What's new

Suggestions Needed for a large handled antique brush

I really like the professional style boar brushes from Omega. I've been wanting to get an old brush and fix it up and put a nice large boar knot into it. The problem is that I also like large handles. All of my old brushes that I've collected have smaller handles. I have a rubberset aluminum #4. While it's a gorgeous brush, I find the handle too small for my taste as a user. Does anyone have any suggestions of brushes that I should look for?

Thanks

Mike H

Instagram Famous
That is a tough one. The Rubberset 200-4 is the largest vintage brush I have used.
200-4
Ferrule ID: 28.5mm
Handle height: 86.4mm
Handle: Bakelite, hollow
Ferrule: Alberite
Hair: originally boar
Weight: 30g (without knot)

The 49-4 is bigger, but I have not handled one.
$Capture.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Vintage-S...644?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a6ac5874

Last edited:
When you say "too small", do you mean length, diameter, heft, all of the above?

Building on Mike's comments, I have Rubberset 200-1's through 200-6's and I actually find the 200-2 and the 200-3 to be a bit heftier than the -4's:

200-2 (without knot)
Ferrule ID: 23.7mm
Handle height: 79.8mm
Handle: Celluloid, hollow
Weight: 37g (without knot)

200-3
Ferrule ID: 24.6mm
Handle height: 80.7mm
Total height: 143.3mm
Handle: Celluloid
Hair: Boar
Weight (with knot): 70g

200-4 (without knot)
Ferrule ID: 28.5mm
Handle height: 86.4mm
Handle: Celluloid, hollow
Weight: 30g (without knot) and, yes, lighter than the smaller 200-2

Thanks. I'm used to the Omega Pro style handles so I'm looking for diameter (and a little heft). I was thinking the 200 and the 49-4 may have more heft, but not diameter. I have some brushes like this and I need to see what I have. I am looking for more of a larger diameter handled brush.

If you get tired of looking, or simply want a large brush while you are still looking, consider a Whipped Dog 30 mm handle. I have two that I made up with other knots, and two that I made up with Whipped Dog knots. The handle is nicely shaped for a brush that size and looks nice too.

Top Bottom