power load, not fully realizing the potential of the 10mm round - they realized that the reduced amount of powder could fit into a much shorter case. So they were able to cut enough off the case to effectively make the finished round the same length as a 9mm, which could be fired from guns with a smaller frame. Kind of like how some people call the .380ACP the 9mm "short", you will hear some older guys call the .40S&W the 10mm "short" (and in some cases they say the the "S&W" after ".40" stands for "short and weak").

So, what was basically accomplished was a round that could fit into smaller framed guns with identical ballistic performance to the reduced power 10mm "FBI loads". If you've ever shot a full-power 10mm load then you'll know that the recoil is pretty stout - especially from the lighter polymer frames such as Glocks. But, IMHO, it really isn't that much different than shooting a .40S&W from a pistol that is even lighter.

Top Bottom