What's new

Alum effectiveness verified ~ another expensive item eliminated thanks to B&B

So when I started investigating dumping carts 6 months ago, I saw this alum block on a couple of shaving videos. I'm 54 and have always wet shaved, but with a Gillette Sensor for 25 years, since they first came on the market. I was tired of the expense of the cartridges and stumbled on DE shaving onlne. Anyway, I had never heard of alum before and googled it and saw things about it used as a deodorant. I had purchased a Razorock travel sized stick and subsequently found a large alum block at an Indian Market for $1.99 and bought that. I used the block for my face and the RR stick for my underarms starting around February. I apply the stick rather heavily on wet pits out of the shower and waited until the warmer weather to see if it really works, as I work inside and don't really worry about odor there. Today we had a break from all the rain here in Texas and I did a large amount of physical yardwork in 88 degree heat with 95% humidity and sweated profusely. I came inside to shower, took my shirt off, and got a beer. My wife was there in the kitchen and I off-handedly asked her to smell my underarm....weird, and I'm surprised that she agreed, but she said "no smell". I used to use Right Guard antiperspirant gel everyday and would get clogged pores and large sebacious-sist-like boils from it commonly. I knew I was doing something my body hated by clogging those pores with goop. Now, I'm going to sweat, but keep the bacteria controlled naturally thanks to what I learned here. Thanks, guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Been using an alum block as a deodorant for 9 years running. No more yellow stains in my t-shirts nor chemicals to clog the pores.

Learned about it on this site also, so what i have saved on deodorant and antiperspirant gets spent on shave gear!

marty

The only thing that worries me is I thought there were articles written about the use of alum and other metals that contributed to neurological disorders. Of course, as I get older I forget things so I am not sure if any of it is founded.

The only thing that worries me is I thought there were articles written about the use of alum and other metals that contributed to neurological disorders. Of course, as I get older I forget things so I am not sure if any of it is founded.
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/antiperspirant-facts-safety?page=2
"There was a lot of research that looked at the link betweenAlzheimer's and aluminum, and there hasn't been any definitive evidence to suggest there is a link," says Heather M. Snyder, PhD, senior associate director of medical and scientific relations for the Alzheimer's Association.
According to the experts interviewed for this story, the aluminum in antiperspirants doesn't even typically make its way into the body.
"The aluminum salts do not work as antiperspirants by being absorbed in the body. They work by forming a chemical reaction with the water in the sweat to form a physical plug... which is deposited in the sweat duct, producing a blockage in the areas that it's applied," says David Pariser, MD, professor of dermatology at Eastern Virginia Medical School and past president of the American Academy of Dermatology. "Even [with] nicks from shaving, the amount is so negligible that it doesn't make a whole lot of scientific sense."
In short: No. There is no real scientific evidence that aluminum or any of the other ingredients in these products pose any threat to human health.
"These products can be used with high confidence of their safety. They've been used for many years, and there's no evidence that suggests a problem," says John Bailey, PhD,

Last edited:
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/antiperspirant-facts-safety?page=2
"There was a lot of research that looked at the link betweenAlzheimer's and aluminum, and there hasn't been any definitive evidence to suggest there is a link," says Heather M. Snyder, PhD, senior associate director of medical and scientific relations for the Alzheimer's Association.
According to the experts interviewed for this story, the aluminum in antiperspirants doesn't even typically make its way into the body.
"The aluminum salts do not work as antiperspirants by being absorbed in the body. They work by forming a chemical reaction with the water in the sweat to form a physical plug... which is deposited in the sweat duct, producing a blockage in the areas that it's applied," says David Pariser, MD, professor of dermatology at Eastern Virginia Medical School and past president of the American Academy of Dermatology. "Even [with] nicks from shaving, the amount is so negligible that it doesn't make a whole lot of scientific sense."
In short: No. There is no real scientific evidence that aluminum or any of the other ingredients in these products pose any threat to human health.
"These products can be used with high confidence of their safety. They've been used for many years, and there's no evidence that suggests a problem," says John Bailey, PhD,
...is just one opinion. Another may be different.

Did you know, I find it interesting at least, that some of the modern deodorants use aluminium? Expensive brands, like Biotherm for example. $20 for a stick! Those can and will clog sweat glands, cause discomfort, irritation, or even swelling and infection. I nowdays try to use something more natural, or with no metals...

That said, it sounds like this is a great idea and I personally think this thread is a great find for me, since I often have the same problems in my armpits as the OP. I wonder if alum block will behave any different that a reg deodorant for me.

I think I'm going to try this as it is encouraging to read the results.
Just to confirm, the alum does not leave yellow stains on white clothing?
Whe I used to use commercial deodorants which contained aluminum it stained my white dress shirts.

Why would use anything that commonly gave you boils? Anyway, I'm glad you've seen the light of alum. It's one of my favorite products. It eliminates the need for everything marked antiperspirant and/or deodorant AND everything marked 'post-shave healing balm' or anything of the like. Plus, one block lasts forever. I've been using mine for at least three months with no signs of wear at all, and, I've dropped it several times. I thought it would have broken, but, no, it's strong. Stronger than my bathroom floor, anyway. I use it multiple times a day as deodorant, and, almost daily after I shave, but, before I use aftershave.

I think I'm going to try this as it is encouraging to read the results.
Just to confirm, the alum does not leave yellow stains on white clothing?
Whe I used to use commercial deodorants which contained aluminum it stained my white dress shirts.

That's one of the benefits. It doesn't stain undershirts. You can use it with regular t-shirts without an undershirt. You should still wear a t-shirt with a dress shirt, though. But, yeah, you'll be fine with this. It's amazing.

I tried the alum thing several years ago. Didn't work for me. Ditto for the "natural" deodorant brands. I smelled myself in like 4-6 hours. Super embarrassing. Speed Stick deodorant used to work until they removed the triclosan. So I just use whatever antiperspirant smells good to me. Degree, Dove Men, Old Spice...I don't have a preference. As long as it works.

I do know that many years ago a guy I worked with was big time into weight lifting. He shaved his underarms. I have been using clippers to cut my underarm hair for over 10 years, when I am not too lazy. The antiperspirant gets right to the skin. It is more effective and I use a lot less of it.

I use Thai Deodorant Stone which is Alum. I use the blending guard on my clippers and trim down the underarm hair the same time I give myself a haircut. Its not shaved but its extremely short and looks groomed rather than a tumbleweed under each arm. The Alum works best for me if I wet the stone, my underarm and I apply it for a 60 count under each arm. I let the pits dry on their own after that. You can't just rub it on quick like most stick deodorants/antiperspirants. The Alum will only prevent odor before it starts, its useless if you already stink and apply it. The stone lasts about a year before its too small to handle easily then I buy a new one. Its 8 bucks for almost a year so I can't complain. The worn down stone is too small for my pits but its fine for my face after shaving.

I use a crystal rock deodorant stick. I've also found they last about a year. You need to make sure they don't get water trapped in the plastic part, though, otherwise that will shrink it prematurely.

I tried the alum thing several years ago. Didn't work for me. Ditto for the "natural" deodorant brands. I smelled myself in like 4-6 hours. Super embarrassing.

Years ago, I tried the alum block I got for my face in my armpits. I got the stink a few hours later, and went back to my normal deodorant. I have wondered on occasion if it might be different if I got some specifically marketed as a deodorant, but I don't see why that should make any difference. It's all the same stuff, yes?

I do know that many years ago a guy I worked with was big time into weight lifting. He shaved his underarms. I have been using clippers to cut my underarm hair for over 10 years, when I am not too lazy. The antiperspirant gets right to the skin. It is more effective and I use a lot less of it.

Actually, I do the same thing now. I didn't back when I tried alum the first time. I wonder if it might work better now.

Top Bottom