What's new

Left hand/right hand? Both sides of raxor?

Yes using both hands is awkward and takes time to adapt. Unlike a DE the angle of straight is completely adjustable and when I tried just using 1 hand I found some passes and positions it was almost impossible to get the correct angle of the blade but when using both it is much easier.
To overcome my fear of using my off hand I practiced with an empty Feather shavette.

It takes only a little while but using two hands is way more comfortable than only one.
Just go and take your time.
Each day you will get more expert and slightly quickier. As everything, you need patience and practice after knowing what to do.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I'm a right-hand-only shaver. For my WTG and ATG passes, the toe of the blade is always "out." i.e. towards my ear.

I tried using one hand when I started with straights about 6-7 months back as using both was awkward but now it feels rather natraul, what works for me is left hand left side and then right/right

I find I am a bit more careful with my left hand than my right hand(preferred), but it still takes some work to get the left hand in the beginning to do what you want. Patience, practice and remember to always have the blade moving before putting it on your skin to reduce your cuts! Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

I've been getting a little bored lately. I think I will teach myself to shave with my offhand left only. Once I get that down I will learn with my primary only.. The best YouTube shave video I've seen was Jarod at TSS. He always had two hands on the razor and always with the same hand holding the razor.. His video was 3 or 4 passes. Each pass seemed like it was around 15-20 seconds. His ATG was so incredibly confident. Unfortunately he had to pull the video because someone was using it for personal gain.

How much time. I have had 2 shaves started with a straight. With the grain. Feels like nothing is being cut off. The blade is real sharp. I finish my shave with a mongoose. I use both hands. Of course being a righty feel better with the right hand on the right side of my face. I guess I need to get more shaves under my belt like 6 weeks of doing this. I shave every other day. Any suggestions? My beard grows from hear to mouth or towards the chin. Should I forgo the N to S and just got ear to mouth? Thanks.

The only thing I might add is that using both sides of the blade is also good in terms of keeping the edge wear of the blade more or less even on both sides as well.

How much time. I have had 2 shaves started with a straight. With the grain. Feels like nothing is being cut off. The blade is real sharp. I finish my shave with a mongoose. I use both hands. Of course being a righty feel better with the right hand on the right side of my face. I guess I need to get more shaves under my belt like 6 weeks of doing this. I shave every other day. Any suggestions? My beard grows from hear to mouth or towards the chin. Should I forgo the N to S and just got ear to mouth? Thanks.

when you start...just do what you feel comfortable with...for most, that is a couple of with the grain passes...don't try across or against the grain passes until you become more comfortable with your grips, stretching, and angles.

a light touch and a shallow angle...you'll be surprised at how quickly your shaves improve...and soon shaving with your left hand will feel almost as just about as good as with your right.

The only thing I might add is that using both sides of the blade is also good in terms of keeping the edge wear of the blade more or less even on both sides as well.

I'd peg more metal wear on honing than shaving. And regular honing will easily address this issue.

I'd peg more metal wear on honing than shaving. And regular honing will easily address this issue.
You know I think you're probably right. I think the shave related wear I may be thinking of would be a result of only using the same section of the blade all the time (tip heavy shavers perhaps) and not using the full length of the blade throughout the process. But I'm sure it could be argued that this may have a minimal effect in terms of blade fatigue.

Top Bottom