What's new

Is it a requirement to receive a huge slice at some point?

All,

Just wanted to check in with you all. Finally got my first straight razor last Friday afternoon from whipped dog and I've had three shaves with it (if you want to call them that). Basically, so far I've shaved my cheeks multiple times per shave on each side WTG, worked my neck WTG on both sides, and on shave three did my chin some. So far? No cuts during any of the shaves. Obviously, I haven't given this the full Monty but I'm already slowly feeling more comfortable with the razor day by day.

I guess I feel like I'm waiting for the big one to occur and so far, I've done OK. Now granted, the areas I'm shaving, it seems like nothing is happening, hardly any stubble is being removed WTG but some, once I actually made the angle I was using one spine steeper than where I started. I'm just trying to make sure I use light pressure, keep my blade about two spines away from my skin, and work in areas that I feel comfortable in. The blade hasn't made me feel like it is going to slice away at me yet though, which is scary since I keep hearing that HAS to happen.

I told my dad about my venture into straights and all he could do was ridicule me for starting with straight razors because his granddaddy got "sliced" all the time and ended up moving onto single edged razors and quit the straight razor shaves altogether. In addition, I've seen many threads with people that had HUGE slices and cuts on their face and I'm just curious if any of you were able to get to a point of shaving consistently without having to endure these "slices" that everyone speaks of.

I did so well with the double edge razor shaving without getting huge cuts, or even hardly any irritation before I started getting BBS shaves so I guess I thought perhaps I could be somewhat of a natural at this too, although the learning curve is huge and it takes much more skill and coordination.

Am I eventually going to need stitches doing this? My wife is a nurse so I've had her watch my first couple shaves just in case!!!!!! =D

I got my worst slices after I had been using straights for a while and got a little careless. In the beginning I treated them like a lethal weapon and was pretty careful and mindful of what I was doing. After a while when it's second nature maybe you start daydreaming a little or planning your day and slice!
Had some pretty good bleeders but never stitches:)

So no, you never have to cut yourself but if you take it for granted that you won't then you probably will.

From what I can tell it must be a "rite of passage" and pretty much happens to all of us at some point.
I agree with otto 76 about it happening when you get a little too comfortable.
I never got anything that a tissue and a little alum could't handle....but I'm far from being done yet!

Pete <:-}

yes, a slice will happen inevitably.
for me, it came via a defective Thiers Issard straight razor.
I kept getting nasty slices in same place each shave.
Finally figured out that the toe of the blade came nicked from the factory.
One of the master honemeisters here did a superb job to re-shape and mute it, and now it's a great shaver!
Good luck and happy shaving!!

$crown wing tip.jpg

Nice well I suppose I'm dreading the reaction to it more than I'm dreading the cut itself. I will have to stay away from my pops until it heals otherwise I'll get to hear I told you so's till the freaking cows come home not to mention the reaction from coworkers. Oh well I knew all that when I started this I reckon. I'll be on guard for the finger of Freddy and try to avoid it best I can.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Well, it's not actually required, but getting one will remind that it's still a sharp thingy! Mine did that to me on the weekend. :facep:

I am 46 shaves in and I am currently sporting two slice marks on the left cheek and one on the right....all at different stages of healing....fortunately it has been a couple of weeks since my last one but I know it can happen at any time.

I agree with the others...my cuts came when I wasn't fully focused, being too hesitant, or over confident....actually one of my nice ones came when I wasn't actually putting the razor on my face, it came when I adjusted my grip with the blade too close to my face and before I knew it i was bleeding! It really does happen that fast. Now I haven't needed stitches yet :thumbup1: and I am becoming more comfortable with the razor every day.

It will happen, but it won't be as bad as you think.

Edit:
posting on another thread...I realized that most of my cuts came with my left hand...and now I feel much more comfortable with my off hand than I did before.

Last edited:
I've yet to slice myself. I'm only 30 or so shaves in but I take my time. I only use my straights when I know I can spare the extra time needed.

Early on I got a tasty cut on the lip (I now do XTG on the upper lip going OUTWARDS, not inwards!) and just yesterday I got a lovely slice on the cheek (from XTG, again) - it's not a must, but it is likely to happen. If it's happening often, you have issues, but I think that the rare nick now and then is par for the course. If it is "chunks" then you really need to go back to basics.

I wonder for the guys back in the day that used these things daily, were they concerned with getting BBS shave with these straight razors? Or perhaps they just wanted a clean shave? Maybe they didn't push it?

I'm wondering if I can just accept a CCS with a straight razor and get a BBS with a DE because I'm not sure I want to do three or four passes with a sharp knife pressed against my face. Maybe I can just do two nice passes how I feel comfortable and call it a day. Anyhow perhaps my confidence will be gained in time for those extra passes and I can one day get a great shave like you guys who are doing so well with this.

It takes practice and time, and yeah some type of slice is likely. But usually not life threatening, so there's that.

Cant go too slow or too fast, find the happy medium.

Oh yeah. I took a good inch slice in to my lower jaw line R/H side. It bled on and off for days. But since it was a clean cut it healed in around 4 weeks which for me aint bad. I still flit between SR, SE and DE razors to good effect. do get better shaves with my collection of Weck razors.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Is it a requirement to receive a huge slice at some point?

I believe you agreed to this when you signed up. It's in our terms of service.

I have been shaving with a straight for a year and have never sliced myself (knock on wood). I have cut a skin tag, but I have done that with a DE too. In fact I think I have cut myself more with a DE than a straight.

My worst slices now come from my "safety" razor when I shave my dome. Only nicks and weepers with the Straight edge, so far.

My worst came from a disposable Schick.

I agree with the posts regarding the likelihood of cuts when one is not focused. I'm a morning shaver. If I'm running late or I'm thinking about all that's on my plate for the day, I use a DE. I use straights (shavette or real deal) exclusively on weekends when I can take time and get in the zone. I'll use a straight on weekdays only when I have time and can focus.

Well at least a few of you have been fortunate enough not to get a huge one with makes me feel relieved somewhat. I'm sure if and when this all becomes second nature I'll be thinking about how delicious dinner is going to be and hack myself open. Thanks for all the info we shall see how this all goes.

It is definitely different I must say, I went back and shaved with a DE last night to clean up after my straight shave (or lack thereof) and had a perfect shave while my head was in the cosmos and that will not happen with a straight razor ever that I can imagine. I'm trying to be more like you guys that have been at this for a while and be more patient but I'm typically not a patient person so this is all going to be a challenge. I did get some nasty razor burn when I tried my lip for the first time last night and I just could not cut off any stubble there yet so I quit and used the DE.

One thing I will add is that skin-stretching is important - not only does it help reduce the chances of cutting, but it also means that if you do cut yourself that the natural position of the skin is to close up the cut somewhat.

I haven't sliced and diced myself, that much, and I still have both my ears.
From what I find, is that the most nicks I gave myself shaving were from being (or feeling rushed), which led to sloppy work -especially when setting the razor against the skin. Other than that, keep focussed on what you are doing: That moment when you shave XTG following your jawbone with a backwards movement and you think: did I just see my earlobe move? Is one of those moments when you should have been focused on shaving.
But, in earnest, I haven't cut myself that often and never "that" bad. My greatest worry is not cutting my self whilst shaving, but dropping the razor and cutting myself because I tried to prevent the blade from hitting the ground.

So, my advice: practise, keep your attention on shaving and never hurry or rush things.

Top Bottom