What's new

Erasmic tallow vs. Erasmic veg.

I have been using a stick of vintage Erasmic tallow,and sadly,it is a very underperforming soap for me.The lather seems to gather fairly well,but it really dissipates rapidly.There is little to no protection with this formula.It is the same formula as the tallow stick that followed this one in the black box .The formula for the Erasmic Supreme stick is the same as the current tub,and both are 75 grams and non tallow.The Supreme produces rich ,thick abundant lather,as does the tub.The red box tallow stick was produced by Amber House ,the current Erasmic is a Keystone product.

Attachments

• $IMG_0003.jpg
    $IMG_0003.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 186
  • $IMG_0002.jpg
    $IMG_0002.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 188
  • $IMG_0004.jpg
    $IMG_0004.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 187
  • $IMG_0006.jpg
    $IMG_0006.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 184
Of note,the Erasmic line goes back to the 1800's,and many different metal tins were offered for several decades..

Attachments

• $IMG_0007.jpg
    $IMG_0007.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 185
  • $IMG_0008.jpg
    $IMG_0008.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 184
  • $IMG_0009.jpg
    $IMG_0009.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 182
Too bad: my older vintage stick was excellent stuff. Great holder too: I am now using it with a Valobra stick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the red box is current production and not vintage. It appears to have the current UK/EU labeling marks on the package that my older black box tallow stick does not. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I too have had ups and downs with Erasmic sticks. My old foil wrapped sticks were descent performers. The veg/palm black box version with wax paper wrapping was the worst it simply would not lather for me.

Here is an old comparison thread of the black box versions.

I never tried the "reformulated" tallow black box version that came after the chalky veg black box version. I also never had a chance to try Supreme as I could never find it for sale, but I do love the look of the packaging.

Side note, Amber house does list Erasmic as one of the brands which it distributes.

http://www.amberhouseltd.co.uk/brands/

Some comparison photos I just took.
$esmc1.jpg

$esmc2.jpg

$esmc3.jpg

This image is my lather from the old foil wrapped tallow formulation stick.
$eramataz1.1.jpg

Of all the Erasmic products I've tried my favorite has to be the Jordanian made cream. I love the old time scent and the performance is great. I have not tried the current version.

$erasmictube.jpg

$erasmicing.jpg

I also had a couple tubes with different packaging. I'm not sure if these came before or after the one shown above.

$er.jpg

$erasmicJ[1].jpg

The only Erasmic product I've tried was the refomulated Tallow stick of a few years ago. It was chalky and crumbly; couldn't get a lather going, it was even worse than modern Williams. Its ashame because I liked the scent and heard good things about the older versions.

I've tried the modern Erasmic sticks, and they are uniformly awful. The thing is, pre-reformulation it was a fine performer. I'm down to half a stick of the old stuff, and save it for special occasions :)

Where can you purchase the Erasmus Supreme stick? I get the typical lousy results with the current, widely available stick (which I now only use for head shaving: it does fine for that).

P.S. To malocchio: My son has been doing biodiversity research re Kili.

So let me get this right then, the new stuff produced and shipped by amber house is rubbish. That includes the new stick and bowl. The cream I must say isn't to my liking either. I just need to clarify as I've got a bowl of the older keyline brand back bowl soap and it works very well.

Does anyone of you guys know a place where we can buy erasmic supreme stick online?
I am also curious which bowl is the "good" one ,the new red or the black one?Thanks anyway!

Where can you purchase the Erasmus Supreme stick? I get the typical lousy results with the current, widely available stick (which I now only use for head shaving: it does fine for that).

P.S. To malocchio: My son has been doing biodiversity research re Kili.
..........Kilimanjaro is a great place,the Chaga tribe are somewhat boring compared to other tribes....the Supreme stick is long gone,but I'm pretty sure the current non tallow bowl is the same formula....

So far this is what we have...Amber House bought the rights to use the name "Erasmic" about a year ago from Keystone products....They reformulated the stick ,in the red box,to a worthless tallow throw away.The black tub seems to be the old Supreme formula,but my tub says Amberhouse,and has a red plastic band around it,the Keystone was black and silver.Here is an email from Amberhouse to a fellow wet shaver ,and yes, I have sent an email to Amberhouse letting them know how bad this reformulation is,hope others do the same,their email address is above....I'm sure if they bought the rights to Erasmic,they have inherited the formulas going back 100 years.I would gladly see them raise the price,and give us the soap they produced prior to WW2...

Attachments

• $erasssss.jpg
    $erasssss.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 112
  • $erasmic-shaving-soap-in-bowl.jpg
    $erasmic-shaving-soap-in-bowl.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 110
  • $IMG_0001.jpg
    $IMG_0001.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 112
This thread just reminded me I have 3 bowls of the old Keyline product stuffed away in the back of a drawer. I should pull one out and try it!

The Erasmic in the black bowl is (or, was) an excellent budget soap. I'm sure this is B&B heresy, but I actually like it more than the highly touted English shaving soaps.

So the red box erasmic stick is a crap?I wonder if it is better than other sticks such as boots,palmolive,wilkinson.
It must have been a great reformulation since i see tallow in the ingredient list.

Top Bottom