What's new

Sartorial Shaving Soap? Worth the scent?

Hi All,

So, I've been sampling different soaps and colognes hoping to find a scent that i really get along with- and I found today that I quite like Sartorial by Penhaligons. Its the first scent that I would consider buying a puck of.

The main factor in buying the soap would be the scent. I've heard mixed things about performance. So, i'd love to hear your experience with Penhaligons shave soaps.(and perhaps other high-end soaps from fragrance makers). How long does the fragrance last?

I could always get a lightly scented soap and the cologne. But, I work in close contact with clients and I really like the idea of a subtle scent lingering from my shave soap- as opposed to risking too much cologne, if that makes sense?

So, really, the big question is whether getting the shave soap mainly because of the scent is a good idea?

p.s

I've also heard of putting a few drops of cologne/aftershave in a soap right before shaving as a good way to choice the fragrance for your shave. Any thoughts/advise on that? Maybe that'll be the way to go here?

Many thanks in advance!

I've never used any Penhaligon product; but the two pucks I love the most, Saint Charles Shave Neroli and Tcheon Fung Sing Bergamotto Neroli hard soap, keep their scents while I whip up the lather and through my 2+ passes. I use aftershaves and balms with the same fragrance, but the nice aromas pass fairly quickly. I don't mind; I'm always bucked up by the pleasant smells I have surrounded myself with.

Yes, I do sometimes put a few drops of the appropriate aftershave splash (or balm) onto my puck before I twist on the lid.

I have not tried the Sartorial soap but I have heard plenty of good things about it. By all means buy the soap for its scent but please don't expect the scent to last much beyond your shave.
Personally, I would buy the Cologne and simply be judicious in its use.

I wore Sartorial today. One of my favorites from Penhaligon. It goes very well with Classic Clubman. It isn't overly strong, and mellows an hour or so after application.

For me, I buy soap for the impact on the air in my bathroom. By the time I apply AS and Cologne, the soap scent is pretty much gone from my face.

I've bought one of their reformulated version of English fern and Belheim bouquet.
The scents are really great but totally non latherable.
Since they are very expensive I'm in the delimma of using them as shave soap or add glycine for better lathering.

They have reformulated their shave soaps since the first, disastrous reformulation, and the reviews for latherability and performance have been much better. Sartorial and Bayolea both have only been made with the new, decently performing version of the soap.

If you haven't already, be sure to give Stirling a gander. Great performing soap with great, aromatic, scents. Plenty of scent options.

Thanks fellas!

I think that some soap scents linger for at least a little while, at least that's been my experience.

But, point taken that the point of scent in soap is mostly for the shave itself.

Shame there isn't a sartorial AS, I think that's really what I'm after.

Oh well, I might try the soap anyhow: I don't think that the recent reviews say that it's performance is bad. But, if I can't get better performance from- say- MDC with a little cologne then that's the way it has to be. No point not shaving with the best soap just because of a short blast of scent I guess.

A total sidenote, and I may post this in another thread, but I heard that Ian Fleming only used the scent of his soap and AS- NO cologne. What do you fellas think of that? I look up to Mr. Fleming as a gentlemen with taste, so thats why I'm asking.

Thanks fellas!

I think that some soap scents linger for at least a little while, at least that's been my experience.

But, point taken that the point of scent in soap is mostly for the shave itself.

Shame there isn't a sartorial AS, I think that's really what I'm after.

Oh well, I might try the soap anyhow: I don't think that the recent reviews say that it's performance is bad. But, if I can't get better performance from- say- MDC with a little cologne then that's the way it has to be. No point not shaving with the best soap just because of a short blast of scent I guess.

A total sidenote, and I may post this in another thread, but I heard that Ian Fleming only used the scent of his soap and AS- NO cologne. What do you fellas think of that? I look up to Mr. Fleming as a gentlemen with taste, so thats why I'm asking.

As someone who has never applied cologne to myself in my life, relying only on soap scent + AS, I can personally attest to Mr. Fleming's class and taste. :001_smile

Cheers beginish! I think its a good soap/AS combo that I'm really after. Do you personally think its folly to rely on the sartorial soap alone to give me the scent I'm after? (they don't make an aftershave, though they do make deodorant with the smell)

I have Sartorial soap and it is a fine performer. I don't rely on soap for a lasting scent. That said, have you tried Harris Arlington? A great citrus and fern scent, English triple milled, great performer and they make an aftershave. That would be my choice. YMMV.

Thanks for the tip shmuel! I've had my eye on Arlington, but no I haven't tried it. Sartorial is just so darn unique.

How would you compare Sartorial with some other 'high-end' soaps you might have tried?

I have the most recent (2nd reformulation) blenheim bouquet shave soap and it is fantastic. Very stable slick lather. Can't speak to the sartorial scent, but if the ingredients are the same as the new BB go for it. You won't regret it.

I have the most recent (2nd reformulation) blenheim bouquet shave soap and it is fantastic. Very stable slick lather. Can't speak to the sartorial scent, but if the ingredients are the same as the new BB go for it. You won't regret it.

Also got a BB puck recently, and it's an excellent performer.

Cheers beginish! I think its a good soap/AS combo that I'm really after. Do you personally think its folly to rely on the sartorial soap alone to give me the scent I'm after? (they don't make an aftershave, though they do make deodorant with the smell)

It all depends. I have some soaps whose scents stick around on me a good while (Pen's English Fern, Provence Sante Green Tea, for example), others are gone after the rinse. The only way to know is to try, as everyone has a different chemistry. Don't be surprised if Penhaligon's comes out with a Sartorial-scented balm or splash at some point, and if they do, those are potent and long lasting (based on my experience using Blenheim Bouquet and Endymion balms).

Since you have found the scent that really seems to meet your needs, perhaps you should consider using the EdT and mixing it with alcohol, witch hazel, glycerin, jojoba oil, etc to create your own after shave.
It really is a shame that Penhaligon's hasn't issued so many of their scents as aftershaves because they make some wonderful scents and their aftershave formulation is a very good one.

Cracking good idea adelphos! I may do just that. I currently have a sampler of high-end soaps/creams (MDC, ABC etc.) that I am working through. I have a feeling that the performance of one of these might 'grab' me. But, it really would be nice to have a sartorial AS (even if I have to make it!).

Top Bottom