What's new

Leather briefcase advice please

I've been enjoying the B&B forums for quite a while now...but need a little advice.
It is time for me to upgrade my daily carry bag. Time to retire the variety of messenger bags I have and upgrade to leather. Am hoping to find a well crafted, American made, leather briefcase with center handle (attached at center of top) with shoulder strap. In an ideal world, a lighter version of the Saddleback Leather Company Thin Front Pocket Briefcase. I have some money to spend, would like to keep it under $750 lets say. Open to vertical or horizontal orientation.
I carry: An 11" MacBook Air but will end up with a 13" eventually. Notebook, couple of pens, a few files now & again, IPhone 6, and the usual crap - phone charger, reading book, occasional lighter & 3 cigar case, etc...
Any suggestion and advice would be welcome.
Thanks folks!

Seeing as Saddleback is not going to work for you, I would check out Tumi. They make a good range of bags/briefcases and I have one in nylon which is terrific. I have only ever heard good things about them.

I know you are probably thinking the Saddleback thin briefcase is too heavy, but I've got the Large size and it's not bad at all. You would only need the medium size for the gear you're thinking of carrying, so I would suggest giving it more consideration. It's a bulletproof briefcase and gets a lot of compliments!

I bought a McKleinUSA FLOURNOY 85955 from Amazon in 2013. Very pleased with it. Can't say I use it every day, maybe 50% of the time I leave it at work.

I bought a Stickman leather briefcase for my son, who hauls it to work from Brooklyn to Midtown. When I first saw and felt the quality of this piece, I knew it was the one. My son loves it.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the suggestions. I think I have to agree that the Saddleback will probably be the way to go...once they get back in stock. Weight is a big concern and comparing some of the nylon bags (Tumi, etc) they really aren't all that much different. In fact, the bags I use now only about a pound lighter!

Last edited:
Torn between Saddleback slim briefcase with front pockets and Satchel & Page slim briefcase. The front pockets may be the final decider...could be more useful

Floto has my vote. Handmade and outstanding leather. The picture is of the one I have.
$MilanoBriefNav.jpg

Mitchell Leather or Saddleback. I've carried a Saddleback Large Thin BC in Chestnut for over three years and travel A LOT for business. The weight has never been an issue. I go with the strap about 50% of the time. The bag has a lot of character now and remains one of my favorite items.

Good luck with your search.

Maybe a bit more than you want to spend but Colonel Littleton makes some really nice leather goods.
https://www.colonellittleton.com/section/leather-briefcases-bags/

Bexar is right in your range.
http://www.bexargoods.com/collections/carry-bags-leather

This guy makes some really nice items as well.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/NormCahnLeatherworks

Can't go wrong with SBL though. I have heard some feedback on their "new" leather, some say it does not feel as soft and buttery as their older leather.

JW Hulme: full-grain leather, American-made, great quality, lots of styles.

I have the Portfolio in American Heritage leather.

I just got one from Duluth Trading. It was about $300 and has a lifetime warranty on it. I was considering Filson, but it was more than twice as much. I also considered Saddleback, but am not a fan of thick, heavily reinforced leather products. YMMV of course.

Top Bottom