What's new

Returning to DE shaving after 35+ years - and enjoying it!

Hi, I'm from Minnesota, and this is my first post on Badger and Blade.

When I started shaving nearly 40 years ago I used a safety razor (don't remember what kind). I had no clue what I was doing -- and I would cut myself all the time, with blood frequently turning the color of some of the shaving cream on my face from white to pink to red!

So I gave up on the safety razor and started using the Trac II and Atra cartridges, which were more forgiving of my incompetence. Then to save time from the "chore" of shaving I switched to an electric and used electrics for years.

My electrics wore out, so I tried out the 3 and 4 blade wonders rather than pay $45 for a new Norelco razor. The Schick Quattro became my new favorite. I could carelessly shave in the shower pretty quickly and get a good shave. However, I didn't like the price for the Schick Quattros so when I learned about Harry's, I bought a starter pack. Not as good a shave as a Quattro, but somewhat cheaper (not a lot, though, because they don't last as long as a Quattro for me).

In the process of reading reviews about Harry's I came across Badger & Blade, and learned that using a safety razor could be cheaper and as effective as cartridges. So when it came time to plunk down another $25 for some replacement cartridges, I decided instead to try out a safety razor. I called up West Coast Shaving, asked for their recommendation, and bought an Edwin Jagger DE87 razor, a sample pack of blades, an Omega 10066 brush, some Haslinger Schafsmilch soap, and some Proraso pre-shave cream. I like all of the products they recommended.

It's now been a month since I started. I shave every day. Most days I get a very close shave, sometimes BBS, often with no cuts or nicks, and I rarely get razor burn. What used to be a chore has turned into a fun ritual, and my wife enjoys the result.

Here's what I have found thus far (none of this is anything new of course).

1) Beard preparation is key. I have had rough shaves when I've skipped this step, or rush through it.

2) Rushing the shave in general increases the chance that my shave will be sub-par.

3) Most blades work fine as long as my face and beard are prepared. While I like some blades better than others (Crystals are my favorite thus far), all of the ones in the sample pack (Derby, Red Personna, Astra, Crystal) have worked for me. I've been too chicken thus far to use the Feathers. I also got some Lab Blues and some Dorco blades from tryablade and will give those a shot.

4) Cremo shave cream really does work. I recently bought some at the local Walgreens, and I was astonished how good it was. Perhaps it's not as fun as lathering up with soap and a brush, but it is very effective stuff. And it's quick and convenient.

5) One person on Badger & Blade suggested the image of scraping paint for the proper (shallow) angle for the blade against the skin. I've found that imagery to be helpful in maintaining a good blade angle.

6) Although I decided to try using a safety razor in part to save money, I am far from convinced that I will end up saving much money with DE shaving as I tinker around with different soaps, razors, etc. I've already bought a cheap Gillette razor from India, and have a Feather Popular and a vintage Lady Gillette coming in the mail.

7) I don't think that the safety razor gives me a closer, better shave than a Schick Quattro. I tried using a new Quattro a few days ago and I found it gives me a close, quick, easy shave. But the safety razor is more fun! So that's what I am using and what I will continue to use.

The information on B & B has been really helpful to me and I look forward to being part of the forum. Thanks for reading.

Welcome!!!
You are off to a great start!!
Better than my start, but in my defense I had never used a DE before.
It is very fun!!! I like the challenge.
Cheaper.... It can be. For me its become a hobby so I don't try and save.
My favorites are the vintage razors, but I do love my EJ as well.
You have gotten a lot of great knowledge already, and you found the perfect place for more!!
Just ask away, and you will have more than enough help from the fine gentleman on this forum.
Keep us posted on how things are going!!!:thumbup1:

I just came back to real shaving after 45 years. They say it's just like riding a bicycle again. They're right.....I ended up bloody and bruised....LOL

Welcome to B&B, and back to wet shaving! It sounds like you picked up right where you left it, and are progressing nicely. It is true, we are all here to save money :001_rolle :lol:

Thanks everybody for the welcome. Tried out a Dorco blade tonight with Cremo shave cream -- the Dorco gave me a good shave, though maybe not as good as the Crystals. But some of that might be in my head.

Will continue to work on my technique, and hope to continue to learn from people on this forum.

Thanks everybody for the welcome. Tried out a Dorco blade tonight with Cremo shave cream -- the Dorco gave me a good shave, though maybe not as good as the Crystals. But some of that might be in my head.

Will continue to work on my technique, and hope to continue to learn from people on this forum.

Once you master technique you will get closer shaves even better than your Quattro.

Top Bottom